I play my Wii U more so than my Switch for one simple reason...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I play my Wii U more so than my Switch for one simple reason...

User Info: Bass_X0

Bass_X0
1 month ago#1
Virtual Console.

The Switch has completely failed on this point and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.
"Well, it's not a bad game. It's made by Capcom, so how could it?" ~ AVGN

User Info: Arcade2

Arcade2
1 month ago#2
I play my Switch more than Wii U.

User Info: kenff6

kenff6
1 month ago#3
I play with myself more than Wii U

User Info: Lapatik

Lapatik
1 month ago#4
I play with my Wii U more than my Wii U.

User Info: gabelogan183

gabelogan183
1 month ago#5
Bass_X0 posted...
Virtual Console.

The Switch has completely failed on this point and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

Same here. I dont have a Switch but I do plan to get one. No virtual console on Switch is a bummer but I suppose I'll focus more on games for the actual system, again, once I have he console.

As for WiiU, I am bit fearful of when Nintendo will pull the plug on the WiiU eShop or, at least, the virtual console, because there are still plenty of games I want to buy. I guess all I can do is get some eShop cards everytime I head to walmart or target.
PSN Megaman183 / NNID Megaman183

User Info: lukeskywalker66

lukeskywalker66
1 month ago#6
The announcement of retro games being locked to Nintendo's online service is the death of the Virtual Console, which means it's been immortalized on the Wii U. The Wii U will be the last VC Console.

Can't wait to hear how buying NES games for $20/year is "superior" or convenient compared to the Wii U alternative of owning the game.
Anyone can believe in the truth. To believe in nonsense is a demonstration of loyalty... it serves as a uniform.
And if you have a uniform, you have an army.

User Info: Arcade2

Arcade2
1 month ago#7
lukeskywalker66 posted...
The announcement of retro games being locked to Nintendo's online service is the death of the Virtual Console, which means it's been immortalized on the Wii U. The Wii U will be the last VC Console.

Can't wait to hear how buying NES games for $20/year is "superior" or convenient compared to the Wii U alternative of owning the game.

You don't actually "own" digital games, just a license to play them. When the Wii U eShop finally shuts down, and let's say your Wii U crashes and you lose all your VC games, what will you do?

User Info: Bass_X0

Bass_X0
1 month ago#8
Arcade2 posted...

You don't actually "own" digital games, just a license to play them. When the Wii U eShop finally shuts down, and let's say your Wii U crashes and you lose all your VC games, what will you do?

I still have my Wii VC games from 2006. However, some of my Wii discs have become damaged over time and unable to play them.

The Wii U eshop won't be shutting down any time soon. And by the time it does, everyone will have moved onto the Switch and its successor. The old VC games being re-released somehow on later consoles.

NES Mega Man 1 - 6 is just being re-released on Switch in a compilation. Those old games aren't going anywhere.
"Well, it's not a bad game. It's made by Capcom, so how could it?" ~ AVGN

User Info: MannyCav

MannyCav
1 month ago#9

The reason Nintendo did this is probably because of how easy it is to "put" VC games on Wiis (and for that matter Wii Us). Too easy to get "coupons". As to what Arcade2 asks about a console crash after VC shutdown, it just goes to my first point: It's actually quite easy (at least on my Wii) to do a "total system restore", like a system image you can create for Windows that restores the computer precisely back to a specific state. Just import that "state" to a different Wii with compatible "software" and I've got my "Wii" back to a restored state, legal VC purchases included.

Nintendo would rather one not be able to do that, continuing to play those legal purchases on older hardware.

This subscription model is really just an increasing industry trend that has little or nothing to do with customer convenience. Photoshop went from a $300 or whatever program to a monthly Adobe subscription. Microsoft Office is leaning in that direction, as well, and rumors are that Windows is headed that way with 10 being the last "traditional" Windows (you can already see the germ of the subscription idea with mandatory updates). Like with Photoshop, Adobe puts Premiere Pro (a video editor) on a subscription model because of people that pay maybe $200-$300 for VEGAS and use that for the next five or so years (if not longer). Think about it: What maths out better, $20 a month over the course of four years or a $300 flat fee? Nintendo is just following an industry pattern here. Even Volvo/Polestar is getting in on the action with introducing the idea of "subscribing" to a car. It's not a lease, either: You do everything through an "app" store, e.g. you need roof racks or some accessory, you "subscribe" to it for a period of time, then after that time is over, you send them back.

Now granted that $20 a year isn't as much as those things, and buyers could potentially come out ahead, at least on the short term, if they play a large number of 'VC' games over a shorter period of time, an amount that would far exceed $20, $40, $60, etc. Along with getting the online gaming, of course. Doesn't mean it's for the customer's benefit, doesn't mean it's a good/bad move, it's just what we're given to deal with. Me, I like my Wiis and S/NES Minis for what they do and what I paid for them.

I wonder if the Mini consoles were a stopgap in the transition period between Wii/U VC and Switch subscription (and more such consoles won't be happening), or if they're meant to serve as a replacement for the traditional purchase model of having them installed on a Wii/U, and we'll be continuing to see them in the future.
Protest the protests! We need less division, not more.
People sleep peacefully... only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.--Grenier

User Info: 1010101010

1 month ago#10
Arcade2 posted...

Homebrew. You can inject literally any game to the system as a VC game and play it natively rather than having to rely on an unoptimized emulator.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I play my Wii U more so than my Switch for one simple reason...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived