• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it still worth buying the wii U today?

User Info: yoshimitsu888

yoshimitsu888
2 months ago#1
I might get a wii U to play some mario maker and a few other games.

Is still worth it regarding online interactivity (Buying retro games, mario makers and online, downloading this and that)?

User Info: Timinatron

Timinatron
2 months ago#2
imo if you’re buying it essentially for virtual console games then yes it’s worth it. Especially since it seems like the Switch won’t be getting a proper VC or anything more than NES games, at least in the near future.
In Rust we Trust

User Info: Tedmastr

Tedmastr
2 months ago#3
I was a late Wii U adopter (2016, prior to the Switch announcement but after a lot of games were past their peak popularity). I’ve been satisfied with my purchase, and I still use my Wii U (along with my Switch, 3DS, etc.).

I agree that I think it’s worth it for the Virtual Console selection, particularly if you have interests outside of NES and SNES. It doesn’t look like the Switch will see the wide array of platforms that the Wii U eShop offers for a long time (possibly ever, as releasing older games doesn’t seem to be a priority with the Switch at all really).

Mario Maker can still be fun on Wii U, but you likely won’t get many plays/stars on levels you create, as most of the community seems to have moved on to SMM2. For playing levels and making them without having too many people play them (unless you turn to online level sharing), SMM could still be fun, though. SMM also offers different costumes in levels via Mystery Mushrooms, which SMM2 doesn’t do, though there are a lot of other improvements in SMM2.

As for other games, it depends a lot on the game. A bunch of titles have received Switch ports or sequels, and it’s unclear how many more titles that will happen with. That said, there are a lot of fun games that haven’t been ported, and I think it’s worth picking up a Wii U to play any of those that interest you.
Main 3DS FC (Pokemon): 2466-2669-5197; ACNL 3DS FC: 3952-7603-8645
IGN Teddy; TSV: 2442 (X); 0616 (Y); 3854 (OR); 1359 (AS)

yoshimitsu888
2 months ago#4
Thanks for the messages.

If I can buy retro games (or wii or wii U games) via the store and enjoy whatever I can enjoy from SMM and its online content then I am good. I care not whether I can't enjoy some online multiplayer on other games.

User Info: Timinatron

Timinatron
2 months ago#5
Yep, you’ll have access to many NES, SNES, N64, GBA, DS and Wii games via the eShop. No shortage of classic games to enjoy.
In Rust we Trust

User Info: hair_returns

hair_returns
2 months ago#6
I posted this question on another topic, but information seems scarce everywhere and I’m hoping someone can shed some light.

I’m thinking of getting a Wii U, but some old classics (DK64, Prime Trilogy) are a big reason why. Can I still download these and/or other titles on Wii U despite the Wii shop shutdown? I’ve heard you can’t add Wii points, that some games were taken off both Wii and Wii U shops, that the shops are the same shop, etc. A lot of pieces of info and contradicting info to sift through.

Thanks!

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
2 months ago#7
The Wii shop has nothing at all to do with the Wii U eShop. Period. If you had titles from the original Wii shop, you can transfer them to the virtual Wii in the Wii U, and if they were Virtual Console titles, they would then allow you to purchase the Wii U versions of the Virtual Console titles (if available) at a discount.

Want to know what you can still get from the (North American) Wii U eShop? Have a look:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/#filter/:q=&dFR[platform][0]=Wii%20U
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
2 months ago#8
It has value as:

-A way to play Wii games through HDMI
-Virtual Console
-Something to mod / tinker with

The Wii U software library, on its own, has very limited value as most of the best games are available elsewhere. The Wii U versions tend to be a lot cheaper at least, so there's that.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg

yoshimitsu888
2 months ago#9
TheRushDawg posted...
It has value as:

-A way to play Wii games through HDMI
-Virtual Console
-Something to mod / tinker with

The Wii U software library, on its own, has very limited value as most of the best games are available elsewhere. The Wii U versions tend to be a lot cheaper at least, so there's that.

I dsagree, the Wii U has many great games. Granted many are from the whole nintendo world but the same can be said about PS4 (god of war, The last Guardian) or xbox (Halo, Forza). Super MArio Maker, Mario Karts, Bayonetta and the not so bad Sonic the lost world

User Info: hair_returns

hair_returns
2 months ago#10
JonnyBoyFF posted...
The Wii shop has nothing at all to do with the Wii U eShop. Period. If you had titles from the original Wii shop, you can transfer them to the virtual Wii in the Wii U, and if they were Virtual Console titles, they would then allow you to purchase the Wii U versions of the Virtual Console titles (if available) at a discount.

Want to know what you can still get from the (North American) Wii U eShop? Have a look:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/#filter/:q=&dFR[platform][0]=Wii%20U

Thanks for this! Most succinct and complete info I’ve come across all day. And clinches my decision to get a Wii U.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it still worth buying the wii U today?
  • Post New Message