"Twilight Princess syndrome" now in full effect on this board.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. "Twilight Princess syndrome" now in full effect on this board.

User Info: Torgo

Torgo
1 month ago#1
What is Twilight Princess syndrome?

It's the phenomenon where Nintendo is singled out and heavily criticized for cross-gen ports dating back to the end of the Gamecube era when Twilight Princess was also released on Wii.

Back then, because of the nature of the way each hardware generation differed, and the much lower cost and shorter development times for games, this was an unusual practice previously reserved mostly for ports of arcade games.

Fast forward to the end of generation 7:

- The arcade era is pretty much over
- The leap in graphical ability and storage is almost completely a matter of price point
- Development cycles and costs for "AAA" dramatically increases

So...cross gen ports become rather common and much easier since the architecture of most consoles loses it's differentiation and resembles common PC structures, making porting even cheaper and easier.

Yet for some reason...even though cross gen ports are common and expected now, we still have entitled gamers and trolls dusting off the old Gen-6 era narratives about "losing exclusives" in a way that just never gets applied to other console makers.

Apparently, it's great when The Last of Us or Assassin's Creed 4 gets brought to a new generation of consoles, but it's a travesty and a crime when it's Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze?
Gamefaqs: The original home of 'Alternative Facts'...

Torgo
1 month ago#2
The Last of Us gets ported to PS4 = "This is great, now more people can enjoy a great game, it's smart business!"

Bayonetta 2 gets ported to Switch = "Wii U loses another exclusive, Nintendo abandoned it's fans, they have been betrayed!"

User Info: Goombacrusher

Goombacrusher
1 month ago#3
it's supposedly really easy to port things from wii u to switch and most people never bought a wii u so I don't see any real problem with it. it makes perfect sense.

tropical freeze in particular is a gem that too many people missed out on. But I guess the Donkey Kong series is just doomed to be a scapegoat for people's petty gripes with Nintendo?
granted this board is probably not the best place too look at

Torgo
1 month ago#4
Goombacrusher posted...
it's supposedly really easy to port things from wii u to switch and most people never bought a wii u so I don't see any real problem with it. it makes perfect sense.

tropical freeze in particular is a gem that too many people missed out on. But I guess the Donkey Kong series is just doomed to be a scapegoat for people's petty gripes with Nintendo?
granted this board is probably not the best place too look at

It's not just DKC:TF, it's every game that gets ported to Switch.

1) I think probably 95% of the people whining never owned a Wii U and are just Nintendo haters of various stripes that want to troll and push these narratives because they just hate to see Nintendo succeed for whatever reason.

2) The rest are just entitled gamers, or people that bought into the narrative.

What's really funny is when you ask them:
- If they feel compelled or forced at gunpoint to re-buy all those great exclusives they bemoan the loss of exclusivity on Wii U

- What would they do if the game was never ported and remained a Wii U exclusive forever, how would that improve their life in any way?

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
1 month ago#5
It's amazing to me that there are people out there that are upset that Wii U games can be enjoyed by a larger audience. Did we not learn about sharing? It's even easier than sharing -- we still have our games, just as good as they ever were.

I do think it's lame that they removed dual screen functions from Breath of the Wild, but a lot of the Wii U games that were ported did support dual screen features, so the Wii U version can still offer a unique experience.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!

User Info: Nodrog77

Nodrog77
1 month ago#6
It's good that a larger audience will get to enjoy..Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Country Trop Freeze & Captain Toad-that's a good thing for the gamers & Nintendo but I can understand why a Wii U owner would want their favorite games to remain exclusive to the Wii U.

It's like this-if Nintendo leaves a few exclusive that gives them something to feel special about owning one-I'm not puting them down, I relate to that mentality-wanting to have games that make the U special and/or still relevant.

It's like the U has more value to them if it has games that set it apart from the other consoles...& more specifically set it apart from the newer, shinier Nintendo console. I get that.
Now Playing Batman Arkham Knight, Super Mario Galaxy, Voodoo Vince Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, Cuphead

User Info: cris1ussen

cris1ussen
1 month ago#7
Well after reading the other topics of this board, I can't understand either the complains about the Switch ports

I mean I don't want to play the "devil's advocate" but I actually I'm in favor that Nintendo release some of their WiiU games to the Switch, since the WiiU was not a very popular or a well sell it console, it is actually comprehensive that port some of their titles to the Switch, the port method is not as long as develop a new game and besides since the Switch is selling like hot-cakes and getting new types of costumers (like formers PS4 or XB1 players), it makes sense to offer some of their WiiU games to the Switch

Besides not only Nintendo do this, actually Sony did the same thing with the PS4 in remaster and porting some of their PS3 games to the PS4, but there it was a different reason, since the PS4 was getting a big part of new costumers that was formers Xbox fans/players that moved to the PS4 after Microsoft screw up really bad with the Xbox One at the reveal (DRM, game-lock key, etc...) and release (available in 13 countries and the rest of the world: "screw you, wait a year!"), it was very logic from Sony in make some remasters/ports of their populars PS3 games like The Last Us or Uncharted just to show to their new costumers what they missed and also for incentive for the sequels

Of course in the beggining was a good idea but looks like it was darn good because in the end the console trasnformed in the PortStation or RemasterStation 4, lol!
AC:NL Dream code (updated version): 4F00-000F-4F10
Everyone are welcome!

User Info: Master_Magnus

Master_Magnus
1 month ago#8

Apparently, it's great when The Last of Us or Assassin's Creed 4 gets brought to a new generation of consoles, but it's a travesty and a crime when it's Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze?

There were plenty of PS3 games that weren't ported. Exclusives weren't the only redeeming quality the PS3 had. You can't compare PS3 ports with Wii U ports.

- What would they do if the game was never ported and remained a Wii U exclusive forever, how would that improve their life in any way?

Well, I would feel a lot better since that would mean buying a Wii U was worth it.

User Info: este914

este914
1 month ago#9
What the hell did I just read?
--
-

Torgo
1 month ago#10
Master_Magnus posted...
There were plenty of PS3 games that weren't ported.

Okay. Some Wii U games won't be ported, I'm sure. Point?

Master_Magnus posted...
There were plenty of PS3 games that weren't ported. Exclusives weren't the only redeeming quality the PS3 had. You can't compare PS3 ports with Wii U ports.

Why not? You're just putting conditions on things that have no effect on the game itself.
How does it make the port or the original game different?

You're just repeating talking points that have nothing to do with the quality of the content, it's game-media hive-mind talk and it's exactly what drives me crazy about the gaming community.

Master_Magnus posted...
Well, I would feel a lot better since that would mean buying a Wii U was worth it.

Are you thinking of buying a Wii U now, after it's been discontinued and is officially a retro console?
I got news for you - not a lot of official releases on that PS2 or Dreamcast either buddy...
(please don't mention the odd occasional enthusiast release, you know what I mean)

Are you saying that when a game gets ported somewhere else you can no longer enjoy it on the platform you bought it on? Do you believe this bricks the game on the console you have owned the game on for years? - Because I can tell you as a load up Bayonetta 2 on my Wii U that it still runs great.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. "Twilight Princess syndrome" now in full effect on this board.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived