• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Randomly getting back into Wii U gaming

User Info: Claytronic

Claytronic
1 month ago#1
Bought my Wii U back in August 2013, when Best Buy was clearing out the 8gb models for $150. That was too sweet of a price to pass up (especially since Pikmin 3 had just gotten released), and I went on to pick up several more games over the next few years (Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land, Super Luigi U, to name a few), and while I had fun, the system never truly made an impact on me.

Jump forward to August of 2019 after barely touching my system for years (I love Zelda, but just couldnt get into Breath of the Wild) and someone on Facebook Marketplace listed their 32gb Wii U system for sale for $75, which included Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land, Smash Bros, and a pro controller. This seemed like a pretty discounted deal, and I had always wanted a pro controller (and Smash was the icing on the cake, as I grew up enjoying 64 and Melee) so I bought the bundle with the intention of keeping the controller and Smash, and reselling the rest for $75 to get my money back. Which is exactly what I did. Free game and pro controller!

After falling in love with the pro controller in Smash, I realized there were more games I wanted to play on the system, and over the next month bought the following off of FB Marketplace for a total of another $75:

- Mario Kart 8
- Bayonetta 2 (w/Bayonetta 1)
- Yoshi's Wooly World
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
- Star Fox Zero (w/Star Fox Guard)

At just 15 bucks a game, it's hard not to feel like it's money well-spent (especially since I technically got 7 games for $75). And man, for someone who thought their gaming days were winding down, I've been loving it. By the end of last month, I had all 40 gold cups in MK8 (though I'll leave the triple stars for another day), a few days ago I beat Kirby, and I'm now alternating between Star Fox Zero and Guard. The controls for Zero have taken some getting used to, but I'm slowly getting better and better at it, and just now beat my first playthrough to Venom (I'm loving all of the Star Fox 64 references, of which there are many). Guard is intense and anxiety-ridden, yet fun. I enjoyed Kirby as well, but I will admit that it ended just in time, as I was getting a little bored with it (and not being able to look at the TV screen as you play is such a tragedy for such a beautiful-looking game).

Once the Star Fox games are done, I'll likely move on to Yoshi, and then tackle the Bayonetta games. If you're interested, here's the total list of all the games I own now:

- Super Mario Maker
- New Super Luigi U
- Super Mario 3D World
- Mario Kart 8
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Nintendo Land
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (bought on sale in eshop)
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (free from Club Nintendo)
- Yoshi's Wooly World
- Game & Wario (bought on clearance at Target for $12, the pictionary mode has been a huge hit at parties I've taken the system to)
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
- Pikmin 3
- Hyrule Warriors
- Star Fox Zero (w/Guard)
- Bayonetta 2 (w/1)
- ZombiU

Anyway, tl;dr, I've accidentally fallen back into Nintendo gaming with my Wii U. The (free) online works great for the online-enabled games I own, and it's been fun finally playing through games that I had been considering picking up for years, at a fraction of their launch prices. I doubt I'll ever get a Switch; I have nothing against it, it's just that I own all previous Nintendo systems (yes, even the Virtual Boy) as well as about a half dozen other game systems, and I need to draw the line somewhere.

For now, it's been great picking up discounted quality games for a system I already own, and I may get a few more down the line. Whee!
A friend of mine thought that he had an NES toploader, until I informed him that it was a Super NES.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
1 month ago#2
Yea very random
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Randomly getting back into Wii U gaming
  • Post New Message