You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. external hard drive issue

User Info: WiiareVenom

WiiareVenom
4 weeks ago#1
When it is in the formatting state of setting up an external hard drive, should it be staying on the "checking usb storage" phase for a really long time? And should the hard drive be beeping?
I was summoned to the future by the last of mankind, to defend them in their hour of need. But my old enemy, Skeletor, followed me.... 3DS FC: 5155-3151-4613

User Info: Lightwarrior11

Lightwarrior11
4 weeks ago#2
No. Find the manual for your HDD and find out what the error codes are - that's what I assume the beeping is. Hopefully it's just an insufficient power supply or something like that. Did you use a Y-cable to plug into both the Wii U's USB ports?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd0T6SjHejw
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: WiiareVenom

WiiareVenom
4 weeks ago#3
Nope, no y cable. Getting one today. Hopefully that is the issue. A youtube video mentioned if it does that, try formatting it on a pc first, but when I plug it into a computer, it makes a normal running noise, but I can't find it on the computer.

Put iy on a playstation, and I was able to find it and delete the old contents. Hopefully it is just insufficient power.
I was summoned to the future by the last of mankind, to defend them in their hour of need. But my old enemy, Skeletor, followed me.... 3DS FC: 5155-3151-4613
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. external hard drive issue