I like the Wii U

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I like the Wii U

User Info: guy12345

guy12345
1 month ago#1
I bought one recently for 100 bucks since no one wants them anymore because of the Switch. Anyway, I got several games and am really enjoying them. Why does the Wii U get so much hate?

Feel free, I'm sure, to tell me why I suck for liking the Wii U, as people on the internet are wont to do

User Info: yosheta

yosheta
1 month ago#2
No idea, it suffered a game drought for a good year though before Nintendo let everyone know they were done with the console.
Dohoho

User Info: cris1ussen

cris1ussen
1 month ago#3
I also love my WiiU, bought it like 3 weeks ago and I don't regret it!, I have enjoyed so much playing Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 online and also I have plenty of other games to play it

Heck even I dare to say that I enjoyed more this console than my PS4 Pro (which I bought the last year)
AC:NL Dream code (updated version): 4F00-000F-4F10
Everyone are welcome!

guy12345
1 month ago#4
Yeah plus the backwards compatibility with Wii means I'll get a lot of play out of it.

I missed a whole generation of video games; I started playing growing up in the 80s with NES/Sega Master System and went up until PS2, then stopped for a good decade or so. So with all the Wii and Wii U games to discover, plus remakes etc of Gamecube games I missed like Wind Waker HD, means I'll have a lot to discover and occupy my time with.

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
1 month ago#5
The best reason, IMO, is that there were long periods of time between significant releases, and a pretty major lack of third party support. It would definitely suck to wait a year to buy a game for a console you just dropped hundreds of dollars into. Now that all of the games are released though, it's not really a relevant problem anymore. Plus most of the games are relatively inexpensive.

Congrats on your purchase! The Wii Shop on the original Wii will not allow you to add money to your account later this month. Be sure to go into Wii Mode to have a look and buy whatever interests you ASAP. There are plenty of threads with recommendations on the Nintendo Wii board here on GameFAQs.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!

User Info: lukeskywalker66

lukeskywalker66
1 month ago#6
The real deal-breaker is the Gamepad. I recently got one too and love the gamepad; with the exception of not being able to dim the screen while using it. Does BotW REALLY need to constantly flash the gamepad screen? That's just silly. But people have complained about it being too big, the battery life being too short, the analogs being symmetrical, the streaming range being too short, etc. (although surprisingly I never saw anyone complain about it not being HD.) And of course, the use of the Gamepad in Wii U games is always a point of contention. You'll always get some people unsatisfied with the way it was used or wasn't used.

So Nintendo made the Switch to address those issues and for those guys. (The same people are of course going to downplay the Switch's downsides like lack of VC / BC, paid online, etc.)

I actually feel somewhat guilty; I was a doomsayer of the Wii U for some time, but it's actually turned out to be my favorite Nintendo console since the 64. All this time I had a 2DS and wondered "Man. Where are the good action games? Racing games? Platformers?" Then I picked up a Wii U and learned they were all here. And I never really was bothered by Treehouse's awful censorship until I grabbed a Wii U. What a loathsome company.
Anyone can believe in the truth. To believe in nonsense is a demonstration of loyalty... it serves as a uniform.
And if you have a uniform, you have an army.

guy12345
1 month ago#7
JonnyBoyFF posted...
The best reason, IMO, is that there were long periods of time between significant releases, and a pretty major lack of third party support. It would definitely suck to wait a year to buy a game for a console you just dropped hundreds of dollars into. Now that all of the games are released though, it's not really a relevant problem anymore. Plus most of the games are relatively inexpensive.

Congrats on your purchase! The Wii Shop on the original Wii will not allow you to add money to your account later this month. Be sure to go into Wii Mode to have a look and buy whatever interests you ASAP. There are plenty of threads with recommendations on the Nintendo Wii board here on GameFAQs.

Thanks! So I've heard this about the Wii shop but can you explain: What is the difference between the Wii Shop and Virtual Console? The VC on the Wii U will continue to exist past March, no?

User Info: BalloonBattle05

BalloonBattle05
1 month ago#8
guy12345 posted...
JonnyBoyFF posted...

Thanks! So I've heard this about the Wii shop but can you explain: What is the difference between the Wii Shop and Virtual Console? The VC on the Wii U will continue to exist past March, no?

Yes the Wii u shop will still continue past March

The Wii Shop will still continue past March as well, but buying points will no longer be available after March
I wonder if several users here like to type with big meaty claws. If not, they don't defend dumb choices like Pokemon Transporter or Nintendo charging for OLMP.

User Info: Torgo

Torgo
1 month ago#9
guy12345 posted...
Why does the Wii U get so much hate?

Some of it is games media hivemind think.

They kept repeating how the early marketing "confused people" and predicting it's demise. Soon the story became the confusion and apprehension gaming media was creating.

It's a controller with a screen on it, not complicated.

There were some legitimate problems, but those shouldn't have really started until after the PS4 and XB1 came around a year later - See the Wii U was quite a bit weaker than those two and lacked the third party support.

Gamers wouldn't have known how much more powerful the PS4 and XB1 were going to be at first, and third party support was largely dropped when the sales started to falter months after the Wii U release, which was largely being sabotaged by constant repetition that you gamers were too stupid and afraid to figure out a controller with a screen on it.

Now, you could say; It's Nintendo's job to communicate what their console does to consumers, but you also have to wonder, isn't it gaming media's job to report facts to their readers and clarify things instead of creating more confusion?

There was also a major backlash against Nintendo in general at the time and motion controls especially by end of the Wii's life cycle.
Gamefaqs: The original home of 'Alternative Facts'...

User Info: Nodrog77

Nodrog77
1 month ago#10
Anytime u got a system that can play:
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Bayonetta 2
Kirby's Epic Yarn
The Wonderful 101..
Not many games but the ones that are there-rock solid..
Now Playing Batman Arkham Knight, Super Mario Galaxy, Voodoo Vince Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, Cuphead
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I like the Wii U

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived