• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Why is it called "Breath of the Wild"? *spoilers, maybe?*

User Info: kiwikenobi

kiwikenobi
3 years ago#1
So, Ocarina of Time has the ocarina as an important item in the game. We know what Majora's Mask is, who the Twilight Princess is, what the Wind Waker is, and why you could call it the Skyward Sword.

But I beat Breath of the Wild, saw the full ending and everything, and unless I missed something (which is quite possible, the world is massive) there was no mention of any special "breath" or even "the wild." There's quite a bit of wilderness in the game, of course, and there are some nice wind effects at times, but neither of these things feels like they justify the title.

So, did I miss something? Or is the title just supposed to be kind of vague/poetic/something else?
FC: 3823 9819 2729 (Mayor Kira of Zodell)
Dream Address: 4B00 000F 734F

User Info: garshanarny

garshanarny
3 years ago#2
I recommend this reply to my thread on the same topic.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632936-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75154674/876018285

User Info: kiwikenobi

kiwikenobi
3 years ago#3
Thanks for the link. I like the connection with the endangered flower that needs to be in the wild to survive.

Still not 100% sold on "breath," though. But it's a fine title, even if it doesn't have a super clear connection to the events of the game like previous Zelda games. BotW deliberately diverges in tons of ways from previous Zelda games. And it's a very good game.
FC: 3823 9819 2729 (Mayor Kira of Zodell)
Dream Address: 4B00 000F 734F

User Info: garshanarny

garshanarny
3 years ago#4
I agree, I just can't get on board with "Breath" either, but I think that reply made the best case for it.

If it had been called Spirit of the Wild, or something, that would work for me, but even the wilderness aspect doesn't seem strong enough to warrant a title for it, imo.

Then again, I usually don't like Zelda titles, so I guess this is par.

User Info: Wes62

Wes62
3 years ago#5
Breath has a strong connection with spirit. It's a good title, though. Breath is the power of breathing. It evokes a living thing, not just its essence, which is what I think they were going for with the world space and theme of the game.
Sig

User Info: Hades192

Hades192
3 years ago#6
Because it's a "Breath of fresh air!"
-from what we're accustomed to regarding the Legend of Zelda; this is much different!

The exploration, objectives and how you take everything on is chaotic (Wild) because there is no set order in which the game progresses.

Marry both concepts and "Breath of the Wild" makes complete sense to me.

Also, your very question may be enough to entice a passer by to raise an eyebrow and check it out.

User Info: Hades192

Hades192
3 years ago#7
Wes62 posted...
Breath has a strong connection with spirit. It's a good title, though. Breath is the power of breathing. It evokes a living thing, not just its essence, which is what I think they were going for with the world space and theme of the game.

Can buy into this as well!

User Info: Iwantedzero

Iwantedzero
3 years ago#8
I think it should have "Breadth" of the Wild. Because you'll be exploring the whole breadth of Hyrule by the time you're done!

...Now if only people knew what breadth meant.
Please, fill out this form.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/feedback?type=38

User Info: TheLostDreams

TheLostDreams
3 years ago#9
Wes62 posted...

I like this explanation

User Info: TheLostDreams

TheLostDreams
3 years ago#10
garshanarny posted...
I agree, I just can't get on board with "Breath" either, but I think that reply made the best case for it.

If it had been called Spirit of the Wild, or something, that would work for me, but even the wilderness aspect doesn't seem strong enough to warrant a title for it, imo.

Then again, I usually don't like Zelda titles, so I guess this is par.

Spirit of the Wild is already taken, by Ted Nugent.
Now, if they had put Ted in the game, THAT would have been a game!

And if you don't like Zelda games, what are you doing here, dude??
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Why is it called "Breath of the Wild"? *spoilers, maybe?*
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A