• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Decent third party gamepad chargers?

User Info: SolidSnake375

SolidSnake375
3 months ago#1
Have no clue how, but somehow my charging cable for the gamepad split open a little just above the connector. I've pretty much always just had it plugged into the gamepad (from the top port, can't plug it into the dock itself because of the way my shelf is designed) for the past 8 years since I got it, so I assume maybe the age finally got to it. I last used the gamepad about 3-4 months ago and it was fine then, and it's just been sitting there untouched since so I assume it just randomly happened at some point in the past few months. And no, I have no animals that could chew through the cable.

It still charges perfectly fine and none of the wires inside seem damaged or sticking out, so I taped it up with some electrical tape. Hopefully that's safe...? Never actually had this happen to a cable before. The rest of the cable seems fine, it's just a tiny half inch section at most that was cracked open.

I was wondering if there's any decent third party chargers in case this one ever does die completely. I've been looking on Amazon and eBay and noticed a few USB charging cables for the gamepad. Anyone have any experience with these?

User Info: Quin1

Quin1
3 months ago#2
@SolidSnake375 you could get a bit of heat shrink tubing over it to take the stress off it, if it goes completely just get a cheap usb to charge port cable and use, OR cut the end 6" off and solder to the other cable, then heat shrink up. Alot of third party ebay and amazon chargers are not compliant with relevant standards so I wouldn't risk it.

SolidSnake375
3 months ago#3
Quin1 posted...
@SolidSnake375 you could get a bit of heat shrink tubing over it to take the stress off it, if it goes completely just get a cheap usb to charge port cable and use, OR cut the end 6" off and solder to the other cable, then heat shrink up. Alot of third party ebay and amazon chargers are not compliant with relevant standards so I wouldn't risk it.

I was actually looking into this, but I didn't have any handy so I used electrical tape instead. I'll probably look into getting a heat shrink tube at soon though since I can't imagine the electrical tape will last forever, it'll probably start peeling at some point.

Yeah that's kind of my concern with getting a third party charger, hence why I'm a bit more interested in just getting a USB cable. I'd imagine it's probably a lot safer than something that comes with a power brick.

User Info: MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola
3 months ago#4
I keep my Gamepad on it's charger dock plugged into a USB charger cable and never had any problems.
"GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site." ~ CJayC

SolidSnake375
3 months ago#5
MrCokeacola posted...
I keep my Gamepad on it's charger dock plugged into a USB charger cable and never had any problems.

That's good to hear. One thing I was wondering, does it charge any slower with the USB cable than it does with the official charger?

User Info: MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola
3 months ago#6
SolidSnake375 posted...

That's good to hear. One thing I was wondering, does it charge any slower with the USB cable than it does with the official charger?
Maybe...? I don't know. I never kill the battery on my gamepad. I use it then put it on the dock and just let it charge till it's done.
"GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site." ~ CJayC

SolidSnake375
3 months ago#7
MrCokeacola posted...
Maybe...? I don't know. I never kill the battery on my gamepad. I use it then put it on the dock and just let it charge till it's done.
I don't let the battery die on mine either, I usually play it till the battery is at half or red, then it usually takes about 2-3 hours to fully charge from that. If the USB charge is a little slower then it's not really an issue, was just curious.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Decent third party gamepad chargers?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A