• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. PSA: Credit Cards will no longer be accepted for WiiU eShop starting September
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-3DS-2DS/Usage-/Nintendo-eShop/How-to-Add-Funds-in-Nintendo-eShop-Using-Credit-Cards-1626660.html

As of September 2019, credit cards cannot be used to add funds on systems in the Nintendo 3DS family or Wii U consoles.

I am not 100% certain, but from my understanding, there is some new type of payment system which will become mandatory (I think it's called Payment Services Directive 2) starting September 14 2019, and neither the 3DS nor the WiiU's eShops are compliant, so starting September you will only be able to add funds with eShop cards and not directly with a Credit Card. (Not sure why they don't just update them... if they even can be updated to support the new systems... maybe they don't consider them worth it anymore to bother).

I am not 100% certain but I think this only effects the UK and not the US.

This won't effect the Switch.
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile

User Info: Glider

Glider
1 month ago#2
keep us posted if you learn anythin more...i kinda dont get it

User Info: TheReasoner1

TheReasoner1
1 month ago#3
Expect them to stop letting add funds at all pretty soon. Then shutdown, what, a year later? Similar to wii store.
signature

User Info: Inferno00

Inferno00
1 month ago#4
The Wii U uses the same eshop as the Switch unlike the Wii which had an entirely separate store. So it getting shut down shouldn't be likely. At least not while Nintendo continues using the eshop with current systems.
"Burn in the fires of Inferno!"
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Cyber Akuma Zero

Cyber Akuma Zero
1 month ago#5
Inferno00 posted...
The Wii U uses the same eshop as the Switch unlike the Wii which had an entirely separate store. So it getting shut down shouldn't be likely. At least not while Nintendo continues using the eshop with current systems.

If that was the case then shouldn't the WiiU eShop also be compliant with this new credit card system?
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile

User Info: excitebike64

excitebike64
1 month ago#6
This is a Europe thing. Something about new laws. Hopefully this stays a Europe thing, but we will know shortly.

But since I don't own a Switch, why does this not change the Switch? Is it already set to an account? No CC directly on Switch?
lovecraft223
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: SunbladeX-1

SunbladeX-1
1 month ago#7
So basically you need now to add money directly from your account?

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#8
f*** the EU.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#9
SunbladeX-1 posted...
So basically you need now to add money directly from your account?

You have to either:
Buy overpriced point cards (tons of scams regarding those online)

Or go here:
https://ec.nintendo.com/my/balance_add

And then add 10, 20 or whatever worthless EU-bucks to your account.
No, you can't pay the exact price anymore.
Now it's even worse than on PS3.

Thanks EU.
I hope you will rot in hell very soon.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
1 month ago#10
Isn't it something like two-factor authorization is going to be required to add funds to digital accounts? Since the Wii U and 3DS aren't capable of that and are no longer receiving significant updates, this is the solution.

I could be entirely wrong; this is just something I heard, and I'm not in the EU, so I haven't looked into it much.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. PSA: Credit Cards will no longer be accepted for WiiU eShop starting September
  • Post New Message