You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The Wii has officially outlasted the Wii U

User Info: Kyle1022

Kyle1022
1 month ago#1
Just Dance 2020 will release this holiday season for the Wii, but not the Wii U. This means that ironically, the 2006 Wii has outlasted the 2012 Wii U in terms of retail support.

I'm glad, one less crappy game I have to buy to have the full Wii U set.
PC (4k/60Hz and 1080p/144Hz) | Switch | Wii U | Wii | GC | N64 | SNES | NES | PS4 Pro | PS3 | PS2 | PS1 | N3DS | DSi | GBA | GBC | Vita | PSP

User Info: Nadster

Nadster
1 month ago#2
How long are they going to keep releasing those games on the Wii anyway? If they keep doing this then
I think the Wii will have the longest lifespan despite the consoles were discontinued.
"This is a quote."
My imperfect YT channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDl3L8bU5HG5OYROnYF3Ztg/featured

User Info: dr_zomberg

dr_zomberg
1 month ago#3
the is already 13 years old and still selling games. with some luck it may surpass the ps2.
VG collector, professional 3d erotica creator, phd in zombie folklore, a girl.
a dead smurf has more sense of humor than a gamefaqs mod and admin.

User Info: Arcade2

Arcade2
1 month ago#4
Glad to hear this honestly. Having the full set I was sick of buying the Just Dance games.

User Info: CaptainWario

CaptainWario
1 month ago#5
I was afraid they would release it for the Wii U, what a relief.

User Info: ColorBattle

ColorBattle
4 weeks ago#6
CaptainWario posted...

Why would it have been a bad thing to release the game for the Wii U? I don't see the reasoning behind that.

User Info: megamachopop

megamachopop
4 weeks ago#7
ColorBattle posted...
CaptainWario posted...

Why would it have been a bad thing to release the game for the Wii U? I don't see the reasoning behind that.

It wouldn't be bad, but I don't really see why they would. The Wii was VASTLY more successful than the Wii U, and since the Wii U is fully backwards compatible anyway I'm not surprised they wouldn't release it for the Wii U. If people want it, everyone can just buy the Wii version.

User Info: Mozzezz

Mozzezz
4 weeks ago#8
The Wii was a great console, it deserved to live past its shelf life (though the Wii U was also good).
"Lower your guard and you will allow the enemy in." - Frog from Chrono Trigger (the original alt frog).
https://imgur.com/hSc6hOs

User Info: ponyseizures

ponyseizures
4 weeks ago#9
There's a fascinating reason behind this, actually. Ubisoft has playing the Samaritan as of late (non Wii U related)

https://gamerant.com/just-dance-2020-wii-e3-2019/.
4124-4997-6171

User Info: Atariboy1982

Atariboy1982
4 weeks ago#10
The reason why is that as recently as Just Dance 2018, the Wii SKU was the best selling version of this franchise for Ubisoft (I'm unaware of how Just Dance 2019 performed at retail). Could very well even seen a small uptick here compared to last year as several hundred thousand Just Dance fans on the Wii U that have yet to buy a Switch settle instead for the standard definition Wii iteration played via backwards compatibility.

So why stop as long as the retailers are willing to stock it? I don't picture this series being one that gets a huge makeover with the game engine, mechanics, etc (I've never played it). The major expense is going into the music licenses to give fans a fresh lineup each year rather than the development of the game itself. So I doubt it's a big burden to still be including a system from 2006 with horsepower more akin to the generation before that one.

I'm glad though that barring another surprise or two from Limited Run Games (They've talked about being open to doing another game), Axiom Verge is the Wii U's final physical release. That's because it's a game I actually wanted to own and play and as a big Wii U fan, it's neat to own the final title for the system and that wouldn't of happened had it been Just Dance 20XX.

I believe I'd have to go back to Majesco's Frogger from 1999 or so on the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo for the most recent time I've bought what ended up the final retail release for a system. It has usually ended up being Madden or FIFA through the years (And Tony Hawk 3 on the Nintendo 64).
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The Wii has officially outlasted the Wii U