• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Scraps

Scraps
9 months ago#11
This whole "no touch screen" thing never kept me from playing the game on either console, but reading about it does leave a bad taste in my mouth, to know that they did something like that. It's just the worst, harshest sort of reminder of what a business is, at its heart, when it does something so blatantly in favor of one group of customers at the complete expense of another.
Peace and crackers!
(edited 9 months ago)

User Info: Soup2eat

Soup2eat
9 months ago#12
I read that they left out HD rumble out of the Switch port for the same reason. They wanted both versions of the game to be the same (except for graphics obviously). It does suck that they removed a feature that was going to be in the game entirely just because they ported the game.

User Info: wiggum

wiggum
9 months ago#13
Soup2eat posted...
I read that they left out HD rumble out of the Switch port for the same reason. They wanted both versions of the game to be the same (except for graphics obviously). It does suck that they removed a feature that was going to be in the game entirely just because they ported the game.
But you do realize, from a business standpoint, why they did it right? Even though the Switch adds portability, cartridges vs. disks, and ever-so-slightly better graphics/audio ... if Nintendo had made the version on the Wii-U better purely from a gaming standpoint, it would have really impacted sales of the Switch and of BotW for the Switch. They basically had to make the Switch version 'better' however they could, since THE game they wanted to release the Switch with was BotW. Think about how weird it would be to have the older console's version of the game better than the new one?

User Info: Scraps

Scraps
9 months ago#14
wiggum posted...
But you do realize, from a business standpoint, why they did it right? Even though the Switch adds portability, cartridges vs. disks, and ever-so-slightly better graphics/audio ... if Nintendo had made the version on the Wii-U better purely from a gaming standpoint, it would have really impacted sales of the Switch and of BotW for the Switch. They basically had to make the Switch version 'better' however they could, since THE game they wanted to release the Switch with was BotW. Think about how weird it would be to have the older console's version of the game better than the new one?
Doesn’t make it any less sucky toward Wii U owners.

Besides, you talk about what Nintendo wanted — they wanted the new game on the Switch, they wanted the Switch version to not be inferior— but they’re also the ones who originally said that the game would release on one console. It was a Wii U game before it was a Switch game.

And Nintendo wanting to make it a Switch title was because they wanted to jump ship on their old console, and in so doing, they chose to appease those who could afford the new console over everyone who had already invested in the old one.

In short, nothing you said invalidates the point that it was a scummy move on Nintendo’s part by showing they valued the loyalty of fans who could afford Switches over the ones who’d already purchased a Wii U.

Imagine if Nintendo were to downgrade the game to ensure that its performance was the same on the Switch and Wii U, no matter how unfair that was thanks to the Switch having more processing power. Imagine that they did this only after demonstrating to the world how beautiful the game would look and how smoothly it would run on the new console. With that in mind, do you think Switch players would be content with being talked down to by Wii U players: “They had to do this to the game or else it wouldn’t have been fair to us!”
Peace and crackers!
(edited 9 months ago)

wiggum
9 months ago#15
Scraps posted...
Doesn’t make it any less sucky toward Wii U owners.
Agreed.

Scraps posted...
Besides, you talk about what Nintendo wanted — they wanted the new game on the Switch, they wanted the Switch version to not be inferior— but they’re also the ones who originally said that the game would release on one console. It was a Wii U game before it was a Switch game.
I know ... but their plans changed. I'm not going to hold it against them for that. It's not like some legal binding agreement when they announce that the game is gonna be for the Wii-U, and that all of us with Wii-U's have now been 'wronged'. I admit it sucks. But this point is irrelevant to me in the grand scheme of things.

Scraps posted...
And Nintendo wanting to make it a Switch title was because they wanted to jump ship on their old console, and in so doing, they chose to appease those who could afford the new console over everyone who had already invested in the old one.
Not really ... they decided they needed a game like BotW to truly boost Switch sales into the stratosphere ... so that's the business move they made. In the end, it's not like they took it away from the Wii-U and forced us all to buy a switch if we wanted to play it. I didn't buy a switch. I had the Wii-U, and got it for the Wii-U on release day (i pre-ordered). Only this past Xmas did our house get a switch, and we got it for one of my children. Point is ... they didn't take anything away from 'us' other than touch-screen controls on the game-pad. What they gave us all in return is the ability to play the same game on two separate consoles, not forcing us wii-u owners to buy a switch to play it. I think that's pretty fair in the grand scheme of things.

Scraps posted...
In short, nothing you said invalidates the point that it was a scummy move on Nintendo’s part by showing they valued the loyalty of fans who could afford Switches over the ones who’d already purchased a Wii U.
No, I just showed you this is wrong (from my point of view) with my previous response. They didn't de-value us at all ... they modified the game so that practically speaking, the wii-u version was no better than the switch version ... and they gave us the CHOICE to buy either one. So, I didn't wanna buy a Switch at the time, so I didn't. I think that's pretty cool that I didn't have to buy a new system to play the game. They could have EASILY made it only for the Switch ... but, they didn't, did they?

Scraps posted...
Imagine if Nintendo were to downgrade the game to ensure that its performance was the same on the Switch and Wii U, no matter how unfair that was thanks to the Switch having more processing power. Imagine that they did this only after demonstrating to the world how beautiful the game would look and how smoothly it would run on the new console. With that in mind, do you think Switch players would be content with being talked down to by Wii U players: “They had to do this to the game or else it wouldn’t have been fair to us!”
Honestly, I don't care lol. It's a video game. It is what it is. Play it if you want, or not. It's up to you.... they offer a product, you either buy it or not.

I'm not gonna sit here and get all pissy about any of this. The game is awesome. It could have been better, and BotW2 (or whatever the next one will be) is probably gonna be even better. Just keep feeding me good s*** to play and i'm ok with it. My world isn't so small that I have the time or energy to get upset that my Wii-U copy of BotW doesn't have a nice interface on the game pad like the WWHD remake did ... I mean, it would have been cool, but so what. If that sort of things warrants me getting upset, then i need to re-focus what matters to me.

User Info: Drunkie

Drunkie
9 months ago#16
^tldr
Drunkie

wiggum
9 months ago#17
Drunkie posted...
^tldr
lol nice.

User Info: wafflekings

wafflekings
7 months ago#18
gimping a game to sell consoles is YOUR game of the decade.

User Info: Council_of_Rage

Council_of_Rage
3 months ago#19
Yup, I was very disappointed when I booted it up and realized there was no touch screen map. Would have been nice if a map and/or a bunch of the HUD elements had been moved to the pad screen instead of the TV.
If I don't respond to you: you made a poor argument, asked a silly question, or demonstrated an inability to read.
http://www.twitter.com/nothxbro

User Info: perfectlydark1

perfectlydark1
1 month ago#20
It would have been nice if they had held back the gampad features until the dlc and added it to the WiiU version then, when the initial hype and console launch had passed.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A