You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. wiiU was under-rated

User Info: Nintenking

Nintenking
1 month ago#31
In defence of the ergonomics of the Switch in handheld mode, it was designed to be smaller and more lightweight and easier to take around with you, since the Switch is a true handheld as opposed to the Wii U gamepad which is wirelessly tethered to a home console.
Nintenking sits down and starts singing about Karma.

User Info: GC_Destiny

GC_Destiny
1 month ago#32
EvilResident posted...
GC_Destiny posted...

I don't have the Switch yet (mainly because I already amassed Wii and Wii U controllers, and it's blasphemy they're not compatible with Switch) so I can't compare the two. But I agree the Wii U was underrated for multiplayer and the compatibility with old games and controllers.

Well that’s a new one, lol
Not really a reason to *not* own a Switch tho

Haha, good point! I will admit every time I walk by a stack of Switches, I am tempted to snag it and a copy of the new Smash. And Panzer Dragoon Orta
and that Platinum game will probably drive me over the edge...

Nintenking posted...
Where else can I play Super Mario Bros. 3, Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Pokémon Ranger, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 8-Bit, M.U.S.H.A, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Mega Man 10 on the same console?

Yes! Sometimes I spend several minutes debating what classic I want to play, tapping on all those home screen titles on my home screen. And I love the one-off VC games like Kuru Kuru Kururin that I had never heard of back on the original console.
SMM Level: C5C2-0000-0080-7CDD (One cautious hop at a time);

User Info: o_rei

o_rei
1 month ago#33
dont forget they released earthbound 0/earthbound beginnings which was a very progressive move. Rumors were they had the english version of mother 3 ready but the SJW climate of 2015 onward changed nintendo's willingness to release a game that may not sit well in current climate. If Iwata didnt die I believe wed have it in the West. He was best friends with Itoi-san
Gamefaqs 2019: Where I get modded for linking to a think tank article

User Info: Otterz4Life

Otterz4Life
4 weeks ago#34
The Wii U is a great system, especially now that the entire library is out. It’s a wonderful distillation of Nintendo up to the Switch.

Being able to play Wii games is terrific feature, especially for someone like me that never had a Wii.

The VC is fantastic. GBA Castlevania games? Hell yeah! All the great Metroid games (other than Return)? Yes, please!

It is a great system. Over-hated for sure, but the droughts were tough. I need another system to go with it.

User Info: Nodrog77

Nodrog77
4 weeks ago#35
I use my Wii U every time I go on GameFAQs, play Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario Color Splash or Metroid Zero Mission. There are other uses for it-it's just been a little while..
Now playing: Paper Mario Sticker Star, Super Paper Mario, NBA Playgrounds 2, Kirby SA..Future Switch games I'm looking forward to: Bayonetta 3, ACNH

User Info: Nodrog77

Nodrog77
3 weeks ago#36
Anytime your 1st four games for a system are Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World & Captain Toad Treasure Tracker like mine were-you've got a winner..definitely an underrated system..
Now playing: Paper Mario Sticker Star, Super Paper Mario, NBA Playgrounds 2, Kirby SA..Future Switch games I'm looking forward to: Bayonetta 3, ACNH
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Zacek

Zacek
3 weeks ago#37
GC_Destiny posted...
The system shone with multiplayer for me, no doubt. Many late nights with Smash 8-player and Runbow 9-player. Throw in Mario Kart 8 and the quirky asymmetric games like Zombi U and Nintendo Land, and it was always and still is the system that we'd bring out for parties.

I don't have the Switch yet (mainly because I already amassed Wii and Wii U controllers, and it's blasphemy they're not compatible with Switch) so I can't compare the two. But I agree the Wii U was underrated for multiplayer and the compatibility with old games and controllers.

This. Runbow and Mario Kart are better on Wii U.
Final Fantasy was in 2D? I thought the number 7 was just a metaphor for something .... - Cbaker216

User Info: o_rei

o_rei
3 weeks ago#38
how is mario kart better on wiiU since the deluxe version on switch has battle mode?

Nintendoland was a gem and I wish they executed more on this asymmetry gameplay they talked about so much at launch
Gamefaqs 2019: Where I get modded for linking to a think tank article
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
3 weeks ago#39
o_rei posted...
how is mario kart better on wiiU since the deluxe version on switch has battle mode?

At the very least there is free online.
Plus Wii U had private voice chat.
Also: they removed Fire Hopping.

It's a real shame that Sega didn't port their Alien game over to Wii U. It would have worked perfectly (also see ZombiU).
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
3 weeks ago#40
o_rei posted...
If Iwata didnt die I believe wed have it in the West. He was best friends with Itoi-san

I'm also certain the Iwata wouldn't have f*** over Wii U fans (probably Nintendo's biggest supporters) by doing all the crap that Nintendo did after his death. He must be rolling in his grave :/

Like:
Downgrading Breath of the Wild
Not releasing at the very least paid battle mode DLC for MK8
Not offering digital upgrade paths in regard to NX
The NX itself
Scrapping Miiverse
Plus all the crap they pulled with Amiibos.

Everything Nintendo did after the death was literally giving the finger to Wii U owners.

Originally Amiibos were a great idea. For example being able to unlock special things in Star Fox by using Amiibo *or* unlocking the same things by getting S ranks.

I really doubt anything like the 3DS Metroid Amiibo crap would have ever happened (4 Amiibos required to get basic bonus features that you got by playing well in literally all previous Metroid games, including even locking a damn difficulty option behind one)

Iwata was really a gamer himself. The current execs at Nintendo definitely aren't.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. wiiU was under-rated