Quality of Wii Virtual Console VS Wii U Virtual Console

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Quality of Wii Virtual Console VS Wii U Virtual Console

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
6 months ago#1
With the Wii Ship closing, I'm starting to consider some more virtual console games that I had been holding off on. The problem that I'm having though, is which Wii emulator should I go with? Or maybe even using the Wii mode of the Wii U?

I've been finding a lot of conflicting reports on which handles certain consoles better. Does anyone know of a list of differences between the 2 virtual consoles in terms of emulation quality? I'm hearing that NES is better on the Wii while the N64 is a matter of preference. I can't find anything about TG-16 emulation.

Any thoughts or facts that you could share would be appreciated. I'm going to pick up Sin & Punishment soon, for example, and I'm not sure which console to get it on. Leaning toward just getting whatever I can on the Wii, but I want to make an informed purchase.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!

User Info: Littlefoot

Littlefoot
6 months ago#2
From experience, i can say that N64 games play better on the Wii virual console because the U ones for some reason suffer from input lag, which is enough to be noticeable. The colors are also darker on the U VC as well. The only advantage the U VC have are save states.

NES games on the U suffers from washed out spirtes because the emulator appareantly forces anti-aliasing. Not sure if they suffer from input lag as well.

Snes games don’t have any of those issues from my experience, so i’d recommend buying those on the Wii U eShop.

Can’t say anything about TG-16 games on the U VC, as i’ve not tried any of them. The ones on the Wii VC runs fine though.
Even a 65-million year old dinosaur can't say no to something fun as gaming.

User Info: Ben111

Ben111
6 months ago#3
Littlefoot posted...
From experience, i can say that N64 games play better on the Wii virual console because the U ones for some reason suffer from input lag, which is enough to be noticeable. The colors are also darker on the U VC as well. The only advantage the U VC have are save states.

NES games on the U suffers from washed out spirtes because the emulator appareantly forces anti-aliasing. Not sure if they suffer from input lag as well.

Snes games don’t have any of those issues from my experience, so i’d recommend buying those on the Wii U eShop.

Can’t say anything about TG-16 games on the U VC, as i’ve not tried any of them. The ones on the Wii VC runs fine though.

Really? Good thing all my 64 games are on wii vc then
My 3ds friend code is 2852-7795-4118
Proud member of the Empoleon army

User Info: Tenchi UK

Tenchi UK
6 months ago#4
the dark screen on N64 games was really bad and never ended up getting fixed

https://i.imgur.com/HxmVBMv.png

snes games are great on wiiu though especially with the ability to play them through the gamepad, the downside is a lot of games arent available on wiiu eshop like chrono trigger.
Pear into Peaches!

User Info: Darkstorm16

Darkstorm16
5 months ago#5
I have a question, is it worth getting any of the n64 games on the wiiu? I only have the wiiu as an option because wii mode isn’t compatible with my router. Also would it be better to purchase games I’m more familiar with? Other than Zelda, mario, megaman, breath of fire my knowledge on most of those virtual consoles are non existent.
Nintendo Network/PSN: Desertking24/Steam:Desertking23
Mario Maker: 4481-0000-0110-25DA

User Info: Ben111

Ben111
5 months ago#6
Darkstorm16 posted...
I have a question, is it worth getting any of the n64 games on the wiiu? I only have the wiiu as an option because wii mode isn’t compatible with my router. Also would it be better to purchase games I’m more familiar with? Other than Zelda, mario, megaman, breath of fire my knowledge on most of those virtual consoles are non existent.

No get the ones on the wii shop before it closes
My 3ds friend code is 2852-7795-4118
Proud member of the Empoleon army

Darkstorm16
5 months ago#7
Ben111 posted...
Darkstorm16 posted...

No get the ones on the wii shop before it closes

I would love to but my router doesn’t support it

Darkstorm16
5 months ago#8
Of the virtual console games on my wishlist I have 93
19 of them are n64
I have 10 of them elsewhere
And I only played 19 of them

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
5 months ago#9
Wii U VC did GBA games really well
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg

User Info: ParadiseRegaind

ParadiseRegaind
5 months ago#10
I’ve been stocking up on my original Wii these past few weeks before the shut down. As others have said, the quality of the emulation is better on the original console. Also it feels great to be buying and playing on the Wii again!
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Quality of Wii Virtual Console VS Wii U Virtual Console

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived