You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it worth it to transfer my Wii virtual console games to my Wii U?

User Info: KingKilvas

KingKilvas
1 month ago#1
I have BitTripRunner on WiiWare and I have the following virtual console titles on my Wii:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Metroid
Super Smash Bros.

I have a few questions about transferring data:

1. Can I transfer data so that I have the games on both consoles? Or will transferring the data from the Wii to Wii U mean I no longer have anything on the Wii?

2. Does the Wii U have some benefits like save states for the NES games that the Wii does not have? Or are they both the same?

3. Is it still possible to do this or is Nintendo shutting down transfer capabilities? If it is still available, is there a time limit before Nintendo shuts this service down?

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it.
Drink cactus juice! It'll quench ya! Nothin's quenchier! It's the quenchiest!

User Info: JumpyStar

JumpyStar
1 month ago#2
1. Transfer is a one way ticket unfortunately
2. It will be the same since it's in Wii mode when running on the Wii U.
3. Should still be possible as for how long Nintendo keeps this up it's hard to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaeYXkQX1Xc Here's an official video from Nintendo on the process

User Info: Atariboy1982

Atariboy1982
1 month ago#3
While JumpyStar has you mostly covered, I want to add a little bit.

The primary advantages to doing a system transfer other than for convenience is to open up the discounts for the Wii U versions of many of these Virtual Console games. Each VC game that you own other than Super Smash Brothers also made it to the North American Wii U Virtual Console and would be available for a $1-$2 upgrade fee were you to do a system transfer

The Wii U Virtual Console versions offer save states versus non-reloadable suspend points, remappable controls, and the ability to use the Wii U gamepad as a controller as well as the Wii U Pro Controller (While still supporting Wii accessories).

The disadvantages here for playing the Wii Virtual Console versions in Wii U's Wii Mode are that you lose GameCube controller compatibility and 240p mode is no longer available (The latter of which is mostly only important if you were playing on a SD CRT). And some have found that Wii content actually looks better on their HDTV via their Wii than it does their Wii U, thanks to Nintendo's lackluster scaling of original Wii content on the Wii U.

System transfers are still possible and Nintendo has yet to announce a date for the final cessation of Wii Shop services.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#4
KingKilvas posted...
1. Can I transfer data so that I have the games on both consoles? Or will transferring the data from the Wii to Wii U mean I no longer have anything on the Wii?

No, you bought 1 license/copy.
BUT when you purchase an upgrade on Wii U (those are optional btw.), then you have the Wii U Virtual Console release as well as the Wii Virtual Console release (on the same console of course).

2. Does the Wii U have some benefits like save states for the NES games that the Wii does not have? Or are they both the same?

The Wii Virtual Console releases are EXACTLY THE SAME.
It's 100% perfect backward compatibility.
On Wii U you get a nice internal upscaler too, so Wii games look far better than on a regular Wii.
BUT what you don't get is 240p mode like on Wii.

When you optionally upgrade your releases, then those have multiple save states. They also had Miiverse support, but sadly Nintendo shut Miiverse down.

N64 games got some additional filter for the Wii U Virtual Console release, probably against seizures, so the colors are darker. However this is about the optional upgraded releases.

3. Is it still possible to do this or is Nintendo shutting down transfer capabilities? If it is still available, is there a time limit before Nintendo shuts this service down?

Yes, it's still possible.
Nintendo hasn't announced any plans to shut it down.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#5
Atariboy1982 posted...
And some have found that Wii content actually looks better on their HDTV via their Wii than it does their Wii U, thanks to Nintendo's lackluster scaling of original Wii content on the Wii U.

My opinion is the exact opposite.
Wii games look quite good on Wii U using HDMI out.
I was actually shocked by HOW WELL for example Epic Yarn looks on the Wii U on my display.

Wii itself sends out a 480p signal at best, and then your TV has to upscale it. The result depends on the TV upscaler and its signal processing. Tons of people say that SD signals look horrible on their TVs, which makes sense because HD TV's priority is HD content and not properly upscaling SD content.

Wii U sends out a 1080p signal all the time, so the Wii U does all the upscaling.

Of course you may also purchase a Framemeister and get superb upscaling, but you can purchase 4 or 5 Wii Us for that price.

Nintendo's lackluster scaling

No idea what this is even supposed to mean.
Nintendo's Wii U upscaling delivers a way better picture than most TVs.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: KingKilvas

KingKilvas
1 month ago#6
Thanks for such detailed, thorough responses, everyone. I think I'm going to avoid transferring, just because I don't want to lose the games on my Wii and I enjoy the Gamecube controller. Also the idea of having to pay a little more for the games I've already bought to upgrade them is....a bit annoying.
Drink cactus juice! It'll quench ya! Nothin's quenchier! It's the quenchiest!

User Info: DeathSoul2000

DeathSoul2000
1 month ago#7
KingKilvas posted...
Thanks for such detailed, thorough responses, everyone. I think I'm going to avoid transferring, just because I don't want to lose the games on my Wii and I enjoy the Gamecube controller. Also the idea of having to pay a little more for the games I've already bought to upgrade them is....a bit annoying.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh...... the upgrade is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. You can either buy the upgrade - or not. Entirely your choice. The Wii VC games you've bought will still be there on your Wii U Wii menu, exactly the same as they are on your current Wii. You do not have to pay anything once they are on the Wii U to get them to work.

Atariboy1982
1 month ago#8
It's all tv specific, jimi_dini. Many HDTV's do a good job of handling 480p content these days compared to 10 years ago, so some users find that Wii content looks better when avoiding the Wii U handling the conversion to 1080p.

That said, I have no problems with how Wii content looks on my own Wii U, although I wish I could hook up my original Wii to this television just to reduce the wear & tear on my Wii U. But like many recent displays, it lacks component video ports. So the old Wii stays connected to my Trinitron instead.

Also, Wii U Virtual Console downloads don't have multiple save states. Just a single slot per game to use how you like.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Tenchi UK

Tenchi UK
1 month ago#9
nintendo 64 and nes games have this muddy filter which makes the games look quite a bit worse imo.

however the games have remappable controls which is nice, optional save states and the ability to play on the gamepad which is my preffered method.

id say outside of the mentioned n64 issue the only real downside is that theres quite a few games which werent available to upgrade, though out of the ones you have listed i think that smash bros is the only one not available so you should be fine.
Pear into Peaches!

Atariboy1982
1 month ago#10
NES games look bad on the Wii Virtual Console, too.

And Nintendo 64 games sadly do have their brightness toned down on the Wii U, which allegedly was done for epileptic concerns. But otherwise they look just as good as the Wii versions do and have several additional perks.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it worth it to transfer my Wii virtual console games to my Wii U?