• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: popping4it

popping4it
6 years ago#1
i remember the hype at e3, this game came and went like air.
Still hoping for a Shenmue 3.

User Info: TheLastColossus

TheLastColossus
6 years ago#2
That's what it seems like. I read about it long ago from many places and kept my eye on it. However, when it was released very few news sources were talking about it. Usually games with little financing have nothing to spend on advertising and most of these 'news sources' only write articles and positive reviews based on freebies or actual money behind closed doors (This is how these news sources manage to run themselves and stay open folks. It's a sad state of affairs). So it seemed everyone simply shunned writing about it after it's release.

Purchased the game day one and the game didn't let me down at all. Very creative, very interesting, very casual, and not frustrating. It's on my top 3 PSN games.

Journey
Datura
Papo & Yo

I feel the three games complement each other very well.

User Info: duluoz

duluoz
6 years ago#3
I also played Journey and Papo & Yo back to back and am really glad that we have indie developers like thatgamecompany and minority media who are willing to go out on a limb and try something different.

Although Journey is the more polished of the two, P&Y is equally as emotional, more so for people who relate to the story.
Let's hope games like this continue to be made!

TheLastColossus
6 years ago#4
True...
-Journey is the most polished all around, both control wise and visually without a doubt.

-Datura is polished graphically while going out on a limb with the controls and trying something different. I've seen complaints about the controls (especially sixaxis) but I played with the GF and neither of us had any problems after about 10 minutes of getting used to the unique way Datura chose to control. Oddly enough the camera and movement are all the same joystick & the sixaxis was only bothersome once. It's still an amazing experience with great re-playability due to all the choices you can make within each playthrough. It is the shortest of the 3 games listed here though.

-Papo & Yo makes some really beautiful visual choices though it could benefit from being slightly more polished graphically. Don't get me wrong though, it's still VERY beautiful. However this isn't Santa Monica who are masters at tweaking and polishing every element by knowing the PS3 architecture inside and out. The controls only needed slightly improved in a way that felt more grounded. After playing a game like Drake with very fluid controls you'll kind of feel like the controls of Papo & Yo are more in the PS2 era of fluidity. This isn't a bad thing though and it never hampered the experience.

All these games are very existential.

User Info: Wozman23

Wozman23
6 years ago#5
I haven't played Journey. While I respect thatgamecompany, I just don't like their style of game play. I may try Journey out now that it's available on disc.

Datura was just plain bad with its clunky, disjointed mechanics, mediocre visuals, and lackluster choices.

Papo & Yo is easily my favorite in the games as art genre. It looks beautiful and the transformation of the world keeps you wanting to see what's next. The weight of the story is unrivaled. It would have been perfect if not for the few minor technical issues.
This signature will not change until I change it. 7/03/09

TheLastColossus
6 years ago#6
A little harsh on Datura. I found the visuals amazing. Every scene had great atmosphere and everything was well modeled.
The controls also aren't as terrible as you make them sound....
Walking/Camera - left stick
Grabbing - L2 or R2
Moving the hand cursor - right stick
and some sixaxis to turn nobs and objects.

What was the problem people had?
  • Topic Archived