• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Final thoughts on Metroid Prime from a brand new player!

User Info: Timinatron

Timinatron
3 months ago#101
darthcorpse posted...
Sorry guys, I posted late and didn't notice that it was @TC2Kevin and not @Timinatron that I was replying to before!

I played some hunters, and I don't think it's much like that, I'm afraid. You have a few planets and a main Hunter to take down, if I recall correctly, but items are found in the usual way, and paths opened as well. At least if there's much contact with someone hiring you, I don't remember it...

Stu a fun game, just a bit hand-crampy lol.

I’m wondering how it’ll work on the Wii U gamepad..if it’ll be less cramped than on the original DS. I hope so. I’ve heard that before about Hunters..

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
3 months ago#102
Timinatron posted...
darthcorpse posted...
Sorry guys, I posted late and didn't notice that it was @TC2Kevin and not @Timinatron that I was replying to before!

I played some hunters, and I don't think it's much like that, I'm afraid. You have a few planets and a main Hunter to take down, if I recall correctly, but items are found in the usual way, and paths opened as well. At least if there's much contact with someone hiring you, I don't remember it...

I’m wondering how it’ll work on the Wii U gamepad..if it’ll be less cramped than on the original DS. I hope so. I’ve heard that before about Hunters..

Oh it's on the Wii U? Does it still use the stylus for aiming? It may actually be more comfortable. Mine is the original version, and actually it could be that playing it on the 3DS is more comfortable than my old model DS...will have to try and see. Although I am a bit screwed as I lost the stylus...will have to make do with the Wii U one.

Timinatron
3 months ago#103
darthcorpse posted...
Timinatron posted...
darthcorpse posted...

Oh it's on the Wii U? Does it still use the stylus for aiming? It may actually be more comfortable. Mine is the original version, and actually it could be that playing it on the 3DS is more comfortable than my old model DS...will have to try and see. Although I am a bit screwed as I lost the stylus...will have to make do with the Wii U one.

Yeah I bought it on the Wii U eshop. I’m assuming the best setup would be using the tv for the top screen, and using the gamepad for the bottom screen, though there are several screen options. I’ll have to mess around with it and see what works best.

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
3 months ago#104
Timinatron posted...
darthcorpse posted...
Timinatron posted...
darthcorpse posted...

Yeah I bought it on the Wii U eshop. I’m assuming the best setup would be using the tv for the top screen, and using the gamepad for the bottom screen, though there are several screen options. I’ll have to mess around with it and see what works best.

Yeah that seems logical! Hope you enjoy it! I do mean to return to it at some point, but the non portable consoles are priority for now.

Timinatron
3 months ago#105
Starting playing Metroid Prime Hunters today. So far I’ve found the first Octolith, one energy tank and two missile expansions. I’m on Alinos now, to begin the search for more Octoliths.

The controls are...iffy at best. I’ve never been a big fan of stylus controls, and there doesn’t seem to be a more intuitive set up. I’m playing strictly on the Wii U gamepad, as I found that displaying the top screen on my TV stretched the image far too much and it just looked awful. The best set up on the Wii U gamepad seems to be side by side screens, with an emphasis on the top screen. I’m still experimenting with different screen and control options to see what works best, but it seems to be working ok so far. Still prefer the Prime Trilogy’s Wiimote pointer controls of course, but Hunters isn’t bad so far.
Now Playing: Metroid Prime Hunters

Timinatron
3 months ago#106
So I just got done with another play session of MPH. Got another energy tank and missile expansion, and got my second Octolith, defeating Spire and Weavel in the process.

I liked the second area (Alinos) more than the first. The music reminded me of the Chozo Ruins from the first Metroid Prime, in fact it had the same beat. Nice little callback.

I’m getting more used to the controls, though platforming sections are a bit finicky, requiring a double tap of the stylus. I’m now at the third area, Vesper Defense Outpost. The search for more Octoliths continues!

User Info: HopefulToad

HopefulToad
3 months ago#107
Timinatron posted...

I'm currently playing through Hunters, and I can confirm that that's far and away the best screen option, for me, at least. If I absolutely must use only the gamepad, my preferred option is the one where you hold the gamepad sideways and the screens are displayed vertically stacked. Yes, it's awkward pressing the fire button with my little finger and using my thumb to move, but it's better than trying to work with a tiny screen for aiming or viewing the game world.

I'm enjoying the Hunters campaign more than I thought I would. It is far more formulaic than the big three Prime games, but it's still enjoyable, well-designed, and very visually impressive for a DS game.

I have the Trilogy as well, and I've completed Prime 1 on Veteran difficulty. I played Prime 1 and 2 when I was a teenager, so when I found out that the "Normal" difficulty of the Trilogy version is actually easier than the standard difficulty of the GameCube version, I decided to restart on veteran mode even though I was already 10 hours into the game because it would have bugged me too much to continue at normal difficulty. I had noticed that the game was strangely easier than I remembered it...

The Wii U is such a great console for Metroid fans. Every Metroid game but Return of Samus/Samus Returns, Pinball, and Federation Force is available on it. I highly, highly recommend Metroid: Zero Mission, which IMO is the best 2D Metroid game, and even the best Metroid game period, followed closely by Prime.

Federation Force is also highly underrated. I've put more than a hundred hours into that game thanks to online play and wanting to get all of the medals, or whatever they're called. To anyone who plays it with a New 2DS/3DS, the best control scheme is the one using the C stick AND gyro aim when locked on. See this topic:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/168673-metroid-prime-federation-force/74187686
(edited 3 months ago)

Timinatron
3 months ago#108
HopefulToad posted...
Timinatron posted...

I'm currently playing through Hunters, and I can confirm that that's far and away the best screen option, for me, at least. If I absolutely must use only the gamepad, my preferred option is the one where you hold the gamepad sideways and the screens are displayed vertically stacked. Yes, it's awkward pressing the fire button with my little finger and using my thumb to move, but it's better than trying to work with a tiny screen for aiming or viewing the game world.

I'm enjoying the Hunters campaign more than I thought I would. It is far more formulaic than the big three Prime games, but it's still enjoyable, well-designed, and very visually impressive for a DS game.

I have the Trilogy as well, and I've completed Prime 1 on Veteran difficulty. I played Prime 1 and 2 when I was a teenager, so when I found out that the "Normal" difficulty of the Trilogy version is actually easier than the standard difficulty of the GameCube version, I decided to restart on veteran mode even though I was already 10 hours into the game because it would have bugged me too much to continue at normal difficulty. I had noticed that the game was strangely easier than I remembered it...

The Wii U is such a great console for Metroid fans. Every Metroid game but Return of Samus/Samus Returns, Pinball, and Federation Force is available on it. I highly, highly recommend Metroid: Zero Mission, which IMO is the best 2D Metroid game, and even the best Metroid game period, followed closely by Prime.

Federation Force is also highly underrated. I've put more than a hundred hours into that game thanks to online play and wanting to get all of the medals, or whatever they're called. To anyone who plays it with a New 2DS/3DS, the best control scheme is the one using the C stick AND gyro aim when locked on. See this topic:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/168673-metroid-prime-federation-force/74187686

Hey thanks for the post! I’ve actually been looking into Zero Mission to play through soon. I also do own Federation Force, and I was planning on playing it next, I’m just having some trouble finding people interested enough to play it. How’s the single player mode? Pretty playable?

The Wii U really is fantastic for its virtual console; it’s one of the reasons I still use it. I’m extremely disappointed in Nintendo for not offering something comparable for the Switch.

As far as Hunters goes, I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would as well. The controls do take some getting used to, but they’re manageable. I have 5 Octoliths now so I’ve made some decent progress.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: HopefulToad

HopefulToad
3 months ago#109
Timinatron posted...
Hey thanks for the post! I’ve actually been looking into Zero Mission to play through soon. I also do own Federation Force, and I was planning on playing it next, I’m just having some trouble finding people interested enough to play it. How’s the single player mode? Pretty playable?

The Wii U really is fantastic for its virtual console; it’s one of the reasons I still use it. I’m extremely disappointed in Nintendo for not offering something comparable for the Switch.

As far as Hunters goes, I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would as well. The controls do take some getting used to, but they’re manageable. I have 5 Octoliths now so I’ve made some decent progress.

No problem. Just be aware that Zero Mission is quite short (easily beatable in less than two hours for veterans of the game, but probably add a few hours onto that for your first playthrough). It's very replayable, though.

Federation Force is perfectly enjoyable as a single player experience. I'm pretty sure I played through the normal difficulty all the way through on my own before delving into multiplayer. You're given an optional mod, only available in single player, to double the damage you give and halve the damage you take, though not using that mod gives a massive score boost if you can manage without it. You can also take three drones with you, but I only found them useful in a couple of missions. Be sure to use them in (very minor gameplay spoilers) the mission where you're pulling minecarts through an electric storm, and the one where you're carrying data spheres through an enemy stronghold.

When I played Federation Force in 2018, I was usually able to get an online game without too much trouble (often with Japanese players) though there were definitely times where no one seemed to be online. I don't know how it is now, it might be too slow to regularly get a game, or it might be pretty much the same as last year.

Federation Force is definitely not a traditional Prime game, though. It's mission based, and while there is quite a variety in what each mission entails, there's very little exploration to the game. There are minor secrets to be discovered, but none of them are particularly challenging to find. There's also no scanning, sadly, but you can walk up to certain data points in levels and read them for some backstory or lore. It's a good game, it's just not what people were hoping for, which is why it got so much dislike.

I only have a Wii U, but I know the Switch would definitely appeal more to me with a proper Virtual Console service.
(edited 3 months ago)

Timinatron
3 months ago#110
Very cool, thanks for the tips. I’m going to give FF a go after I wrap up Hunters. Hopefully this weekend. I only have two Octoliths to go, so it should be doable.

Honestly the reason I want to play FF is because of the hate it gets. Makes me more interested in giving it a chance lol. Same reason I played Other M.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Final thoughts on Metroid Prime from a brand new player!
  • Topic Closed