• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. 1 TINY oversight is the reason we can't play RE4 completely off tv using gamepad
icecutter17 2 months ago#1
"RE4 Wii does actually support the classic controller, but the reason why the Gamepad’s buttons are not supported for Off TV play on the Wii U eShop download is because of a single, unskippable warning screen that appears if you try to start the game without a nunchuck connected to the Wiimote when starting the game (the classic controller actually can’t be used on start up, you need to first connect a nunchuck to get past that warning screen and then swap controllers after it).

As the Gamepad takes on the functions of a classic controller, the game thinks that you are playing with a classic controller connected. If the Wii U download supported the Gamepad’s buttons, you’d be stuck on that warning screen and completely unable to start the game, because there’s no way to swap controllers partway through when playing in that mode.

I actually bought it on Wii U expecting it to work with the Gamepad’s buttons and was gutted to find out that it didn’t work. I was even more annoyed when I went back to my Wii disc copy to figure out why on earth it wouldn’t work and found out that it was all because of one, single, stupid little warning screen!

We need a Switch version stat! I can’t believe that we still don’t have a portable version of RE4! (And we we’re so close with Wii U!!)"

^
I found this post, from 3 years ago, on another forum here https://www.resetera.com/threads/re4-on-the-wii-u-missed-a-huge-portable-opportunity-for-me-and-also-left-me-feeling-ripped-off.28663/ (post #19)

This is almost unbelievable, particularly as Resident Evil 4 is such a classic game.

The devs must have basically completely given up on Wii U at that point.

Tragic, basically.
Aka IceCat7 "even angels cast shadows"
(edited 2 months ago)
EvilResident 2 months ago#2
I mean, this game is on literally every other console out there. It’s not really that tragic.
---
icecutter17 2 months ago#3
EvilResident posted...
I mean, this game is on literally every other console out there. It’s not really that tragic.
I think the Wii version was literally based around Wii mote control, so they didn't even bother thinking about gamepad gameplay.

You're right though, I'll probably play this on another system
EvilResident 2 months ago#4
icecutter17 posted...
I think the Wii version was literally based around Wii mote control, so they didn't even bother thinking about gamepad gameplay.

You're right though, I'll probably play this on another system
Ohh yes that’s true. But if you’re playing on Gamepad that wouldn’t matter much

I played the PS4 version this year and it was pretty solid
---
darthcorpse 2 months ago#5
I just started this on my Wii U, but not off tv play. I am playing with the Wiimote, and it works really well IMO. I may not play a lot simply because there are 5 million ways to play it, and I don't have to keep a hard copy sitting around.
Now playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS/Wii U), Summoner 2 (PS2) and Alone in the Dark 2008 (Wii)
jimi_dini 1 month ago#6
icecutter17 posted...
We need a Switch version stat! I can’t believe that we still don’t have a portable version of RE4! (And we we’re so close with Wii U!!)"

What?
On Switch there is no Wiimote support.
Only the bad "Joycons" that are not only garbage because they drift after a while, but what's worse is that they aren't as good as Wiimotes.

Wii games that were ported to Switch and use pointer functionality work like crap because you need to recenter every few minutes, and that's all because of the garbage controllers.

Nintendo could have easily supported Wiimotes on Switch.
The "joycons" even contain an IR camera, right? So the only thing primarily missing is a sensor bar.

In fact Wii U gamepad does so, and you can play RE4 using Wiimote on the gamepad, because the gamepad has a sensor bar built in.

As soon as you went Wiimote, you can't go back to analog stick controllers, especially not for RE4. The Wii version absolutely nailed the controls.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
(edited 1 month ago)
Roundhouse kick
minchew91 1 month ago#8
But...RE4 is already on Switch??
Playing: Tales of Vesperia, SMT 3 HD, New Pokemon Snap
DFFOO Name: Charkol ID:548556559 Machina BT+ up
icecutter17 1 month ago#9
minchew91 posted...
But...RE4 is already on Switch??
Yes, it wasn't me who said that but the guy I quoted
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. 1 TINY oversight is the reason we can't play RE4 completely off tv using gamepad
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A