• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Konami can kiss my ass. f*** Konami !!! Wii U eshop related (Necromancer)

User Info: The_REAL_Duke_O

The_REAL_Duke_O
4 months ago#11
Lum_Yatsura posted...

Besides this is nothing new. A number of Wii VC games, and PSN PS1 games, were untranslated or only partial translations (Sin & Punishment translated the menus, but left the subtitles Japanese).

Sin & Punishment is a rail shoot 'em up. Necromancer is a text heavy, story driven, turn based RPG where nearly every action is menus that you must read. One of these genres can be played with no knowledge of Japanese while the other makes it mandatory that you must read Japanese or else you aren't going to know what the hell to do.

Lum_Yatsura posted...

Games like Heroine Dream don't clearly indicate they're in Japanese.

That might explain why that game only has a 2 out of 5 star rating on PSN (which is an extremely low score on PSN since even some of the worse games on PSN get at least a 3 out of 5).

jimi_dini posted...

"Oh no, those bad companies with their Japanese text, I will not be able to play these games."

Yeah, you can't. Seriously, try playing an old school 8 or 16 bit story driven, turn based RPG in Japanese. You can't really play it and if you try it's going to be a horrible experience as you are guessing through dialogue and tons of menus you can't read and won't know what's going on.
I want my Earthbound!!!
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
4 months ago#12
Yeah, you can't. Seriously, try playing an old school 8 or 16 bit story driven, turn based RPG in Japanese. You can't really play it and if you try it's going to be a horrible experience as you are guessing through dialogue and tons of menus you can't read and won't know what's going on.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/tg16/589044-jaseiken-necromancer/faqs/76892/logo

There is a guide with translations. Took me all of 12 seconds on google for it to pop up, and it’s actually here on this site. If I could play Grandia on Saturn this way you guys can play this one.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t

User Info: zzeennoolloo

zzeennoolloo
4 months ago#13
n00bsaib0t posted...

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/tg16/589044-jaseiken-necromancer/faqs/76892/logo

There is a guide with translations. Took me all of 12 seconds on google for it to pop up, and it’s actually here on this site. If I could play Grandia on Saturn this way you guys can play this one.

I've looked through that FAQ and unfortunately it does NOT translate what all the characters are saying in the game as well as several other aspects if the story except for very bare basics (resulting in a huge amount of the story being unknown to gamers who can't read Japanese). Yes, it translates stuff like item names and it gives you a general overview of where to go, but a huge mega chunk of the game's story is missing and it doesn't go over the dialogue each character speaks. While I do appreciate the effort someone put into the FAQ, the truth of the matter is that it's just not a whole lot of fun having to look at an item name written in Japanese in the game and then have to scroll through a very large guide trying to match up Japanese symbols with an English word.

Also, an English version of Grandia is available on the Playstaion 1. While the Japanese Saturn version is cheaper, the reason it's only about $10 (while the English version goes for about $50) is because most English speaking gamers (United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, etc) would just rather play an RPG (a genre that strongly relies on reading) in English. This is also coming from someone who owns a Sega Saturn and has some Japanese imports for my Saturn. I don't mind playing a Japanese released fighting game like Golden Axe The Duel on my Saturn, but no way would I play something like an RPG in Japanese, especially one that is available in English on another console (like the Playstation, Playstation 2 due to backwards compatibility, Playstation 3 which is backwards compatible with PS 1 games, etc).
Creator of the most talked about 500 post topic on the Wii U board, the most populated board on Gamefaqs. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/72708411

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
4 months ago#14
I didn't realize the guide didn't have the story, I didn't read the whole thing. And I know about the PS1 version of Grandia, I eventually bought it on PSN. I was just saying, some times you gotta do what you gotta do to play. Although, there is the option of english translation patches. You do own the game legally.
3DS: 4871-6557-4900 | Switch: SW-7875-2425-7203
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nifterific | XBL / PSN: Nifterific | NNID: n00bsaib0t

zzeennoolloo
4 months ago#15
yahya_no_1 posted...

I mean I am happy dump as Konami is, to keep releasing games for the WiiU, but on the same time.......what are they doing......oO? at least offer fans to sub it, or pay the fan subs for the existing translated of it's ROM

The sad part is that I just found out that there is a semi-translated version of the game some fans have been working on. It's only about 90% complete (the only reason it's not at 100% is because there is a problem they ran into that they can't figure out and need help with. They announced they needed help about a few months after the Wii U release, but they had been working on it before that), but I would gladly take something that is 90% in English than 0% any day. Konami has tons of money and could have easily payed those fans for what they had at the time and gotten the game released in at least 90% English (granted, they could have gotten someone who could have solved the problem for them so the game could be 100% in English), but Konami choose to be lazy bastards and just toss the game out on the U.S eshop untranslated in the shadiest way possible.
Creator of the most talked about 500 post topic on the Wii U board, the most populated board on Gamefaqs. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/72708411
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: Gamonomania

Gamonomania
4 months ago#16
Yeah I did check a video of the game on youtube to get a feel of the game, and to gauge the amount of text there is in it. I do like the HR Giger vibe but I don't think I would enjoy playig the game glued to my japanese dictionary to get a faint idea of the plot. I remember most of the hiragana and katakana from my japanese lessons I took, so the idea sort of appeals to me still.
I enjoyed my life when I had nothing... and kinda like the idea of just being happy with me.
Joey Ramone

User Info: Solar_Crimson

Solar_Crimson
4 months ago#17
That's odd, because the Wii Shop Channel specified on the game page itself if it was a Japanese edition of the game, perhaps as a warning to potential buyers.
Be wary of boarding the hype train, lest you end up on the ruse cruise... - nanobuilder (r/nintendo)
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: SavageGlum100

SavageGlum100
4 months ago#18
Solar_Crimson posted...
That's odd, because the Wii Shop Channel specified on the game page itself if it was a Japanese edition of the game, perhaps as a warning to potential buyers.

1) It's the eshop for the Wii U. The Wii shop channel was for the original Wii (which is a different system from the Wii U).

2) It's extremely small fine print (very small, tiny fine print) which anyone could easily miss since it looks like Konami went out of their way to make sure it was easy to miss, is where they specified that you need to know Japanese.

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
4 months ago#19
SavageGlum100 posted...
Solar_Crimson posted...

1) It's the eshop for the Wii U. The Wii shop channel was for the original Wii (which is a different system from the Wii U).

2) It's extremely small fine print (very small, tiny fine print) which anyone could easily miss since it looks like Konami went out of their way to make sure it was easy to miss, is where they specified that you need to know Japanese.

At least there is fine print. The game I linked to, very absolutely does not say so.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1124-lums-ufo-comedy-anime-and-manga
(edited 4 months ago)

zzeennoolloo
4 months ago#20
Solar_Crimson posted...

@Solar_Crimson
@Lum_Yatsura

In the pic below (and this is a pic I took using my phone from the eshop itself) in the main part of the game's page, it says that the language is in ENGLISH (see pic below). Yes, there is a warning stating that the game is actually in Japanese, but it's in the fine print section with all the other stuff which rarely almost no one reads, all the way on the bottom of the page which you have to scroll down to. Should I have read that? I guess I should have, but the main part of the game's page said the game was in ENGLISH (see pic below). On top of this, they are using the Turbografx-16 logo. Turbografx-16 was the name of the console in English speaking countries like the United States, the United Kingdom, etc. The PC Engine (which is what this game was for, it NEVER came out on the Turbografx-16) was the Japanese counterpart of that system and all the games released on the PC Engine were in Japanese since the PC Engine was released in Japan.

The fact that they are stating that the language of the game is in ENGLISH (see pic below), and they are misusing the Turbografx-16 logo (which is a logo meant for NON-Japanese games), is bulls***. Yes, perhaps I should have read everything else that was present on the page by scrolling all the way down as well as anything else during the check out process, but this is what I paid attention to (which is what 95% of everyone pays attention to when buying from a MAINSTREAM digital store like PSN, the eshop, Xbox Live marketplace, etc). Never would I have thought that Konami would release an RPG (a genre which strongly depends on reading in order for the game to be playable) in Japanese on the North American eshop for the Wii U).

https://i.imgtc.com/Wm1X764.jpg
(edited 4 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Konami can kiss my ass. f*** Konami !!! Wii U eshop related (Necromancer)
  • Post New Message