• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. 2 questions about Wii Mode, best prac

User Info: jojopellegrino

jojopellegrino
1 month ago#1
I have a U that I plan on playing regular Wii discs off of. My questions;

1. Since I will only be playing Wii games, is there a way to boot directly into Wii mode to play these discs? There was some kind of specific button press upon boot up to get this to work?
  2. When I get this going, do I need to have the U’s Gamepad charged and turned on to be able to play Wii discs? (I’d like to leave it off if possible and not worrying about charging it. I have Wii controller and knunchuk for Wii games)
thanks

*best practices* title typo lol
Recanize a real don when ya see one
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Quin1

Quin1
1 month ago#2
jojopellegrino posted...
I have a U that I plan on playing regular Wii discs off of. My questions;

1. Since I will only be playing Wii games, is there a way to boot directly into Wii mode to play these discs? There was some kind of specific button press upon boot up to get this to work?
2. When I get this going, do I need to have the U’s Gamepad charged and turned on to be able to play Wii discs? (I’d like to leave it off if possible and not worrying about charging it. I have Wii controller and knunchuk for Wii games)
thanks

*best practices* title typo lol
1. I don't think it can autoboot into wii mode, not even sure if it can from modding..

2. You can indeed just use your wiimote

jojopellegrino
1 month ago#3
Quin1 posted...
1. I don't think it can autoboot into wii mode, not even sure if it can from modding..

2. You can indeed just use your wiimote
I thought I saw a topic that said you can “hold down B” when the console boots to go directly into Wii mode. But B button on the Wii-Mote?

User Info: ColorBattle

ColorBattle
1 month ago#4
Holding B on any connected controller will allow you to boot directly into Wii mode. If you haven't done this before, the console will show a new screen first but this is not an issue and can be skipped.

If the Gamepad is within range, it will of course turn on and if you don't want this to stay on, press its power button twice. It should go without saying that your system needs to be up-to-date in order to do this. I'm certain you also need to have the Quick Start menu disabled as it defeats the purpose of using the B button method anyway. Even if a remote isn't synced, you have enough time to sync it and hold B and get right to Wii mode

Quin1
1 month ago#5
Thats pretty cool, wasnt aware of that, mind you i dont know the last time i used wii mode

jojopellegrino
1 month ago#6
ColorBattle posted...
Holding B on any connected controller will allow you to boot directly into Wii mode. If you haven't done this before, the console will show a new screen first but this is not an issue and can be skipped.

If the Gamepad is within range, it will of course turn on and if you don't want this to stay on, press its power button twice. It should go without saying that your system needs to be up-to-date in order to do this. I'm certain you also need to have the Quick Start menu disabled as it defeats the purpose of using the B button method anyway. Even if a remote isn't synced, you have enough time to sync it and hold B and get right to Wii mode
Ok cool… I have not turned this thing on in A while, Gamepad battery is definitely dead right now. I guess I could leave the Gamepad uncharged or just take the battery out so it doesn’t turn on.
Fairly certain my Wii-motes are paired already from before. I am not sure if Quick Mode is currently disabled though, I’ll have to test this out I guess and see.

jojopellegrino
1 month ago#7
Had time to fire up the U today.

Tried holding down B on my Wii-mote once plugged in. It went to the main U Home Screen. Ok, thought that wasn’t right.

Fired up the Gamepad in order to get into system settings. Went to power settings and I saw that “quick start menu” is grayed out. Standby functions needs to be enabled in order to get into the quick start option. But that’s weird, it let me turn on the console with the Wii-mote. I don’t want standby to be on. Left it off.

Powered down the console completely. held down B on the Wii-mote, this time it went right into the Wii menu and I could select my game disc from there.

(Even so, if it were to take me directly to the U menu, THEN I click on the Wii channel, that’s no big deal IMO; I’m just glad I don’t need the Gamepad powered up to get into the console/Wii menu)

I notice that the display is letterboxed while playing Wii games (4:3?)
Is there any way that I can get the display to filll my entire screen?
(edited 1 month ago)

Quin1
1 month ago#8
jojopellegrino posted...

Some games do, mario party 8 does here, the others we own all go wide, it will say on the case if its hdtv compatible and will run in 16:9

jojopellegrino
1 month ago#9
Quin1 posted...
Some games do, mario party 8 does here, the others we own all go wide, it will say on the case if its hdtv compatible and will run in 16:9
Oh so there’s no way to force it across the board? (I only tested by playing House of the Dead 2&3 and it displayed like that)

User Info: ColorBattle

ColorBattle
1 month ago#10
Quin1 posted...

Most PAL games may say this but absolutely no North American or Japanese region titles have any information on the case saying if they support HDTV. The only way to really know if a game supports 16:9 is to play it. Some games like Mario Party 8 and Wario Land Shake It "fake" their widescreen, meaning the game itself is contained in a 4:3 space but there are bars on the side of the screen as an extra when the console is set to 16:9 widescreen.
jojopellegrino posted...

To get Wii games that don't support 16:9 to fill the screen, you need to change the resolution and screen settings in the Wii U system settings (you also need to check and see what your television is actually set to first). Set the system to 4:3 480p.

1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. 2 questions about Wii Mode, best prac
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A