• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Papo & Yo
  3. Thoughts on Alejandra *spoilers*

User Info: Jvalant

Jvalant
4 years ago#1
Hello. Firstly, I just want to say I love this game! There aren't many games I've played that have had the emotional punch of Papo & Yo. I've noticed people have different interpretations on Alejandra and just who she is in the real world so I figured I'd share my own views. I noticed a lot of people assume she is Quico's sister. I guess that's because we find out at the end via the statues that she was attacked at some point by Quico's father. I suppose there might be people who interpret her as a part of Quico's psyche as well. I found an article/interview that sheds light on the matter. Eurogamer interviewed Vander Caballero, the creator of the game. In case anyone doesn't know, this game was intended to be semi-autobiographical. Monster (Papo) represents Mr. Caballero's real life father. In the interview, Mr Caballero reveals that Alejandra is based on his first love, which makes sense to me. The way she lightly teases Quico and eventually kisses him at one point seem to suggest this. So in the real world Quico and Alejandra were either in a relationship or were friends who had feelings for one another or something like that. My guess is that Alejandra was visiting at Quico's house one day and Quico's father, in one of his drunken rages, attacked her for some reason. Perhaps after that incident Quico and Alejandra had a fallen out. That could be the significance of Monster eating Alejandra and not just tossing her around like he does to Quico. In the real world Alejandra disappeared from his life after she was attacked. Maybe Alejandra in the real world stopped spending time with Quico because she was afraid of his father and didn't want to risk seeing him. In the same interview Caballero says, "She likes you, but she's afraid of you, because you want to hang out with a monster." So maybe in the real world she stops spending time with you not because she's afraid of your father exactly, but she's afraid of you. Considering Quico's relationship with Monster it seems clear that in the real world Quico spends time with his father and helps take care of him despite the fact that he's a bad person. Maybe she's upset by the fact that Quico would continue to spend time with his father after she was attacked by him.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-26-papo-and-yo-preview-a-personal-puzzler
  1. Boards
  2. Papo & Yo
  3. Thoughts on Alejandra *spoilers*
  • Topic Archived