Suggestions on what I should do.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Silent Hill HD Collection
  3. Suggestions on what I should do.

User Info: BuffyCanSlayit

BuffyCanSlayit
5 years ago#1
I wanna re-experience these amazing games since Downpour has let me down so much, but I no longer have them. Ive browsed around my local gamestop and the internets. And I pretty much figure out, that I can find these. Combined they'll probably cost a little over $40.

On the other hand...

I'm well aware of the issues with the hd collection, but it's tempting to have one disc, and never have a reason to drag out the ps2. Plus, in most cases ( ill explain in a second ) the hd collection can end up being $20+ cheaper.

Oh btw...

I would have to buy a ps2 controller. Yeah, that's right.. I have a working ps2, and no controller. And unless i get one on the Internet I'll have to overpay, at either GameStop or my local mom and pop video game store. So there's an additional 15-$20.

So essentially, I'd end up paying like anywhere between 50-$70 to play sh2&3. That seems steep..

See, I have so many technical issues with Downpour. I've tried playing with and without the patch, and either way it's just not working for me. ( Truthfully i think the game is kinda is lame.) Which honestly, im afraid to even pay for the HD collection, especially if 3 is in as bad as shape that I've read. See 3 is not only my favorite SH, but I'd easily out it in my top 10 favorite games list. 2 isn't so bad either, lol.

So yeah guys, help a brother out. What would you do?
SF4AE: Dictator. Also Playing: Silent Hill: Downpour & Pokemon White 2.
PSN: Joneal18

User Info: NeoGrayFAQ

NeoGrayFAQ
5 years ago#2
I was sort of in the same situation. I ended up buying the Collection Day 1, not knowing how badly it would end up. I own SH2 on PS2, unfortunately I sold my SH3 copy a long time ago.

For me, the positives outweigh the negatives (though only slightly). I prefer playing on PS3, being on PSN, getting trophies, playing in widescreen, etc. The only reason I'm sort of okay with the problems of the Collection is because I've already played the games before. If someone wanted to experience SH2 and 3 for the first time (2 of the greatest games ever, IMO), I would immediately tell them PS2 is the way to do it (or PC, I suppose).

I would say the Collection is the cheaper and better option, but could also argue getting the PS2 versions is worth it. I'm able to overlook some of the graphical glitches and slowdown, but for me, the worst part is the freezing. Some people seem to experience it, others don't, but my SH3 HD can freeze 3 or 4 times in a matter of 2 hours. Not okay.

Bottom line: I'm okay with the Collection. It's sad Konami couldn't treat the series with more respect and get us a decent Collection, however it's playable, especially for nostalgia sake. Trophies (for me) give me a reason to replay the games over and over.

(Also, I didn't like Downpour, either. You're not alone.)

I would say go with the Collection.
http://www.backloggery.com/neograyfox

BuffyCanSlayit
5 years ago#3
NeoGrayFAQ posted...
I was sort of in the same situation. I ended up buying the Collection Day 1, not knowing how badly it would end up. I own SH2 on PS2, unfortunately I sold my SH3 copy a long time ago.

For me, the positives outweigh the negatives (though only slightly). I prefer playing on PS3, being on PSN, getting trophies, playing in widescreen, etc. The only reason I'm sort of okay with the problems of the Collection is because I've already played the games before. If someone wanted to experience SH2 and 3 for the first time (2 of the greatest games ever, IMO), I would immediately tell them PS2 is the way to do it (or PC, I suppose).

I would say the Collection is the cheaper and better option, but could also argue getting the PS2 versions is worth it. I'm able to overlook some of the graphical glitches and slowdown, but for me, the worst part is the freezing. Some people seem to experience it, others don't, but my SH3 HD can freeze 3 or 4 times in a matter of 2 hours. Not okay.

Bottom line: I'm okay with the Collection. It's sad Konami couldn't treat the series with more respect and get us a decent Collection, however it's playable, especially for nostalgia sake. Trophies (for me) give me a reason to replay the games over and over.

Ya know what the saddest thing is? I was asked by my gf which one i might want for xmas, and decided to go with Downpour, cause i wanted to experience a new chapter. Mistake.

These games are so good, I could almost justify paying all this money. But i do have to question if the technical issues aren't a little exaggerated. See, I haven't touched the HD collection at all, only Downpour. And I've had a lot of issues, whereas some people haven't had as many. But, I guess this is something thats hard to gauge. Atm, i'm leaning towards the HD collection, but thats only slightly.

The plot thickens though, lol. The gamestop nearest to me has a copy of SH3.

User Info: matt091282

matt091282
5 years ago#4
The patch fixed A LOT of the issues. The games, while they are not perfect, still run just fine. Seeing them in HD is great. It really bring out the detail even more. I would go ahead and get it. If they never fixed it, I probably would advise against it, but they did a good job with the patch.

The only thing I really miss is not being able to get the original voice overs for SH3. (Mainly for the original voice of Heather)

User Info: NeoGrayFAQ

NeoGrayFAQ
5 years ago#5
BuffyCanSlayit posted...
NeoGrayFAQ posted...

Ya know what the saddest thing is? I was asked by my gf which one i might want for xmas, and decided to go with Downpour, cause i wanted to experience a new chapter. Mistake.

These games are so good, I could almost justify paying all this money. But i do have to question if the technical issues aren't a little exaggerated. See, I haven't touched the HD collection at all, only Downpour. And I've had a lot of issues, whereas some people haven't had as many. But, I guess this is something thats hard to gauge. Atm, i'm leaning towards the HD collection, but thats only slightly.

The plot thickens though, lol. The gamestop nearest to me has a copy of SH3.

You're gonna get different answers everywhere you go. Unfortunately, it seems not everyone has the same issues. I agree with the above poster, the patch fixed a lot, but I still experience a lot of freezing in SH3.

How much is it at Gamestop? I'd almost say that's your better bet.
http://www.backloggery.com/neograyfox

User Info: JoveHack

JoveHack
5 years ago#6
BuffyCanSlayit posted...
I wanna re-experience these amazing games since Downpour has let me down so much, but I no longer have them. Ive browsed around my local gamestop and the internets. And I pretty much figure out, that I can find these. Combined they'll probably cost a little over $40.

I'd get the old PC version. It was tough for most PCs of the day to run it with the graphics settings all the way up. When I replayed it a few years back I could, and did, max out the graphics.

The fog was amazing, with tendrils so thick it looked like meringue.

There's also a patch to let you play in true widescreen.

wilsontajiri_27 over on Neoseeker's doing a Let's Play of that version, to show just how good it is.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/946/t1818739-my-silent-hill-2-playthrough-in-youtube/

I particularly would not like the HD version due to the changed voice actor for James.

On the other hand, I just play the first and second games. So you probably want to take my advice with a grain of salt.
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com

BuffyCanSlayit
5 years ago#7
I'll probably get it, and pray that I don't have anything to annoying.

Thanks peeps

User Info: tack129

tack129
5 years ago#8
I'm already too late but I might as well paste my opinion on here.

The latest patch made the collection much, much better. Not exactly like the originals but since these games were my first go I enjoyed them a lot. SH3 will freeze every now and then but it was not as bad as before (although I played Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas so I gotten used to it)

I guess if you really wanted to you can look for what's different from the PS2 and HD versions. Story is still intact. SH3 has some line changes but they aren't drastic.
PSN: tack129

User Info: Bob the Almighty

Bob the Almighty
5 years ago#9
I finally got around to playing the HD Collection that I bought months and months ago. I never opened it pre-patch but post-patch I don't have any complaints other than mild 1-second freezes here and there in SH 3 (you'd be running and the would freeze for a second and then you'd continue, like a little 1-second lag or delay here and there).

SH 2 is pretty much perfect, aside the water looking bad during the boat sequence haha.

I'm pretty happy with the collection to be honest. I've beaten both SH2 stories and I'm a little more than halfway through SH 3 and the games look, sound, and play fantastic, outside those 1-second studders in SH 3.

I also think the new voices are excellent. At first I thought I was going to hate them but after spending time with them it's hard to go back to the PS2 voices. They seem amateurish by comparison. I still have SH 2 and 3 on PS2 (in fact I have all five PS2 Silent Hill releases :p) but I don't see myself playing them over the HD Collection to be honest. Maybe if I still had a SDTV... but I don't.
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.

User Info: BlaziNNG

BlaziNNG
5 years ago#10
Hello guys, just came by to the topic to say that I'm going to start a playthrough of Silent Hill 2 in my channel of youtube that is called BlaziNNGaming

I'll be doing Silent Hill 3 and 4 too, I already uploaded the first and second part.
I am playing in Hard mode on Action and Riddle, using some tweaks to make the game play in widescreen and with
less bugs possible.
I'm doing this not only to play the game again but to show people that the pc versions are FAR better than the
HD Collection.
So if you want, go there and support with some likes and subscribe for more Silent Hill related videos.

Hope you like it guys
  1. Boards
  2. Silent Hill HD Collection
  3. Suggestions on what I should do.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived