• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Wii U: Sells 13.56 million units, people respond with mockery and hate

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
1 month ago#1
Dreamcast: Sells 9.13 million units, people respond with praise and nostalgia.
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
1 month ago#2
The Wii U definitely has it's fans and the Dreamcast has its haters. Give it some years for the trolls to move along and let the Wii U hit retro status, and I bet that we'll see a more positive retrospective on it... as long as the Gamepads still work.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: sull56ivan2010

sull56ivan2010
1 month ago#3
Dreamcast had a lot of quality games going for it. Tons of four player stuff, online capabilities, the last true arcade system, good variety despite just over 250 titles.

Wii U: Bad name, poor marketing, poor library of games, bad third party support, Nintendo exclusives that failed to impress non-hardcores. High price for very little storage.

Wii U was a very poor successor to the Wii. This need to defend the system religiously is getting ridiculous. It will always be looked at as a disaster and a failure and one of the many f*** ups Nintendo has done since the mid 90s.
Nintendo and PC fanboys hate it when gamers play more than their games
Patriots fans: The most spoiled insecure bandwagon ever. Worse than Philadelphia fans

Gargomon251
1 month ago#4
What are you talking about? Wii U had plenty of good games. The only reason it sold poorly was because of consumers thought it was an "upgrade" like the New 3DS or the Switch Lite.
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi

User Info: sull56ivan2010

sull56ivan2010
1 month ago#5
Plenty. That's rich from a Nintendo homer. That's why the Wii U gets mocked and gets a lot of hate.
Nintendo and PC fanboys hate it when gamers play more than their games
Patriots fans: The most spoiled insecure bandwagon ever. Worse than Philadelphia fans

User Info: ColorBattle

ColorBattle
1 month ago#6
Gargomon251 posted...
What are you talking about? Wii U had plenty of good games. The only reason it sold poorly was because of consumers thought it was an "upgrade" like the New 3DS or the Switch Lite.

You should do yourself a favor and avoid responding to that guy. It's one thing to reasonably disagree but the stuff coming from his spectrum doesn't leave room for a respectable discussion...

In any case, I never heard anyone in person calling the Wii U an "upgrade to Wii" or anything like that. Even my old grandmother knew what the Wii U was (never bought one, but that console definitely wasn't trying to attract 60+ year old gamers....). That whole thing, along the "marketing" excuse just seems like a classic case of one person saying it, and then everyone else just following suit. When in actuality, the only people who flat out misrepresented the Wii U as a Wii add-on was Target....There was and currently still is a lot of nonsense surrounding this system and everyone is completely biased. Nintendo never created this themselves. The sad part is that the majority of these people who judged the console never bothered to even attempt owning one. It's one thing if someone bought the Wii U and returned it cuz they disliked it entirely. Preference is preference. However, I've disengaged from discussions with others who lambasted games like Nintendo Land or the concept of the Gamepad when I asked them "well, have you played it yourself?"...and the answer I get in reply is no.

I still don't see how you (this is an objective "you" , not you directly) could miss what the Wii U is after E3 2011 & when the console was featured numerous times on live and late night television. Demos existed in every electronic store (unsure of Europe...) Sure some clueless parents may have made the mistake, but then this goes way back to the retro era-- parents not understanding that the Super Nintendo was a different console from the Nintendo Entertainment System. To me, it isn't a valid excuse.

At the end of it all, some people felt like the console wasn't what they wanted in their own eyes, for whatever reason--some b.s.(like complaining about the high price when the fact of the matter is that when you buy a PS4 or Xbone you are basically required to pay far out the ass for online subscriptions and season passes if you want to enjoy any game--effectively skyrocketing the money you shell out on these platforms compared to the Wii U which contained everything you needed in box) Some justified...the abysmal battery life of the Gamepad still ticks me--however, even this console's successor lacks a long battery so that isn't a good reason to outright dislike the Wii U. A better reason was issues with third party support but this was absolutely never fault of Nintendo like it was with the N64...but that's a whole other set of nonsense for a whole different discussion.

Those minor issues don't make it a bad console. Especially when the software on this thing did a great job at complementing the hardware. Two screens was an innovative concept that gave the console a reason to be played. Nintendo Land and Game & Wario are impossible on any other platform and Ubisoft themselves proved and learned that no Wii U game utilizing heavy Gamepad elements is possible on any other platform with ZombiU. Personally, I think they did their best up until 2016 with this system. I don't know business and I'm no analyst, but continuing further with the Wii U as their sole home console might've incurred unforeseen losses. 3DS was still current and there's no way Nintendo could support it, the Wii U on the side and a brand new platform they were once hesitant to release initially. Remember, Sega died because of this exact same thing--too many resources spread out over too much hardware.

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
1 month ago#7
This isn’t the Dreamcast board. If you want to discuss the Dreamcast go there.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
1 month ago#8
At least the Wii U wasnt the Virtual Boy, it only sold 750,000 units at launch.
Died in less than a year and only had 14 games released on it.
Favs: Star Ocean, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776
Waiting For: Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Nintendo Switch system, Playstation 5
(edited 1 month ago)

Gargomon251
1 month ago#9
ArcFan10000 posted...
At least the Wii U wasnt the Virtual Boy, it only sold 750,000 units at launch.
Died in less than a year and only had 14 games released on it.

Yet people still treat the wii u like it was a "massive commercial failure" on a similar level.

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
1 month ago#10
Dreamcast sold that amount in a very short period of time.

The Dreamcast was absolutely loaded with high quality software for a year and a half or so. Then it all came to a stop. But what a year and a half it was! With that being said, the Dreamcast is praised for many things but being a strong seller isn’t one of them. It ultimately led to SEGA leaving the console market after all.

The Wii U on the other hand struggled from right out the gate and never really had any “glory days”. It also was Nintendo’s main home console for a longer period of time than the Dreamcast was SEGA’s main home console.

Lastly, the gaming market and global population were MUCH bigger in 2012 than 1999 so you can’t really directly compare the DC and the Wii U’s sales numbers. Plus Nintendo was coming off winning the 7th gen and expectations were high for them. Dreamcast on the other hand was seen as a comeback for SEGA after getting blown out in the 5th gen.

TL;DR the Wii U deserves its derision for its poor sales.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Wii U: Sells 13.56 million units, people respond with mockery and hate
  • Post New Message