Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

User Info: ColorBattle

ColorBattle
7 months ago#91
I have no interest in buying a Switch. For starters, if you aren't a person that likes to carry video games around with you all day, you aren't going to get much use from the Switch, a portable console. I enjoy video games on my television as a solitary hobby. Not the biggest social bug. Secondly, there's no significance to many of the ports coming on the Switch aside from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2. The only reason Breath of the Wild is on the Switch is because without it, the Switch would've had virtually no (competent) launch games at retail and up until the end of last year. A bigger personal reason is that I'm not about to pay $60 for Hyrule Warriors and Tropical Freeze again when I can go on ebay and pay $20 max for both on a system I actually do own right now. Not everyone hopped on board the "S.S. Switch." I probably won't for a long time and I'm a younger, big Nintendo gamer.

On the topic of Smash Bros., there's absolutely no confirmation whatsoever that game will ever come out on Switch or if another installment will be made. There's no reason to speculate when there isn't a lick of information out there. I highly doubt the Switch will see a Smash Bros. Even if it does, it sure as heck won't be a port of an existing one.

Lastly, Wii U got Tekken. Switch did not get Tekken. That is all.

User Info: StephenYap3

StephenYap3
6 months ago#92
Because Super Mario Maker, Nintendo Land, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.

The first may see a release on Switch, but unless if Nintendo finds a clever way to substitute touch controls for something just as intuitive, I don't feel comfortable constantly docking and undocking my Switch for playtesting and creating levels. I could just see my Switch cradle exploding or my Switch glitching to the skies from all the swapping I have to do just to make a decent level, unless if I was going full portable. I am aware of the 3DS version, but what makes me favor the Wii U version are the amiibo costumes that changes Mario's sprite in the SMB format, not to mention that you have actual search options for when you want to look for a level and able to "like" someone's course. The 3DS version had neither of that, clearly making it the inferior version, even with the added portability.

The second is one of my favorite games on the Wii U for its clever uses of the Wii U Game Pad and because the Switch has no option for dual-screen gameplay, Nintendo Land would have to be stripped down a megaton to accommodate for the Switch's hardware, which wouldn't even be the same game anymore.

As much as I want the third to come to Switch, its low sales and (often unfair) criticism aimed towards its censorship renders this game's Switch port into the day when pigs fly...which saddens me since that happens to be my #1 favorite Wii U game, despite not being much of an Atlus or FE fan.
Still waiting for a Paper Mario RPG, Intelligent Systems. R.I.P. Miiverse 2012 - 2017.

User Info: TsundereAmiChan

TsundereAmiChan
6 months ago#93
I'd rather they let TMS # FE die unless they release it uncensored.
Come and join the new GameFAQs Sailor Moon board!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1426-anime-and-manga-sailor-moon

User Info: Arcade2

Arcade2
6 months ago#94
Nintenking posted...
This seems to be a two fold issue. Firstly, Nintendo wants more of your money. I mean, that's normal. Secondly, the Switch is the first main console since the Wii to not have backwards compatibility with the generation before. Porting games gets over the compatibility issue AND lines their pocket..

Wrong. Wii systems are BC with GameCube games, hence why they have GameCube controller ports and GameCube memory card slots. It wasn't until the last year's they released versions that weren't.

User Info: Nintenking

Nintenking
6 months ago#95
I know that! I messed the wording up a little, but my point was, from the Wii onwards, the Switch is the first console to not be backward compatible.
Nintenking sits down and starts singing about Karma.

User Info: ricshos

ricshos
6 months ago#96
because of homebrew and mods, of course!
Currently playing: Fire Emblem Heroes, FIFA 18 (Nintendo Switch)

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
6 months ago#97
Nintenking posted...
I know that! I messed the wording up a little, but my point was, from the Wii onwards, the Switch is the first console to not be backward compatible.

It's pretty contrived to put an artificial barrier like that, even worded like this there will still be confusion.
It would just be easy to say 'since the gamecube'.

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
6 months ago#98
Because the Switch is mediocre compared to Wii U.
I hate the Switch because it doesnt have youtube or Netflix.
The controller just sucks unless you buy the $80 pro controller.
Battery Life is the driseling s***s, Just three hours
The only positive thing about the Switch is its cartridge based.
Favs: Persona, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake

User Info: SwitchNinja2

SwitchNinja2
6 months ago#99
ColorBattle posted...
I have no interest in buying a Switch. For starters, if you aren't a person that likes to carry video games around with you all day, you aren't going to get much use from the Switch, a portable console. I enjoy video games on my television as a solitary hobby. Not the biggest social bug. Secondly, there's no significance to many of the ports coming on the Switch aside from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2. The only reason Breath of the Wild is on the Switch is because without it, the Switch would've had virtually no (competent) launch games at retail and up until the end of last year. A bigger personal reason is that I'm not about to pay $60 for Hyrule Warriors and Tropical Freeze again when I can go on ebay and pay $20 max for both on a system I actually do own right now. Not everyone hopped on board the "S.S. Switch." I probably won't for a long time and I'm a younger, big Nintendo gamer.

On the topic of Smash Bros., there's absolutely no confirmation whatsoever that game will ever come out on Switch or if another installment will be made. There's no reason to speculate when there isn't a lick of information out there. I highly doubt the Switch will see a Smash Bros. Even if it does, it sure as heck won't be a port of an existing one.

Lastly, Wii U got Tekken. Switch did not get Tekken. That is all.

Why wouldn't the Switch get a Smash Bros.? It's absolutely idiotic to think that Nintendo would just ignore one of their biggest IPs.
"Courage need not be remembered, for it is never forgotten."
Now Playing: Life. Duh.
FinalFantasyForever 6 months ago#100
ArcFan10000 posted...
Because the Switch is mediocre compared to Wii U.
I hate the Switch because it doesnt have youtube or Netflix.
The controller just sucks unless you buy the $80 pro controller.
Battery Life is the driseling s***s, Just three hours
The only positive thing about the Switch is its cartridge based.

I suppose. Didn't pay $80 for my Pro Controller. There were regular sales around BF and Christmas for $55 shipped. Youtube/Netflix will come this year most likely. It's not a big deal with or without. That's what your phone or tablet/computer is for.

Battery life is decent. Sure, they could improve that in some way, but I have an external 20,100mAh battery pack if I really need it. The convenience of switching between playing on the handheld and docking it is great, trust me!
All Your Base Belong To Us
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived