CONFIRMED: There will be no female playable character!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. CONFIRMED: There will be no female playable character!

User Info: AfroPrime

AfroPrime
1 year ago#171
Zonbei posted...
It's almost as if there's a gender imbalance in gaming, and people want a shift towards equal representation, not away from it.

Some of the most respected characters in gaming are female, and many games have starred female leads. This argument has never been valid or true.

User Info: SpreadManning

SpreadManning
1 year ago#172
TwinTail304 posted...
Chipous_McNugg posted...
So your reasoning for making link female is to increase the amount of female representation? That's a terrible reason and you know it. Making a token female option is not a good way to increase female representation in gaming. Go complain about them not giving Zelda a larger role in the story, not that they didn't make link a girl.

amen to that.

User Info: TwinTail304

TwinTail304
1 year ago#173
AceMos posted...
TwinTail304 posted...
Zonbei posted...
TheY2AProblem posted...
I might be in the small minority here, but why is the existence or the non-existence of a playable female character a big deal?

It's a big deal to some people because it would make a lot of people feel included and represented in an industry where they are often sexualized and made into jokes. It would allow little girls all over the world to pick up this game and see themselves in the hero, see that girls like them can be heroes too, not just damsels to be saved. It matters because it represents a shift towards equality in a male dominated gaming culture.

Why it matters to the people who are against it though, I have no clue. As no one has ever explained it satisfactorily, I can only assume sexism is the reason.

....ok, then tell me this... My SISTER is the one that introduced me to LoZ. My SISTER got me into the manga. MY SISTER has been playing LoZ before I was BORN. I'm the black sheep of the family, being a MALE gamer. Explain THAT.

did your sister ever get bulled for playing games have people say she is now allowed to play gaems have peopel at a store refuse to sell her a video game as it was not for her

I HAVE HAD THAT HAPPEN

No, because she was a manager of a local game store. So she obviously had skin that was thicker than RICE PAPER.

User Info: Zonbei

Zonbei
1 year ago#174
TheY2AProblem posted...
Zonbei posted...
TheY2AProblem posted...
Zonbei posted...
TheY2AProblem posted...
I might be in the small minority here, but why is the existence or the non-existence of a playable female character a big deal?

It's a big deal to some people because it would make a lot of people feel included and represented in an industry where they are often sexualized and made into jokes. It would allow little girls all over the world to pick up this game and see themselves in the hero, see that girls like them can be heroes too, not just damsels to be saved. It matters because it represents a shift towards equality in a male dominated gaming culture.

Why it matters to the people who are against it though, I have no clue. As no one has ever explained it satisfactorily, I can only assume sexism is the reason.

I don't give a good Goddamn either way. Getting into "wrestling promo" mode here; if you pick up a controller, I don't have two words for ya, I have six. Just get out of my way.

You asked a question, so I answered it.

People crying on both sides; got it.

Clearly you didn't, and I made a mistake thinking you were asking out of a desire for information.
It's a luscious mix of words and tricks, that let us bet, when we know we should have folded.
3DS Friend Code: 3952-7649-7276

User Info: Jakerific44

Jakerific44
1 year ago#175
Rizeroth posted...
Come on people this is a video game not politics. There are real female problems. Go solve them. Link is a beloved character since the childhood of a lot of people. You want to change him?

Apparently, they do.
And they don't care about real world problems. That's what modern feminism is.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/HikariJake

User Info: AceMos

AceMos
1 year ago#176
TwinTail304 posted...
No, because she was a manager of a local game store. So she obviously had skin that was thicker than RICE PAPER.

oh nice yea a person who get sbullied htere netire life must have thin skin i was speaking from experince i had crap like that happent o me growing up cus "girls dont play games they paly with dolls"
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*

User Info: Jakerific44

Jakerific44
1 year ago#177
http://www.themarysue.com/e3-2015-games-with-female-playable-characters/

Here you go. From last year. Here's your representation.

Back in the 80's, we never would have had so many females in gaming. So saying that it's still a huge issue is nonsense.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/HikariJake

User Info: AfroPrime

AfroPrime
1 year ago#178
AceMos posted...
did your sister ever get bulled for playing games have people say she is now allowed to play gaems have peopel at a store refuse to sell her a video game as it was not for her

I HAVE HAD THAT HAPPEN

Guess what, I'm male and I was ridiculed for playing video games and liking Dragon Ball as a kid. Nobody cares.

User Info: daniel1232323

daniel1232323
1 year ago#179
Just going to say. If reincarnation is real. I as a man. Who feels like a man. I wouldnt want to come back as woman. If i had a choice?

Pretty sure link being forever the same spirit, hes going to be man because thats who he is. Hes not just some avatar like some people think.

Man if i was link id feel offended and weired out by all these people trying to rule63 me.
you want mother in america? don't you know? it doesn't exist.

User Info: Zonbei

Zonbei
1 year ago#180
AfroPrime posted...
Zonbei posted...
It's almost as if there's a gender imbalance in gaming, and people want a shift towards equal representation, not away from it.

Some of the most respected characters in gaming are female, and many games have starred female leads. This argument has never been valid or true.

And a much vaster number of respected characters in gaming are male. Most games star male leads. So because we made a little bit of headway, and got some respected characters and some games, we should just call it a day?

The point of arguing about this in Zelda is that the mindset that leads people to spitefully celebrate when there's no female option is the same mindset that would gladly see us move backwards and have even less female characters in gaming. The people who don't BUY new IP's with female characters. The people who want things to never change. Change doesn't just magically happen over time, change happens because people argue, and debate, and ask for change. There wouldn't BE what female leads and characters there are, if not for people challenging the status quo and ASKING for things like a female Link.
It's a luscious mix of words and tricks, that let us bet, when we know we should have folded.
3DS Friend Code: 3952-7649-7276
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. CONFIRMED: There will be no female playable character!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived