• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Final thoughts on Metroid Prime from a brand new player!

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
5 months ago#41
lionheart3657 posted...
To be fair, it’s way easier playing MH games without voice chat since you’re just killing monsters. In Triforce Heroes, you’ve got to coordinate way more to solve puzzles and beat bosses. It’s a simple game but coordination in key. Without coordination, the game is humorous. But humorous becomes frustration when all people do is throw you off ledges on purpose or block you from proceeding by not stepping on the goal at the end of a stage.

Makes sense. MH does require some coordination, but I can understand that puzzle solving like that (which I assume is like 4 Swords Adventures) could take a lot of coordination!

User Info: Timinatron

Timinatron
5 months ago#42
So I’m thinking once I finish Alien: Isolation I’ll be starting Prime 2. Can’t wait!
Now Playing: Alien: Isolation, Super Mario 3D World
Upcoming: Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, Yoshi's Crafted World, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled

User Info: lionheart3657

lionheart3657
5 months ago#43
Yes! Good luck with Echoes. It's way harder than Prime 1, but it's satisfying when you solve its puzzles. It's like a darker version of a Zelda game. I know it's almost heresy to say for Metroid fans, but if you get stuck, don't be afraid to look at a guide to keep moving forward. So many people give up with Echoes 2 and move onto Corruption.

Timinatron
5 months ago#44
lionheart3657 posted...
Yes! Good luck with Echoes. It's way harder than Prime 1, but it's satisfying when you solve its puzzles. It's like a darker version of a Zelda game. I know it's almost heresy to say for Metroid fans, but if you get stuck, don't be afraid to look at a guide to keep moving forward. So many people give up with Echoes 2 and move onto Corruption.

I’ll give it my best shot and I definitely don’t want to skip it, but we’ll see if that changes if and when I get really frustrated with it haha
Now Playing: Alien: Isolation, Super Mario 3D World
Upcoming: Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn, Yoshi's Crafted World, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled

User Info: yosheta

yosheta
5 months ago#45
I think Echoes is my favorite one to be honest. It's got that perfect "alien" vibe I find really appealing. Also, even if the mechanic of light/dark has been done for the billionth time, I thought it was cool seeing the same area, but in a MUCH darker view. Actually felt foreboding (as is evident with all of the Dark Aether's OST, lol).

Which version you playing though? If it's the trilogy version, then Echoes actually ain't THAT bad in difficulty. Playing Normal even more so since that just makes the game a bit too easy imo. The original Gamecube version though... holy moly, I think Retro went a bit too overboard in assuming everyone just immediately went from Prime 1 to Prime 2 without considering new players.
Dohoho
(edited 5 months ago)

Timinatron
5 months ago#46
yosheta posted...
I think Echoes is my favorite one to be honest. It's got that perfect "alien" vibe I find really appealing. Also, even if the mechanic of light/dark has been done for the billionth time, I thought it was cool seeing the same area, but in a MUCH darker view. Actually felt foreboding (as is evident with all of the Dark Aether's OST, lol).

Which version you playing though? If it's the trilogy version, then Echoes actually ain't THAT bad in difficulty. Playing Normal even more so since that just makes the game a bit too easy imo. The original Gamecube version though... holy moly, I think Retro went a bit too overboard in assuming everyone just immediately went from Prime 1 to Prime 2 without considering new players.

I will be playing the trilogy version. And yeah I did hear the difficulty was dialed way back. Basically veteran mode on the wii was like normal mode on the gamecube or something.
Now Playing: Alien: Isolation, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
Upcoming: Yoshi's Crafted World, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, Super Mario Maker 2

User Info: lionheart3657

lionheart3657
5 months ago#47
Very true about the difficulty differences between the Gamecube and Wii version. However, I think even if you played the GameCube version you would've done all right. If you can get through the Trial of the Swords DLC in Breath of the Wild, you can get through the difficult battles/areas in Echoes. I have faith.

With that said, I think Yosheta is right about how Echoes 2's atmosphere feels a bit more like Aliens in that more oppressive and foreboding way... it's cool. I love Echoes but I remember a time when saying that meant Metroid fans dislike you because nothing could ever top Prime 1. I think they're all great games and Prime 1 may still be my favorite, but for a long time, I considered Echoes better. It just depends on my mood.

Good luck beating Aliens and then moving onto Echoes! Heck, I'm thinking revisiting them sometime... I thought about starting Other M and then moving onto Prime after your thread started.

Timinatron
5 months ago#48
lionheart3657 posted...
Very true about the difficulty differences between the Gamecube and Wii version. However, I think even if you played the GameCube version you would've done all right. If you can get through the Trial of the Swords DLC in Breath of the Wild, you can get through the difficult battles/areas in Echoes. I have faith.

With that said, I think Yosheta is right about how Echoes 2's atmosphere feels a bit more like Aliens in that more oppressive and foreboding way... it's cool. I love Echoes but I remember a time when saying that meant Metroid fans dislike you because nothing could ever top Prime 1. I think they're all great games and Prime 1 may still be my favorite, but for a long time, I considered Echoes better. It just depends on my mood.

Good luck beating Aliens and then moving onto Echoes! Heck, I'm thinking revisiting them sometime... I thought about starting Other M and then moving onto Prime after your thread started.

Thanks! I’ll be done with Alien very soon and then it’ll be on to Echoes. Looking forward to it. I would’ve played it right after Prime 1 but I typically like to break up a series of games with other games in my backlog.
Now Playing: Alien: Isolation, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
Upcoming: Yoshi's Crafted World, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, Super Mario Maker 2

User Info: yodalovesu

yodalovesu
5 months ago#49
Echoes is by far the best Metroid Prime game.... For the first half only.

The atmosphere is kicked up a notch from Prime 1 and the design of the opening environments made for some of the most creative and truly original locales to be found in gaming. It definitely makes you feel like you are on a foreign alien world. The added gameplay complexity is tons of fun as well, and the story finds that perfect balance between being cinematic without becoming overly intrusive (see: Other M). Unfortunately, the backtracking gets pretty out of control in the second half of the game, turning the wonderful exploration and discovery of the first half into a long series of distant waypoint relays, with unskippable enemies placed liberally between destinations.

Still an incredible game, however, and hope you enjoy it and are able to stick through those duller bits to experience the whole thing!

Timinatron
5 months ago#50
Well, after taking a couple of days off from gaming in general, I’m back at it with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes! So far it has everything I loved about the first. I’m scanning the s*** out of everything in every room and am getting completely engrossed in the world. I had to pull myself away from the game just now, lest I play all afternoon haha.

I’ve gotten the missiles so far, and one missile expansion and one energy tank. I’ve met the Luminoth creature (forget his exact name) and heard their story about the Ing. Also I defeated the Dark Alpha Splinter. The story is already noticeably darker, what with the Federation troops being slaughtered and reanimated.

I just got to the Agon Wastes and left it there. Will pick it up tomorrow.
Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Final thoughts on Metroid Prime from a brand new player!
  • Topic Closed