You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it still worth buying the wii U today?

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
1 month ago#11
hair_returns posted...
JonnyBoyFF posted...
The Wii shop has nothing at all to do with the Wii U eShop. Period. If you had titles from the original Wii shop, you can transfer them to the virtual Wii in the Wii U, and if they were Virtual Console titles, they would then allow you to purchase the Wii U versions of the Virtual Console titles (if available) at a discount.

Want to know what you can still get from the (North American) Wii U eShop? Have a look:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/#filter/:q=&dFR[platform][0]=Wii%20U

Thanks for this! Most succinct and complete info I’ve come across all day. And clinches my decision to get a Wii U.

Thanks; glad I could help. It's a great time to get a Wii U. Especially since you know exactly what you're getting into at this point with the whole library already having been released.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!

User Info: Heracylost

Heracylost
1 month ago#12
Well the Wii games and not paying 60$ for the Switch ports is good. It's 99$ for a used U in my neck of the woods.
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it. Lemmy Kilmister

User Info: AdmiralStiff

AdmiralStiff
1 month ago#13
Never was
Never will
You cannot stop me from getting inside
I am cold, I am hard and my name... is Reality

User Info: DeathSoul2000

DeathSoul2000
1 month ago#14
yoshimitsu888 posted...
TheRushDawg posted...
It has value as:

-A way to play Wii games through HDMI
-Virtual Console
-Something to mod / tinker with

The Wii U software library, on its own, has very limited value as most of the best games are available elsewhere. The Wii U versions tend to be a lot cheaper at least, so there's that.

I dsagree, the Wii U has many great games. Granted many are from the whole nintendo world but the same can be said about PS4 (god of war, The last Guardian) or xbox (Halo, Forza). Super MArio Maker, Mario Karts, Bayonetta and the not so bad Sonic the lost world

How would you know when you don't even own one yet?

User Info: yoshimitsu888

yoshimitsu888
1 month ago#15
DeathSoul2000 posted...
yoshimitsu888 posted...
TheRushDawg posted...
It has value as:

-Virtual Console

The Wii U software library, on its own, has very limited value as most of the best games are available elsewhere. The Wii U versions tend to be a lot cheaper at least, so there's that.

I dsagree, the Wii U has many great games. Granted many are from the whole nintendo world but the same can be said about PS4 (god of war, The last Guardian) or xbox (Halo, Forza). Super MArio Maker, Mario Karts, Bayonetta and the not so bad Sonic the lost world

How would you know when you don't even own one yet?

hmmm..I have played wii u before.

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
4 weeks ago#16
yoshimitsu888 posted...
TheRushDawg posted...
It has value as:

-Virtual Console

PS4 has tons of good games that aren't from Sony. The same cannot be said about the Wii U. Also, most of Wii U's great games are now available on other systems including Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It has Super Smash Bros 4, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon, but the sequels on the Switch make them mostly obsolete.
"When he at the mic you don't go next" MF DOOM
NS FC: SW - 1251 - 6932 - 4815 3DS FC: 4313 - 2332 - 4563

User Info: Nadster

Nadster
4 weeks ago#17
I'd say so. Even if there are games that were ported to other consoles, it wouldn't hurt to options.
"This is a quote."
My YT channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDl3L8bU5HG5OYROnYF3Ztg/featured

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
4 weeks ago#18
Vegeta1000 posted...
yoshimitsu888 posted...
TheRushDawg posted...
It has value as:

-Virtual Console

PS4 has tons of good games that aren't from Sony. The same cannot be said about the Wii U.

What? 100% of the WiiU library isn't from Sony.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
4 weeks ago#19
n00bsaib0t posted...
Vegeta1000 posted...
yoshimitsu888 posted...
TheRushDawg posted...
It has value as:

-Virtual Console

PS4 has tons of good games that aren't from Sony. The same cannot be said about the Wii U.

Not quite what I meant. I meant that the PS4 has tons of good games that aren't 1st Party unlike the Wii U who's good games are almost all 1st Party.
"When he at the mic you don't go next" MF DOOM
NS FC: SW - 1251 - 6932 - 4815 3DS FC: 4313 - 2332 - 4563

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
4 weeks ago#20
Vegeta1000 posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
Vegeta1000 posted...
yoshimitsu888 posted...
TheRushDawg posted...
It has value as:

-Virtual Console

Not quite what I meant. I meant that the PS4 has tons of good games that aren't 1st Party unlike the Wii U who's good games are almost all 1st Party.

That was the joke. But since good jokes shouldn't require explanation I take the blame for that one.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it still worth buying the wii U today?