• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Just started playing this. Thoughts so far.

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
2 months ago#1
After beating Wind Waker HD and finding it....somewhat average, I decided to take the plunge and beat the big one. That's right, Wii U edition Breath of the Wild.

First of all I was getting killed right away lol. It feels weird having to only get health from food and having to pick up enemy weapons only. I beat the first 2 shrines, but couldn't get to the snow one, so I got hot food to help me get through it. Took me a while to figure out the unconventional puzzle of hitting the gate with ice pillars.

Then I couldn't find the fourth shrine for ages. Lol, it was fire and orange unlike the others. So.....yeah.
The shrines always feel short, I know that's intended lol. Time stop power....

Not THAT much info given about what happened 100 years ago tbh. Seems a little weird, Ganon just remained static for 100 years?? He and Zelda just been swirling around? Where was the master sword and Triforce of courage? I dunno, maybe more will be revealed....

The tech wasn't created by those Hyrulians, but by their ancestors.....is this setting up a prequel, like TP City in the sky set up Skyward Sword?

Anyway, I had heard you could go straight to Ganon, so I decided to give that a try.

But uh.....those guardians are ridiculous. You need to keep hidden, and really take your time to get past them, and then the castle itself is quite difficult, those flying guardians also.....

It looks certainly possible. I wonder if you get a different ending.....
Anyway, decided to retreat and go seek out Impa.

Seeing a kind of flying city in the distance, some kind of spider climbing the mountain in the distance.....

It's a very different Zelda than what I'm used to.

But so far, this seems like the ultimate Zelda game I dreamed of as a kid. Of course it doesn't seem perfect, but the scope, size and atmosphere make it stand out. I do feel like it's similar to Zelda 1 which I beat recently albeit with much smaller dungeons.

I did get the DLC also, but it seems like I can't do any of the stuff till later in the game.

So far, yes I like it. If I had been given this as a kid, I know I would have spent 24/7 on it. I think I would have loved it even more.

I do think it's better than OOT, but is it better than my favourite, ALTTP? Well......it's different. I don't want to compare the two. They're both amazing. Maybe BOTW is 'better', but my nostalgia of ALTTP is too strong.

Oh! It's easy to see that this should be a Wii U game, the shiekah slate should be useable as a menu on the Gamepad without needing to press start. The offscreen play isn't really something I'll be taking advantage of, Gamepads distance isn't that great!

Edit 2: one side quest says something about Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Do I meed to beat that game for anything additional?
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Naruto_fan_42

Naruto_fan_42
2 months ago#2
You don’t need to have played Xenoblade to complete the quest. Age of Calamity is a prequel to this game, but it’s about the war with Ganon and all the gameplay is combat, so idk how you feel about that.

and yeah guardians are ridiculous early game lol
ok, time to go rewatch LotR again

User Info: cyberpik

cyberpik
2 months ago#3
TC, like you I got to this game recently. This game's world is pretty much what NES LoZ's looked like in my imagination growing up and it hit all the right notes for me in that regard.

I haven't bought the DLC yet; I'm fruitlessly hoping for a WiiU VC clearance sale in which Nintendo finally learns to discount DLC.**

The gamepad was intended to be a bigger part of the game, likely similar to WWHD and TPHD's usage but those features were removed to equalize this version with the Switch's version.

Feel free to follow the story beats that are doled out but don't feel compelled to go from one right to the next. Exploring and wandering are a pretty big part of the game. "Stop and smell the roses", as they say.

**Sidebar DLC Rant: A lot of gamers seem to generally be 50/50 on buying DLC. I think discounting it would push a lot of folks, including myself, into making the buy more often than not.

Sega9599
3 weeks ago#4
Hadn't played this for a while because I got stuck trying to do that puzzle in myahm agana shrine. So so so frustrating. I hated it. But....today do you know what I did???

I FLIPPED THE GAMEPAD UPSIDE DOWN AND EASILY ROLLED THE BALL ONTO THE LEDGE.

Lol that can't be the right way to do it. But eh at least it's done.

So I now have a horse, and heading towards my first locked mementos. Not really much more to say, that just floored me.
I think there was a weird girl in kakriko village inside the old womans house?

Anyway, concentrating on this game now. I keep getting distracted by online multiplayer other games....

Sega9599
3 weeks ago#5
cyberpik posted...
Feel free to follow the story beats that are doled out but don't feel compelled to go from one right to the next. Exploring and wandering are a pretty big part of the game. "Stop and smell the roses", as they say.

cyberpik posted...
TC, like you I got to this game recently. This game's world is pretty much what NES LoZ's looked like in my imagination growing up and it hit all the right notes for me in that regard.

It does.
But you know who's changed?
I have.
As a kid I know I would have played this non stop for a month till it was beaten 100%.
Now....I feel like I can't just pick up and play for an hour, I need like 3 hours free to get a significant amount of progress done. Thinking about it can make it seem like a manmoth task and even.....dare I say....a chore? at times, but when I sit down to play, I really enjoy it.

I haven't bought the DLC yet; I'm fruitlessly hoping for a WiiU VC clearance sale in which Nintendo finally learns to discount DLC.**

I am a little peeved that practically all the DLC is inaccessible until later in the game , except those crappy dlc plateau chests lol.

Things like money, I have no idea about. Is it hard to come by? Should I just sell rubies or will i need them for a quest? I have like 90 bokogoblin horns and fangs....do i need them or should I sell.....arggh.

Combat feels so strange. I can't just fight everyone willy nilly with my three hearts, even a blue moblin will kill me in two hits with a strong weapon. It's annoying, but different. Switching around to different weapons takes time to get used to. I'll start wacking away with a weapon, but the enemy will be leaning back to charge an attack. Previous Zeldas usually gave most enemies high flinch upon attacking, like there was enough time to knock them down before they counter attacked.
I mentioned wind waker above, and that game is similar in regards to enemy flinch, but.....the enemies do much less damage, health is easier to come by and...weapons don't just break halfway through combat.

That's another thing I guess, I feel like I have to keep restocking weapons and food. I keep trying to save on apples etc, but this isn't a traditional RPG, where you save potions and elixirs purely for bosses and can over level to become stronger. I don't know why I play RPGs like that, or why I try to play this like that. I should just take my 30 apples and cook them all, experiment, etc....but I keep thinking that's more 'work'. Older zelda games don't bother with that. It's different.

That's why I know it's me thats changed, not 'games'.

Anyhow, enough verbal diarrhoea for now

Naruto_fan_42 posted...
Age of Calamity is a prequel to this game, but it’s about the war with Ganon and all the gameplay is combat, so idk how you feel about that.

and yeah guardians are ridiculous early game lol

I like musou, maybe I'll try that next.

Telling me! I heard others say the game was easy to beat quickly by going straight to ganon....no no it really isn't....for me anyway!
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Rustykranz

Rustykranz
3 weeks ago#6
Lol, you can roll the ball thru the maze but pretty much everyone flips it. There will be many other moments in the game where you are presented a problem and can solve it multiple ways
Botw board and sequel board town drunk now and forever
lol
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: jojopellegrino

jojopellegrino
2 weeks ago#7
Rustykranz posted...
Lol, you can roll the ball thru the maze but pretty much everyone flips it. There will be many other moments in the game where you are presented a problem and can solve it multiple ways
How to do this on switch with pro controller?
Recanize a real don when ya see one

Sega9599
1 week ago#8
jojopellegrino posted...
How to do this on switch with pro controller?

Doesn't seem possible. It's not possible using classic controller pro on the Wii U, so....

I got to the red lynel tonight. This guy is such a step up from anyone else so far. Ridiculous. All my one handed swords get used up on him. It's difficult to get two hits with the zora two handed sword and block in time. My knights shield breaks before I can beat him, and that's really the only great shield I have. HE JUST KILLS ME IN ONE HIT!!!!

I literally gave up after retrying over and over. Can't try to use the bow, I lose that battle quickly against his electric arrows.

So frustrating, the combat is basically super different from previous 3d zeldas. It's not as easy as they were, but I guess it is a lot more freeing.

Realised I had 10 orbs and left to increase my hearts. Wasted my money getting the knight armour from the village near the tech lab. Powered it up at the great fairy.
Now I feel stronger!

But....not one npc said how hard this guy would be. I never know if I need to save money or what. I'm worried that, like the first zelda where you can choose heart or life, you can end up with uneven stats if you focus on stamina only. But I need it while climbing lol.

It feels so much like a shot in the dark half the time....

Also the horse kinda sucks. I thought it was like rdr1, where you whistle and it comes to you wherever you are. Instead, you have to be near it, for it to hear you. Makes teleporting around useless if you need to travel back for your horse.

And why does jumping while climbing use more stamina, but you gain less height than climbing normally?

It is annoying to try to climb somewhere, slowly making your way up resting on ledges, and then reaching a point where you just can't climb any more, before falling to your doom.

I did like being able to use the magnet to lift the chest out with the zora helm, that's pretty cool.

I don't know how to feel about weapons breaking constantly. It'll be nice to get something like the master sword and not have to deal with it breaking
(edited 1 week ago)

Rustykranz
1 week ago#9
You have to use the gamepad on u, it is possible. Pro controller on switch has gyro and i do it all the time
lol https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1542-wheel-of-time-general-discussion

Rustykranz
1 week ago#10
The lynel at shatterback, dont fight him, just stealth pick up the arrows. There are many armor sets you'll find that influence either def or attack. Alot are shrine rewards. Dont worry about weapons breaking and stamina, you'll learn to overcome that too and by mid game it wont be an issue. By end game, you'll be so op its a joke
lol https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1542-wheel-of-time-general-discussion
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Just started playing this. Thoughts so far.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A