Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

User Info: excitebike64

excitebike64
3 months ago#81
Ben111 posted...
Arcade2 posted...
I'm getting to where I visit this board less and less. Instead of enjoying the Wii U or talking about it, people are too busy complaining about ports to the Switch. Why?

Does the fact people playing games they may have never played upset you? Does it bother you these games aren't exclusive anymore?

Nintendo moved on from the Wii U a while back. Don't let what they do with their newest console upset you this much. These games have been out for a while, many of us having already played them.

I own both consoles, but I promise if I was Wii U only I wouldn't care, cause I'm playing the Wii U. If you don't have a Switch or even want one, then why let ports bother you this much? Maybe it's cause I'm from a different gaming generation but I truly don't get this at all. Just play your games and have fun.

What’s annoying is that nintendo releases the same game with extra content that could of been like 5-20$ dlc as a full price game. That practice is very anti consumer to people who bought the original versions.

Nintendo has been anti consumer for several years now. Frankly I find nearly every gaming company as anti consumer - just to point that out. I guess I preferred the old Nintendo that directly attacked the competition, even if that was also unethical. Instead they just practice every thing that other companies get away with. I see loot boxes one day.
lovecraft223

User Info: Torgo

Torgo
3 months ago#82
Considering they no longer manufacture the console, I would think the only people buying a Wii U now either have some special reason, or are console/retro collectors.

I bought my Wii U in mid 2013. I enjoyed a lot of the games when they were still exclusives, + a lot of VC, indies, and a few nice ports like Darksiders.

I still have it hooked up, I still play games and use the great YouTube app for my second TV where I don't have my PC hooked up to it.

I really like the Wii U, but as of now...it's basically no longer a fully supported console and is retro.
Gamefaqs: The original home of 'Alternative Facts'...

Torgo
3 months ago#83
excitebike64 posted...
Nintendo has been anti consumer for several years now.

Oh boy, here we go...

No, Nintendo are a corporation that have a legal responsibility to shareholders to maximize profits. They are not your special friend or parent.

excitebike64 posted...
Frankly I find nearly every gaming company as anti consumer - just to point that out.

Yup, see above...

If we're being honest, Nintendo are really some of the least offenders in this, the year of gambling loot crates and microtransactions.

excitebike64 posted...
I preferred the old Nintendo that directly attacked the competition, even if that was also unethical.

What?

When was this?

Can you provide examples?

In anything, Nintendo took most of the attacks (IE: Genesis does what Nintendon't and those Sony Cash Brandicoot with a megaphone outside Nintendo HQ commercials)...

All of this stuff is just normal advertising and marketing. Nintendo's brand has been generally non-aggressive and usually focuses on "Wheee Nintendo is fun!" which has given mixed results and had it's own criticisms.

excitebike64 posted...
Instead they just practice every thing that other companies get away with.

Let's be honest.
In some cases, yes...but most often years later and to a lesser degree or in isolated cases.

excitebike64 posted...
I see loot boxes one day.

Oh?

Well why don't you wait until they actually exist before you attack Nintendo for them?

Your bias is showing.

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
3 months ago#84
Torgo posted...
excitebike64 posted...

Oh?

Well why don't you wait until they actually exist before you attack Nintendo for them?

Your bias is showing.

When enough people claim the sky will fall, it eventually will.

Because people are idiots. Don't be a part of the problem, Torgo.
FinalFantasyForever 3 months ago#85
Torgo posted...
Considering they no longer manufacture the console, I would think the only people buying a Wii U now either have some special reason, or are console/retro collectors.

I bought my Wii U in mid 2013. I enjoyed a lot of the games when they were still exclusives, + a lot of VC, indies, and a few nice ports like Darksiders.

I still have it hooked up, I still play games and use the great YouTube app for my second TV where I don't have my PC hooked up to it.

I really like the Wii U, but as of now...it's basically no longer a fully supported console and is retro.

Eh, Youtube on it always sucked. Required the TV for navigation, before switching to Gamepad, etc. (akin to the Settings menu). In this day and age, there are dozens upon dozens of ways playing Youtube that I found myself using the PS3 (and then PS4) for that task, not to mention smartphones, tablets, streaming sticks, etc.
All Your Base Belong To Us

Torgo
3 months ago#86
FinalFantasyForever posted...
Torgo posted...

Eh, Youtube on it always sucked. Required the TV for navigation, before switching to Gamepad, etc. (akin to the Settings menu). In this day and age, there are dozens upon dozens of ways playing Youtube that I found myself using the PS3 (and then PS4) for that task, not to mention smartphones, tablets, streaming sticks, etc.

I have Youtube on my PC and phone and laptop.

I like the Youtube player on Wii U because it works for me. If I want to watch something on the TV screen, I do. Or if I'm working on something or want to play one of my retro systems on my TV I do, and I can have a video playing on the screen.

It's not like some revolutionary thing...but it works for my situation.

It doesn't "suck" ...it does exactly what it's supposed to. Play Youtube videos on either screen.

User Info: excitebike64

excitebike64
3 months ago#87
Torgo posted...
excitebike64 posted...
Nintendo has been anti consumer for several years now.

Oh boy, here we go...

No, Nintendo are a corporation that have a legal responsibility to shareholders to maximize profits. They are not your special friend or parent.

excitebike64 posted...
Frankly I find nearly every gaming company as anti consumer - just to point that out.

Yup, see above...

If we're being honest, Nintendo are really some of the least offenders in this, the year of gambling loot crates and microtransactions.

excitebike64 posted...
I preferred the old Nintendo that directly attacked the competition, even if that was also unethical.

What?

When was this?

Can you provide examples?

In anything, Nintendo took most of the attacks (IE: Genesis does what Nintendon't and those Sony Cash Brandicoot with a megaphone outside Nintendo HQ commercials)...

All of this stuff is just normal advertising and marketing. Nintendo's brand has been generally non-aggressive and usually focuses on "Wheee Nintendo is fun!" which has given mixed results and had it's own criticisms.

excitebike64 posted...
Instead they just practice every thing that other companies get away with.

Let's be honest.
In some cases, yes...but most often years later and to a lesser degree or in isolated cases.

excitebike64 posted...

Oh?

Your bias is showing.

Nintendo would not sell to stores that also sold Sega games, and random variations of that theme. They bullied to stay on top versus Sega.

My bias is corporations are inherently evil. They all eventually succumb to greed. I have not totally stopped being a consumer, but I understand my own limits of tolerance.
lovecraft223

User Info: Nintenking

Nintenking
3 months ago#88
This seems to be a two fold issue. Firstly, Nintendo wants more of your money. I mean, that's normal. Secondly, the Switch is the first main console since the Wii to not have backwards compatibility with the generation before. Porting games gets over the compatibility issue AND lines their pocket.

So, the question is, could they have just added a Wii U disc drive to the Switch? I mean technically, yeah, but I'm not sure how well it would have worked having a drive like that on a slim handheld. Designing it so the drive was on the dock would have worked better, but that would have forced you to play in docked mode, and while being forced to play in docked mode would have been better than basically buying games again, denying portability goes against the point of the Switch.
Nintenking sits down and starts singing about Karma.

Torgo
3 months ago#89
Nintenking posted...
This seems to be a two fold issue. Firstly, Nintendo wants more of your money. I mean, that's normal. Secondly, the Switch is the first main console since the Wii to not have backwards compatibility with the generation before. Porting games gets over the compatibility issue AND lines their pocket.

So, the question is, could they have just added a Wii U disc drive to the Switch? I mean technically, yeah, but I'm not sure how well it would have worked having a drive like that on a slim handheld. Designing it so the drive was on the dock would have worked better, but that would have forced you to play in docked mode, and while being forced to play in docked mode would have been better than basically buying games again, denying portability goes against the point of the Switch.

This is a good point.
The media for Switch is so different than Wii U.

If anything, a slot for 3DS carts would have been amazing.

User Info: sentoworf

sentoworf
3 months ago#90
For me it’s the VC, bunch of indies I got from humble bundles. As well as games like TMS, Xeno X, Smash, and the Mario multiplayer games I can play with friends.
Playing: Nier Automata, Xenoblade 2, Yakuza Kiwami
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived