You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can I buy games from the Japanese eshop?

User Info: coldisgood

coldisgood
1 month ago#1
Do I need a Japanese Wii U or is there a way to get Japanese eshop games on an American Wii U?

Also, is there a way to load funds on a Japanese Wii U if I got that? Do they accept American Credit cards or is there a prepaid option etc?

Thanks! Can’t seem to find concrete answers with my research
<code> M'Aiq knows that there are no babies, instead, the mother must deliver a five foot Imperial. -Sinroth </code>

User Info: ColorBattle

ColorBattle
1 month ago#2
You of course need a Japanese Wii U to access the Japanese eshop. The system is region locked so you aren't going to be able to do any sort of crossing between stores online.

Now, I do not know if you can use an American Credit Card on the Japanese eshop...only because I haven't bought anything from the Japanese shop myself (all my Japanese games are physical). I assume that you would be able to add funds, but only if you have that card information on the Japanese system and not any other Wii U. Best if you look it up yourself for a 100% answer.

User Info: mcnichoj

mcnichoj
1 month ago#3
Why would you even want to? Basically only two Japanese exclusives exist. One of them is the Taito drum game.
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj | Switch FC: Ask
"Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy."

User Info: coldisgood

coldisgood
1 month ago#4
mcnichoj posted...
Why would you even want to? Basically only two Japanese exclusives exist. One of them is the Taito drum game.

Wanted f zero climax but it’s just not worth the hassle. Rather just try to find the actual gba cart or rom it if I have to
<code> M'Aiq knows that there are no babies, instead, the mother must deliver a five foot Imperial. -Sinroth </code>

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#5
coldisgood posted...
Do I need a Japanese Wii U or is there a way to get Japanese eshop games on an American Wii U?

In theory some "modifcations" may make it possible, but then you risk of getting your console banned.

Just get a Japanese Wii U.
They are in fact available for pretty cheap.

Also, is there a way to load funds on a Japanese Wii U if I got that?

Yes, Nintendo on Wii U didn't go crazy like Sony with their region locked PS3, and actually accepts all sorts of credit cards. Works perfectly.

mcnichoj posted...

And then there is censorship (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fatal Frame 5).
And then there are (were) the Wii store exclusives, and there were tons of those. One of the reasons for me to get a Japanese Wii U.
And then there are physical Wii exclusives too.
And then there are some Wii U store exclusives too. Some are US+JP. Some are JP only. Some are EU+JP.

Also never forget - the Wii U gamepad is actually region free. Only firmware updates are region locked, and we won't getting those anymore.
Which means you can use your imported Japanese gamepad as a backup gamepad for both of your Wii Us.

Also wait, only 2?
There is Dragon Quest X (paid subscription required).
Yakuza 1+2 HD (龍が如く1&2 HD)
One Monster Hunter is available in Japan only (paid subscription required)
Drum game too
Yo-kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version too (妖怪ウォッチダンス)
Then there is Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 (三國志12)
There is also Fujiko F. Fujio Characters: Daishuugou! SF Dotabata Party! (藤子・F・不二雄キャラクターズ大集合! SFドタバタパーティ!)
And Puyo Puyo Tetris (ぷよぷよテトリス).

And that's physical discs only. Plus I'm sure I forgot some.
There are a lot Japan exclusive eShop games too.

NES Remix was never released on physical disc in Europe, only digitally.
Also the Japanese one is Famicom Remix, and it's not exactly the same game.

Also do not forget that quite a few games are dirt cheap in Japan, while have gone to crazy prices in EU+US - if they are even available at all.
All of the DLC of for example Sonic Lost World is 100% free in Japan eShop, while not free anywhere else.

And on top - Japanese Nintendo store gives away physical items every few months.
I got posters and other stuff from there. And you need a Wii U to make an account (or multiple) to be able to earn Platinum coins (+ gold coins).

In summary:
Your post is REALLY inaccurate.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#6
Oh right, I also forgot to mention that certain games were removed from Europe and/or US store, but are still available in Japan. Another plus.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can I buy games from the Japanese eshop?