Wow, these controls are terrible.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii Sports Club
  3. Wow, these controls are terrible.

User Info: PrincessTsuki

PrincessTsuki
3 years ago#1
I just booted this up again for the 48 hour playtime, and the controls are still awful.

I tried Boxing first, and it feels incredibly awkward. I only have 1 Wii Remote Plus, so instead of using the Nunchuk (which I'm now convinced would be more accurate), the game tells me I'm supposed to fight with 1 hand. In the original, I could just unleash a barrage of precise punches and have my opponent down in no time flat, but here I need to punch once, wait for the fist to come back, wait another second for god knows why, and land another punch. Good thing my AI opponent couldn't do crap either, if his poor job at protecting his face was any indication. I could've been in real trouble if I got knocked down, because even though they put in a slow tutorial, they fail to mention how to get up.

Afterwards, I tried Baseball, which was even worse. Even though I was batting just fine (or at least, again, going by the original's standards), the game wouldn't respond properly, if it decided to at all. At least they dumbed down the pitching, which is now operated by simple timed button presses. Good luck pitching a fly ball, because your teammates' AI can't seem to handle fielding on their own, unlike the opponent's team.

All things considered, I should really stop expecting games with Wii Motion Plus to actually be good, because it rarely happens when it's implemented.

User Info: jfeathe

jfeathe
3 years ago#2
I'm trying the 48 hour trial myself now and I agree that the controls are horrible. I have to recalibrate the remote after every point/hit in tennis and baseball.

I played baseball online and the lag was so bad I only made contact wit the ball maybe 6 or 7 times in all. Even offline, the timing in baseball was awful. I have platinum in the original Wii Sport's homerun derby, so I know it's the game and not me.

My dad and I played tennis last night and more often than not we weren't even able to return the ball after the serve.

The only working sport was bowling and I'm not paying $9.99 for the ability to play online with preset chat options.

I was hoping so much that this game would be improved, but it's simply unplayable and sadly, I won't be purchasing a single sport.

User Info: atomicx

atomicx
3 years ago#3
PrincessTsuki posted...
I just booted this up again for the 48 hour playtime, and the controls are still awful.

I tried Boxing first, and it feels incredibly awkward. I only have 1 Wii Remote Plus, so instead of using the Nunchuk (which I'm now convinced would be more accurate), the game tells me I'm supposed to fight with 1 hand. In the original, I could just unleash a barrage of precise punches and have my opponent down in no time flat, but here I need to punch once, wait for the fist to come back, wait another second for god knows why, and land another punch. Good thing my AI opponent couldn't do crap either, if his poor job at protecting his face was any indication. I could've been in real trouble if I got knocked down, because even though they put in a slow tutorial, they fail to mention how to get up.

Afterwards, I tried Baseball, which was even worse. Even though I was batting just fine (or at least, again, going by the original's standards), the game wouldn't respond properly, if it decided to at all. At least they dumbed down the pitching, which is now operated by simple timed button presses. Good luck pitching a fly ball, because your teammates' AI can't seem to handle fielding on their own, unlike the opponent's team.

All things considered, I should really stop expecting games with Wii Motion Plus to actually be good, because it rarely happens when it's implemented.

The controls aren't perfect, but they are not that bad either. How can you box with only one controller and expect to have an enjoyable experience? Seems to me that you are disappointed that you can't get easy knockouts by just flailing your arms. There are precise movements needed to execute each type of punch. It takes practice, but again, it is not perfect. Also, there is no control to get up. You get up from a knockdown automatically if you are able to.

As far as fielding in baseball, you have to catch the fly balls yourself using the gamepad. Your teammates don't catch them on their own. Pay attention to the tutorials.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii Sports Club
  3. Wow, these controls are terrible.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived