You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Updating Wii games on Wii U

User Info: Seriousmedic

Seriousmedic
1 month ago#1
As title, how do I update Wii games on the Wii U? Or is it not possible?

User Info: Littlefoot

Littlefoot
1 month ago#2
Updating Wii games? If you mean those you play from a disc in Wii Mode, those can’t be updated in the first place.

If you downloaded a VC Wii Game from the Wii U eShop, they should update automatically if any patches get released.
A dino with passion for games and technology.
Shantae may be a spirit, but i'm still supporting her as long as she has a chance to be playable.

User Info: yosheta

yosheta
1 month ago#3
Nintendo opted to not do software updates for their Wii software. What you see is what you get pretty much for Wii games. No patches or updates here.
Dohoho

Seriousmedic
1 month ago#4
yosheta posted...
Nintendo opted to not do software updates for their Wii software. What you see is what you get pretty much for Wii games. No patches or updates here.

Never knew, many thanks for the replies people..

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
1 month ago#5
Well there was that one bug-fix update for Skyward Sword. Don't think you can get it anymore with the Wii Shop being closed, but I'd imagine that the digital version that you can get from the eShop would have the patch built in.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
1 month ago#6
JonnyBoyFF posted...
Well there was that one bug-fix update for Skyward Sword. Don't think you can get it anymore with the Wii Shop being closed, but I'd imagine that the digital version that you can get from the eShop would have the patch built in.

That's not what that was. That was a separate app that would fix glitched save files. Skyward Sword had no patch of any kind on Wii. I don't know if they fixed the WiiU VC release.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t

Seriousmedic
4 weeks ago#7
n00bsaib0t posted...
JonnyBoyFF posted...

That's not what that was. That was a separate app that would fix glitched save files. Skyward Sword had no patch of any kind on Wii. I don't know if they fixed the WiiU VC release.

What problems did the game have? I only ask as I have the physical copy...

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
4 weeks ago#8
Seriousmedic posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
JonnyBoyFF posted...

What problems did the game have? I only ask as I have the physical copy...

In Skyward Sword it was possible to corrupt your saved game by doing certain things during the "Song of the Hero" quest.

1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to retrieve the song of the Thunder Dragon.
2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron.
3. Complete the Thunder Dragon's event, and receive his song.
4. Before heading to the forest or volcano regions, speak with Golo in the mine again.
5. At this point, the forest and volcano events will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.

Solutions:
- This issue WILL NOT OCCUR if the Fire and Water Dragon songs have already been collected before collecting the Thunder Dragon's song. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue.
- If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
- download the special channel that will fix your saved game

There is also a similar bug in Metroid Other M, where you could lock yourself inside a room.
(You shouldn't get that game anyway, because it's very bad).

Still that's nothing compared to the buggyness on the other 7th gen consoles, even when including the patched ones.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: VivaLaRazaLH

VivaLaRazaLH
4 weeks ago#9
Didn't they release a patch for the Twilight Princess glitch too?
NNID: ElvisTheGreat 3DSFC: 0946-2752-2990
PSN: ElPapiElvis GT: ElvisTheGreat

User Info: Atariboy1982

Atariboy1982
4 weeks ago#10
No, they didn't. They did offer to fix people's saves as I recall, but no save fixer was released like they later did for Skyward Sword.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Updating Wii games on Wii U