You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. rpgs for wii u ??

User Info: Darkneo20

Darkneo20
1 month ago#1
besides xenoblade chronicles X does the wii u have enough action rpg and turn based rpgs to warrent a purchase ?

i already have a ps3 and xbox one x and a ps3 so i wanted to know if this system had enough of these types of games to justify purchasing it ?

i mostly wanted it for that and super mario 3d world and maybe a few wii games like mario galaxy 1 and 2 and xenoblade chronicles IF there is an option to play them w/o motion controls

i missed out on the wii and wii u cause i had a 360 and ps3 at the time
Core i5 6600k 16gigs Gskill Ripjaws 3000 ASUS GTX 1060 Turbo 6gig Asrock Fatality Z170 MB 240gig sandisc SSD WD Blue 2TB HDD XFX Modular 750watt

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
1 month ago#2
With the Wii U you have access to all the Wii RPGs, which as you say include Xenoblade Chronicles (no motion controls with this game, and I am very sure you can play my with the pro controller). That alone would be worth it IMO! You also have Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which is Shin Megami Tensei meets Fire Emblem. I don't have it yet, but it's supposedly very cool. I think Darksiders might almost count as action RPG, though that would be stretching things, as actually they're basically in the God of War genre...but there are RPG elements IIRC.

There may be more, but there's so the Virtual Console, which has things like Earthbound and Ogre Battle 64. Pretty sure I saw Super Mario RPG there as well, and it may have some other SNES and NES ones.

It's light on RPGs, admittedly, but I think the quality is high.
Now playing: LotR: The Third Age, Scurge: Hive (DS), Prince of Persia Warrior Within (GameCube), Final Fantasy V (GBA)
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#3
Darkneo20 posted...
maybe a few wii games like mario galaxy 1 and 2 and xenoblade chronicles IF there is an option to play them w/o motion controls

You need to use motion controls for SMG1+2, but they are actually working absolutely fine.
And in fact there are tons of Wii (and also Wii U) games w/ motion controls that control really well.
For example House of the Dead: Overkill.

There are some that don't work properly and were in fact tacked on. For example Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii). In that case I recommend the 3DS version of the game, which doesn't have motion controls. It's also possible to use a user made patch for the Wii version, but details about that would get my post moderated.

i missed out on the wii and wii u cause i had a 360 and ps3 at the time

My condolences.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Nova_Castings

Nova_Castings
1 month ago#4
Opinions may vary on whether or not it's an RPG, but I always recommend Deus Ex Human Revolution to fans of the genre on Wii U. Despite it looking like another FPS, it's got quite a few RPG elements going for it, and it makes excellent use of the gamepad.

darthcorpse posted...
You also have Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which is Shin Megami Tensei meets Fire Emblem. I don't have it yet, but it's supposedly very cool.

If you can get past the presentation, it's a solid and very fun RPG. The Session chains in battle get obnoxious, though.

darthcorpse posted...
There may be more, but there's also the Virtual Console, which has things like Earthbound and Ogre Battle 64. Pretty sure I saw Super Mario RPG there as well, and it may have some other SNES and NES ones.

Adding to this, it's worth mentioning Earthbound Beginnings is on the Wii U Virtual Console; it's the NES prequel to Earthbound.
~Nova Castings
Now: Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (PS4), Octopath Traveler (NS)

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
1 month ago#5
deus ex is an rpg. period.
VG collector, professional 3d erotica creator, phd in zombie folklore, a girl.
a dead smurf has more sense of humor than a gamefaqs mod and admin.

Darkneo20
1 month ago#6
im not really into retro rpgs or deus ex or earthbound so it sounds like all the wii/wii u has for me is mario zelda and xenoblade

unless it has some tales or star ocean games i cant get on ps3 ?

definately not into shin migamei but i will try fire emblem
Core i5 6600k 16gigs Gskill Ripjaws 3000 ASUS GTX 1060 Turbo 6gig Asrock Fatality Z170 MB 240gig sandisc SSD WD Blue 2TB HDD XFX Modular 750watt

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#7
Darkneo20 posted...
im not really into retro rpgs or deus ex or earthbound so it sounds like all the wii/wii u has for me is mario zelda and xenoblade

What is a "retro RPG"?
Do you mean Virtual Console ones?

Oh and saying "it has only Xenoblade" is like saying oh it just has the best 2 RPGs of last generation and the one before that. Xenoblade and Xenoblade X are completely different games. And Xeno X is *HUGE*. Xeno on Wii was already incredible.

Wii:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/wii/category/48-role-playing

Last Story is absolutely great, by the original creator of Final Fantasy
Pandora's Tower is also nice

Then there is: Rune Factory Frontier, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Earth Seeker

I removed the ones that are horrible and/or on PS3.

Wii U has these:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/wii-u/category/48-role-playing

The Wii U has quite a few, especially Dragon Quest, but most are Japanese only thanks to Wii U selling horribly.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

Darkneo20
1 month ago#8
thanks i had forgot about the last story

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
1 month ago#9
A couple games that haven't been mentioned yet are:

-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
-Paper Mario Color Splash
-Mass Effect 3

Both are more action focused and only have light RPG elements. Paper Mario is exclusive, while the Wii U version of Monster Hunter 3 is the definitive version of the game (though it has been surpassed by its many sequels).

There's not much of a reason to play the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 to be honest. It can't link up with ME1 or 2, which is a huge downside.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg
(edited 1 month ago)

Darkneo20
1 month ago#10
TheRushDawg posted...
A couple games that haven't been mentioned yet are:

-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
-Paper Mario Color Splash
-Mass Effect 3

Both are more action focused and only have light RPG elements. Paper Mario is exclusive, while the Wii U version of Monster Hunter 3 is the definitive version of the game (though it has been surpassed by its many sequels).

There's not much of a reason to play the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 to be honest. It can't link up with ME1 or 2, which is a huge downside.

i already play dauntless so no need for monster hunter and the other 2 games are no go for me
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. rpgs for wii u ??