You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. How do you feel about the end of the 3DS as a Wii U gamer?

User Info: Nodrog77

Nodrog77
2 months ago#1
I was just telling my friend, I'm bummed because there will b no more Stereoscopic 3D games any more. That's my favorite feature of my NEW 3DS XL-the 3D..it's 30 % of the experience for me...I LOVE playing games in full Stereoscopic 3D. How do you, as a Wii U gamer look @ the end of the 3DS?
Now playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Kirby Star Allies; Okami HD, Paper Mario Color Splash, Super Smash Bros Ultimate...

User Info: Gamonomania

Gamonomania
2 months ago#2
I'm sad but again, the Wii U/3DS years were a bit miserable IMO as a Nintendo enthusiast.

Region-locked, underpowered hardware, which was unique and quirky but also badly marketed, and felt cheap compared to other gaming products. The software was great though, and in a way I liked the wonky online experiences I had on both platforms (Splatoon, RE mercenaries, triforce heroes, Fast racing neo, MK7) as they were very old school and retro in their own way.

I've not used the 3d slider much to be honest, initially with mario 3d land but as my first 3ds was a normal xl the 3d effect was a pain to use.

I'm still using both consoles obviously so it's alright
I enjoyed my life when I had nothing... and kinda like the idea of just being happy with me.
Joey Ramone

User Info: Mozzezz

Mozzezz
2 months ago#3
The 3D should have been carried over to the Switch but other then that I'm for the most part past it, the games feel dated. The Switch isn't the best replacement for it though and disappoints on many fronts even though it has some bright spots, same scenario with the Wii U though Wii U games don't feel as dated.
"Lower your guard and you will allow the enemy in." - Frog from Chrono Trigger (the original alt frog).
https://imgur.com/hSc6hOs

User Info: Nodrog77

Nodrog77
2 months ago#4
Mozzezz posted...
The 3D should have been carried over to the Switch but other then that I'm for the most part past it, the games feel dated. The Switch isn't the best replacement for it though and disappoints on many fronts even though it has some bright spots, same scenario with the Wii U though Wii U games don't feel as dated.

Man, I wish the 3D would've been carried over. I hope there's a 3D World 2 on Switch-off topic.
Now playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Kirby Star Allies; Okami HD, Paper Mario Color Splash, Super Smash Bros Ultimate...

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
2 months ago#5
Im over the 3DS. I have every game physically that id want to play on it.
The 3DS had a good life. As did the Wii U. Breath of the Wild being the Final Wii U game.
The 3DS is fading fast but i'll still be playing mine long after its discontinued.
Favs: Star Ocean, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776
Waiting For: Final Fantasy 7 Remake
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Littlefoot

Littlefoot
2 months ago#6
It had a long life, but all things come to an end sooner or later, unfortunately.

I view the 3DS as a quirky console that did some things right, some things wrong. The 3D ended up feeling like a gimmick with time, so eventually i always had it turned off to save on battery life and my eyes. Never got the New iteration either.

I'll go back to it every now and then, but it won't happen frequently thanks to my Switch.
A dino with passion for games and technology.
Shantae may be a spirit, but i'm still supporting her as long as she has a chance to be playable.

User Info: excitebike64

excitebike64
2 months ago#7
Depends how you define the end. They just recently rereleased Mario Maker as a Select title. Unless they plan to make the game useless in less than a year, it has another good year or two.

Nintendo in a lot of ways sucks now, but they have been good at giving everyone a chance on older hardware for some time in terms of online. The Wii had a long run, and the Wii U online is still functioning even after hardware stopped.

It could be there will be no more 3DS manufacturing. If that's the end, yes it's possible. But I see the games functioning online for at least a year or two.

If I am wrong, Nintendo will sink to a newer low.
lovecraft223

User Info: TheCodeisBosco

TheCodeisBosco
2 months ago#8
I didn't like the 3DS at all for a long time. It had one of the worst launch year lineups ever, and even for a while after, Nintendo seemed to be taking barely any risks with their first-party lineup. Super Mario 3D Land, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Mario Kart 7, Nintendogs + Cats... just really safe, pedestrian stuff for the most part.

As time went on, we began getting more titles that were genuinely creative and/or passion projects. Over the past year, I've actually played my 3DS more than my Switch, because Sushi Striker and WarioWare Gold are both fantastic.

Also, Smash 3DS was f***ing amazing and was the turning point for my appreciation of the 3DS.

All in all, it definitely isn't among the best Nintendo systems, but the 3DS really turned itself around and proved to be a system worth owning.
Now crack that combination:
27 99 23.

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
2 months ago#9
The 3DS had more life in it yet. Also with my backlog going back to the N64, I find it hard to think of systems as dead or finished. As long as I like some games on a system it isn't dead.

User Info: Mozzezz

Mozzezz
2 months ago#10
I guess I should also clarify not dead but moved to the retro pile of stuff, which I usually don't play as much as active stuff.

Nodrog77 posted...
Mozzezz posted...

Man, I wish the 3D would've been carried over. I hope there's a 3D World 2 on Switch-off topic.

A 3D World 2 would definitely pique my interest. I definitely feel like they opened up a new front in game play only to drop it too soon and not explore it further. Though at this point I'm not sure if I would actually buy it, I've been limiting my Nintendo purchases as of late and drifting away from Nintendo a bit in general.
"Lower your guard and you will allow the enemy in." - Frog from Chrono Trigger (the original alt frog).
https://imgur.com/hSc6hOs
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. How do you feel about the end of the 3DS as a Wii U gamer?