"Well, if you've read the books..."

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Halo 4
  3. "Well, if you've read the books..."

User Info: Poppadop

Poppadop
5 years ago#141
SrgtStalker posted...
In the books, you're looking from ONIs perspective most of the time, they don't like what Halsey did, even though they helped her with it, leading to all the bashing, Parangosky regrets letting her do it, Osman hates her for making her what she is, KiloFive have seen the files and just jumped on the hate wagon.

Even looking at it like that, it still doesn't make any sense. Parangosky is a bigger monster than Halsey, yet she's supposed to have deep misgivings about the S-IIs? Furthermore, why fixate on replacing the S-IIs with flash clones? Covering up the abductions like that sounds like something straight from ONI's playbook. Okay, Halsey did it without the queen of the spooks knowing, but if that's the only reason, it makes Parangosky look incredibly petty.
And then there's Osman. Parangosky is just as culpable for the S-IIs' plight as Halsey, yet the latter gets vilified while the former get worshipped?

Maybe 343i botched this part of the story; however, this wouldn't be the first time Traviss derailed segments of an IP.
"Today, science fiction - tomorrow, science fact." ~ Isaac Asimov
"What's the point of living if you don't believe in anything?" ~ Me

User Info: Scarfacepsycho

Scarfacepsycho
5 years ago#142
Lord_Spidux posted...
From: enterthemadrox | Posted: 2/11/2013 12:29:39 PM | #002
They got Karen Traviss

She is Satan.

It's actually "sa-teen."

User Info: Rockeign

Rockeign
5 years ago#143
I came into the series at Halo 3 and had a better idea of what was going on than when I came in at Halo 4 after playing 3, Reach and ODST. For starters I had no idea wtf a Didact even was and why Cortana and Chief knew.

Extended universe should be just that, something extra that compliments the universe and makes you appreciate the source material more. Not something you -have- to check out just to -understand- the source material.
[ ----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ]
http://i47.tinypic.com/5c0mk7.png

User Info: Scarfacepsycho

Scarfacepsycho
5 years ago#144
Rockeign posted...
I came into the series at Halo 3 and had a better idea of what was going on than when I came in at Halo 4 after playing 3, Reach and ODST. For starters I had no idea wtf a Didact even was and why Cortana and Chief knew.

Extended universe should be just that, something extra that compliments the universe and makes you appreciate the source material more. Not something you -have- to check out just to -understand- the source material.

This.

User Info: Demigod_Elessar

Demigod_Elessar
5 years ago#145
Rockeign posted...

What I think people fail to realize is we've known about the Didact/Librarian since Halo 3... the terminals did a very good job of explaining different conversations about the events of the Forerunner-Flood War. All of these terminals were in game.

Same with Halo: CE Anniversary. Once again, we get eleven terminals that extensively talk about the Forerunner's history (and more so this time, of 343 Guilty Spark). But once again, both the Didact and Librarian are mentioned in these terminals. And by the end of the final terminal, it is very foreshadowing that the Didact would be a future antagonist.

And now the Halo 4 terminals (which I'm sure most people haven't even checked out); they talk even more about the Didact, Librarian, and Forerunner-Flood War. Not only do they answer probably most questions needed to understand Halo 4's story, but once again, they are all accessible from in-game (albeit having to watch them rather in Waypoint, or online).

Seriously people, take your pick. If you don't feel like exploring the contents of the games themselves, and then complain about having to read a damn novel... then you know what? I guess you shouldn't (or don't) deserve to understand what's all going on anyway.

Poppadop posted...
I take it that 343i knew people that didn't really care about the story would get along just fine with what's in the game, and people that did care would read the books, watch FUD, and so on.

Once again, this explains how I feel perfectly. Get over yourselves people. Rather check out the terminals (which have been around since Halo 3), or *gasp* read the Forerunner novels (which, by the way, go off of a lot of what the terminals mention anyway). I just spent the last 15 minutes reading every terminal from Halo 3 and CE Anniversary, and trust me; even if you've never read any of the novels, you'd have to be a moron not to be able to piece it all together yourself. The info has always been there for you people, but you do have to make the slightest effort to actually access it.
IRON MAIDEN IS MY RELIGION!
Gamertag: Demigod Elessar

User Info: KageNoSenshi

KageNoSenshi
5 years ago#146
What's to be confused about?

-Forerunner planet
-Covenant orbiting for 3 years, broadcasting "Didact" on repeat
-Being found in stasis on Forerunner planet; probably Forerunner (he even says so). He's clearly not friendly.
-Librarian explains why Didact is pissed, and gives a likely reason for why the Covenant (who worship the Forerunners) hate humans. Also explains what Prometheans are and what Didact intends to do.

What's not to understand? What more needs to be known to follow the game?
MvC3 Mains - Spidey(Y)/Deadpool(B)/Doom(B) | Experimenting: Phoenix(A)/Dante/(Y)/Doom(B)
XBL GT: KageSenshi ------ Chikara - Chie - Yuuki

User Info: SupaflyGibson

SupaflyGibson
5 years ago#147
It all stems back to the casual state of mind that having to put any extra/outside effort into a game is a waste of time. They want everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. 343 definitely gives you enough basic story for you, and you know what you do if you play a game and dont get its story? Research it on the internet or read an eu novel. Dont come to a message board and complain about the developers "making it too hard to understand" or "not giving enough info" when the issue is you blaming everything on the game but nothing on yourself.
gt: For Spartaa
  1. Boards
  2. Halo 4
  3. "Well, if you've read the books..."

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived