• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it still worth buying the wii U today?

User Info: Nodrog77

Nodrog77
3 months ago#21
The reason I don't get rid of mine is that it plays Super Mario Galaxy 1& 2, Super Mario 3D World, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, 3 Paper Mario games, 1 of which is exclusive and VC. It's worth it to me to hold on to.
Now playing: Paper Mario Sticker Star, Super Paper Mario, NBA Playgrounds 2, Kirby SA..Future Switch games I'm looking forward to: Bayonetta 3, ACNH
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
3 months ago#22
Yes if you can find one.
Favs: Star Ocean, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776
Waiting For: Final Fantasy 7 Remake

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
3 months ago#23
ArcFan10000 posted...
Yes if you can find one.

What do you mean... they’re all over eBay lol

User Info: hair_returns

hair_returns
2 months ago#24
I got mine and I’m really happy with it. If you’re a Nintendo person it’s fantastic. I can play all my Wii games, I have access to nearly all of Nintendo’s old library in virtual console, then HD Zelda remasters, and yes, the (few, in relativity) Wii U games themselves.

So, while I am extremely happy with the system, I do primarily use it as a way to play older games from N64 and Wii, etc. with Wii U games as a bonus.

User Info: PungentBallsack

PungentBallsack
2 months ago#25
Yes, I would say it's still worth it to have a Wii U in 2019. I say this as a Switch owner.

Of course you can use it as a Virtual Console machine, but a much cheaper alternative is to get a PlayStation Classic and mod it. It takes like 5 minutes and all you need is a USB flash drive. It will play any 2D retro game easily.

Ignoring the Virtual Console stuff, you still have a decent amount of Wii U and Wii games that haven't been ported over to the Switch. Here's what I recommend:

1. The three big Zelda games [Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD, and Skyward Sword (Wii)]
Wind Waker HD in particular has aged the best, at least in terms of graphics.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) and Xenoblade Chronicles X
Tip: Get the eShop version of the first game as it's only $20 which is a great deal compared to what people are charging for the physical copy

3. Tokyo Mirage Sessions
It got a lot of (imo) undeserved hate from critics at the time of release due to being marketed as a Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei game. It's its own game really so go into it with that mentality. I think today this game would be much, much more appreciated than it was back then.

4. Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water
Tip: It's digital-only in NA.

5. The Last Story (Wii)

6. Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)
Tip: You can get Sin and Punishment 1 (N64) from the Virtual Console

7. Fragile Dreams (Wii)

8. No More Heroes 2 (Wii)

9. Pandora's Tower (Wii)

10. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Crystal Bearers (Wii)
Dirt cheap because of low review scores at the time of release. However, a lot of people have said the critics are overly harsh and that this is actually a lot of fun. It's like a B-movie version of Final Fantasy games. Lots of comedic moments.

Well that's all I can think of at the moment. 13 games right there. Big ones I'd say are Xenoblade Chronicles, Fragile Dreams, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. There are more notable ones on Wii U of course, but if you have or plan to get a Switch, then they kind of become obsolete (eg Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8 DX, Pokken Tournament DX, Splatoon 2, etc. all supersede the Wii U versions).

EvilResident
2 months ago#26
@PungentBallsack do you know if you can use any usb controller on the PS classic?

User Info: samusaran18

samusaran18
2 months ago#27
I've had my Wii U for about 2 years, and I'm happy with my purchase! There's also have plenty of games in their eshop. I like using the Wii U to watch youtube on my tv as well. There are more games I still want to buy.

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
2 months ago#28
EvilResident posted...
@PungentBallsack do you know if you can use any usb controller on the PS classic?

You can use several of them if you mod it. With an 8bitdo receiver you can use them wirelessly too.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t

User Info: PungentBallsack

PungentBallsack
2 months ago#29
EvilResident posted...

@EvilResident any should work I'd imagine but I heard that ones that are really big (128gb and up?) dont seem to work with the PS Classic. I am using a 64gb and it's working fine

Edit: sorry I misread. USB controller... Hm not sure. But the regular PS Classic controller works for every game I tried so I don't have a need to change controllers.
(edited 2 months ago)

EvilResident
2 months ago#30
I see. I would just like to use one with analog sticks. Like the SN30 Pro controller perhaps
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it still worth buying the wii U today?
  • Post New Message