• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 3
  3. General Tips from a Noob to Noobs (Possible/vague spoilers!)
desuno-to 5 years ago#1
This is actually my first Far Cry Game, and I figured I'd journal some thoughts & tips since this board is basically vacant and no one would mind. I don't plan on spoiling any storylines, but might have to reference locations/people/situations that you won't know about if you literally just started the game. So again, SPOILER ALERT!
^
^
^
^
^

Anyways, I'm the type that likes savouring games instead of rushing to complete them, so yes, it's been some time since starting the game and finishing it. I only started during the last days of the Uplay double bonus, and I recently finished the north island.

So my first big tip once you hit the south island, is that one of the first actual missions is to obtain an enemy disguise. As soon as you get it, DON'T rush to the next mission. This thing is a godsend when you first reach this island. You can travel to all the Radio towers and activate them without worrying about getting shot or sidetracked. It's also helpful scouting the outposts since, while the guys INSIDE the outpost will attack, the random patrols that drive by will not. If you like tagging everyone before going in, this makes it extremity easy.

It's also a great way to practice your ability kills. If you didn't get enough practice on the pirates, or didn't have the skills unlocked yet, this is the time to do so. You can literally walk right up to the roaming patrols which makes them perfect for chain/knife killing practice. I finally got the hang of pistol-steal kill with this too. You can even practice the double-deal from above by jumping off their own jeeps!
The only real drawback is that you don't get to see the Tataus as they're added to your arm, but really not many would care.

I think I'm just going to finish up collecting before moving on with the story.
The difference a letter makes:
"i'm with tc about this" - "watashi mo onani desu"
desuno-to 5 years ago#2
A big tips at the very beginning is to get the Japanese Tanto ASAP. There are enough Lost Letters between your starting point and the NE corner of the island where your first missions take place to get the item. You can buy the collectibles map, or just google a map and save the money. Unlike artifacts, letters are usually in very easy to find locations, and at least for the 14 in the area you shouldn't need expensive stuff like C4 to access them.

It's really important for a noob since you'll probably get caught blindsided in close combat at least a couple of times (eg Dogs), and the damage it does will get you out of a jam which otherwise could have killed you/

Going back to my game, played a couple missions... looks like we still keep the privateer outfit after the initial mission. I thought we'd have to give it back immediately, but I guess we get to keep it... I'm guessing until this charade is over?
desuno-to 5 years ago#3
Ok, so I guess there was no rush to do things with the uniform. I'd say the difficulty really goes down for all the sidequests in the second half of the game because of this.

Pretty nice that the game gives you a nice "Point of no return" warning - If you want to play the game & explore the island with the outfit, DO NOT SAVE After that point!

Note that if you didn't clear the inside of the main compound building of all the goodies, this is the last chance. Although by this time you should have way too much money than what you know what to do with.

So, last mission. Don't feel bad about not saving after the "final warning". The mission itself is intense, but not overly difficult, so you if you want to go back just to watch the ending it won't take up that much of your time. And wow, the payoff at the end... AWESOME! Just a stress free rails shooter that feels more like a bonus mission. But SPOILER! There is no "Final Boss" per se., so if you were expecting some epic boss battle you might be disappointed. Still, lots of fun.

Now the ending/bosses. If the MULTIPLE Spoiler warnings wasn't enough, here's one last one for you.
HUGE PLOT SPOILERS!!
v
v
v
v
v
v
The game often blurs what is real and what is a hallucination. Often too much. I was so skeptical that I had really killed Vaas, between the clones, his eyes opening after killing him, magically waking up back at the temple, I really thought that Citra was working with him, or at least, trying to save him from Hoyt. I was totally expecting him to pop up at the ending ceremony "Peekaboo Mother F'ker!!" (And fight him again - you know, the whole "definition of insanity" thing) in one final boss fight. The ending really left a lot of questions though. Like San's concern that killing Hoyt wouldn't be enough, and we had to go through this convoluted plan. In the end it didn't seem to matter. And that Boat that they fixed... how did it end up on essentially the top of a mountain? Was it built there, and if so, how would they have known it was seaworthy? And how did they get it off the mountain?? If there was some sort of underground cave/river network, that boat would have been tossed around and smashed within minutes, and simple physics tells you they couldn't have dropped it off the waterfall. Heck, with the all the marinas, it would have just made more sense to steal a boat from there. Or just use a patrol boat. Or any number of other ways that would have worked....

The other thing that I felt unsatisfied with was that you never got to see the bodies of the bosses you fight (All 3 of them). I know it borders on psychotic, but I think one of the payoffs with boss battles in games like these is being able to riddle the body with bullets, kick it around or blow it up after you win. Especially with these guys, who have been dicking you around for most of the game. But all you get is a quicktime event, and when you wake up from the "trance" you can't go back to the body because the area is locked or in Hoyt's case, just disappeared altogether.

So yeah, I guess that's it. All missions, sidequests and even every artifact collected so my tatau is really complete. My work here on the island is done. I've got Blood Dragon up next, and it looks like fun.

Anyone want this board? Have fun with it!
Peace!
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 3
  3. General Tips from a Noob to Noobs (Possible/vague spoilers!)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A