Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

User Info: Ben111

Ben111
3 months ago#71
Vegeta1000 posted...
Ben111 posted...
Arcade2 posted...
I'm getting to where I visit this board less and less. Instead of enjoying the Wii U or talking about it, people are too busy complaining about ports to the Switch. Why?

Does the fact people playing games they may have never played upset you? Does it bother you these games aren't exclusive anymore?

Nintendo moved on from the Wii U a while back. Don't let what they do with their newest console upset you this much. These games have been out for a while, many of us having already played them.

I own both consoles, but I promise if I was Wii U only I wouldn't care, cause I'm playing the Wii U. If you don't have a Switch or even want one, then why let ports bother you this much? Maybe it's cause I'm from a different gaming generation but I truly don't get this at all. Just play your games and have fun.

What’s annoying is that nintendo releases the same game with extra content that could of been like 5-20$ dlc as a full price game. That practice is very anti consumer to people who bought the original versions.

The Wii U was a massive commercial failure while the Switch has the potential to become one of the best selling consoles of all time. Ported the popular Wii U games to the Switch will breathe new life in those games and give players who avoided the Wii U a chance to finally play those games. No point on making it DLC for Wii U when it's a dead system that won't sell regardless. Why should Nintendo try to appeal to a vocal minority of Wii U fans? You do what's best for business.

“Wii u is a massive faliure”
“Popular wii u games”
The secret most switch fans don’t want you to know is that the wii u is superior to the switch. Wii u has no good games until it suits their manipulative agenda. The fact that the wii u is superior is undeniable even to the most delusional of people. Deny it all you want but that won’t change the fundamental laws of our universe.
My 3ds friend code is 2852-7795-4118

User Info: Arcade2

Arcade2
3 months ago#72
Ben111 posted...
Vegeta1000 posted...
Ben111 posted...
Arcade2 posted...
I'm getting to where I visit this board less and less. Instead of enjoying the Wii U or talking about it, people are too busy complaining about ports to the Switch. Why?

Does the fact people playing games they may have never played upset you? Does it bother you these games aren't exclusive anymore?

Nintendo moved on from the Wii U a while back. Don't let what they do with their newest console upset you this much. These games have been out for a while, many of us having already played them.

I own both consoles, but I promise if I was Wii U only I wouldn't care, cause I'm playing the Wii U. If you don't have a Switch or even want one, then why let ports bother you this much? Maybe it's cause I'm from a different gaming generation but I truly don't get this at all. Just play your games and have fun.

What’s annoying is that nintendo releases the same game with extra content that could of been like 5-20$ dlc as a full price game. That practice is very anti consumer to people who bought the original versions.

The Wii U was a massive commercial failure while the Switch has the potential to become one of the best selling consoles of all time. Ported the popular Wii U games to the Switch will breathe new life in those games and give players who avoided the Wii U a chance to finally play those games. No point on making it DLC for Wii U when it's a dead system that won't sell regardless. Why should Nintendo try to appeal to a vocal minority of Wii U fans? You do what's best for business.

“Popular wii u games”
The secret most switch fans don’t want you to know is that the wii u is superior to the switch. Wii u has no good games until it suits their manipulative agenda. The fact that the wii u is superior is undeniable even to the most delusional of people. Deny it all you want but that won’t change the fundamental laws of our universe.

Honestly it's that kind of attitude right there that annoys me and why I'm disliking this board more. I own both, like both, but don't touch my Wii U as much. I enjoy the Switch more and in MY opinion, it's better in many ways.

When you say things like you did in the way you do, you try to make it come off as a fact. It's your opinion and the fact many people don't have the same opinion as you, you seem to get upset and defend the Wii U.

And again, if you don't own a Switch or want one, why does it bother you what Nintendo is doing? Even if you don't like it, how it is affecting you that you get angry? I don't own a PS4 or Xbox system, so whatever those companies do, I don't care. Doesn't affect me. I'm just trying to understand your anger towards the Switch and the fact people enjoy it more than Wii U. Why are you upset people who NEVER owned a Wii U finally get to play these games? No offense, I just don't get your attitude at all.

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
3 months ago#73
Ben111 posted...
Vegeta1000 posted...
Ben111 posted...
Arcade2 posted...

“Popular wii u games”

Seems like the delusional Wii U defense force has bead reading comprehension. The Wii U being a massive commercial failure doesn't mean it didn't have popular games. Smash Bros, 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles X, DKC Tropical Freeze and such are all popular among the fanbase. None of that changes the fact that it was a massive commercial failure. It barely sold over 13 million units. That's almost half of what the GC sold and many people believed that the system failed commercially. The Saturn has popular games, but it was still a commercial failure. Same goes for the Vita.

The big difference is that the Saturn has achieved cult status and the Vita soon will as many of their popular games will likely never be ported (especially the Saturn since most of its games have a lost source code). Nearly all of the Wii U's popular games are either mutliplats when it was released or will be ported to the Switch if they haven't already. Meaning there likely won't be too many worthwhile Wii U exclusives. Good luck convincing someone that doesn't have a Wii U to buy one over a Switch.
"Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name!" - MF DOOM

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
3 months ago#74
The Switch hasn't even been out for a full year yet so of course the Wii u has a better library for now, but how long will that last? The Switch not only has some big name first party games possibly coming on later this year, but it's gonna be getting good support for nearly every major 3rd party Japanese and Western developer (includes some exclusives). Significant lack of 3rd Party support was one of the biggest reasons for the Wii U's failure.
"Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name!" - MF DOOM

User Info: lowuw

lowuw
3 months ago#75
FinalFantasyForever posted...
I have a Wii U. Have had one since Oct 2014? Great console and all. I now own a Switch as of Nov 2017. With all these announcements of improved ports, is there any redeeming factor in owning a Wii U for what is the dwindling number of Wii U exclusive games (that haven't been announced for Switch!) ?

Super Smash Bros Wii U is a most definitely in the works for Switch. I would say Xenoblade Chronicles X is a good candidate as well.

Why own a Wii when the Wii U can play all Wii games? Why own a GameCube when the Wii can play GameCube games?

User Info: KCJ5062

KCJ5062
3 months ago#76
Well at the moment I really can't afford a Switch. And not only can I play Wii games on my Wii U, but it also has games on it's VC that the Wii VC doesn't have.
It's amazing how people hang around message boards of games they don't like

User Info: TsundereAmiChan

TsundereAmiChan
3 months ago#77
KCJ5062 posted...
Well at the moment I really can't afford a Switch. And not only can I play Wii games on my Wii U, but it also has games on it's VC that the Wii VC doesn't have.

Pretty sure the reverse is also true. La Mulana, for example.

Edit: Never mind, you said virtual console not the shop in general
Come and join the new GameFAQs Sailor Moon board!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1426-anime-and-manga-sailor-moon

User Info: Alphrin

Alphrin
3 months ago#78
CyricsServant posted...
Alphrin posted...
The Switch won't be necessary to play a Zelda game for years, probably not for another half decade if they're making another BotW sized game. And who the hell even knows when the Switch will put any of the other Zelda games on VC, or if they'll ever bring over the superior HD versions of WW and TP.

True, but the irony of this argument is that the Wii U isn't necessary for any Zelda game either. Breath of the Wild was a cross-platform release, so the Wii U never got an "exclusive" Zelda. Since I didn't own a Wii U or a Switch, I bought the Switch specifically for access to BotW (among a few other games).

Also, I have to say I like your "enhanced port" argument in favor of the Wii U. It's a decent argument but, again, something of an ironic one. I think before the end of the year, the Switch will be overflowing with enhanced ports, including one or two Zelda ones like Hyrule Warriors. Whether any of the other 3D Zeldas end up migrating, time will tell.

Why do Wii U ports on Switch count against the Wii U when being able to play every single Gamecube game on Wii doesn't count against the Gamecube?

It shouldn't count against the Wii U, and it shouldn't make Wii U owners enjoy their former exclusives any less. All it means is that those of us who haven't bought a Wii U yet have less of an incentive to do so now.

If that makes Wii U owners angry, and if it's the reason why a lot of them are suffering from buyer's remorse right now, then it makes me question how much they actually enjoyed their console in the first place.

There's way more incentive to buy Wii U hardware right now than there was to buy Gamecube hardware after the Wii came out. I'm not saying it has as much value as a brand new console on the market, but it certainly holds more value than most other Nintendo hardware at the moment.

Vegeta1000 posted...
Alphrin posted...

And it's odd you bring up the Gamecube when there are literally zero games on Gamecube that aren't playable on another system. Why do Wii U ports on Switch count against the Wii U when being able to play every single Gamecube game on Wii doesn't count against the Gamecube?

Because the GC games aren't a part of a Wii's library. Me being able to play Super Mario Sunshine on the Wii does not make it a Wii game. The Wii U ports are actually a part of the Switch's library especially since the majority of them are enhanced ports with extra content.

Okay but what does that have to do with the value of the hardware, which is what this topic is about?

What you're talking about is more of an arbitrary psychological thing, which has nothing to do with functionality. If I can play a certain piece of software on a certain piece of hardware, then functionally that piece of software should be included among all the pieces of software that can be played on that certain piece of hardware.

User Info: Caltenburn

Caltenburn
3 months ago#79
Wii U is HD too, way cheaper, games are way cheaper, and you can hack it. Not to mention full backwards compatibility with the Wii, including the gamecube if you hack. You can literally play every smash bros game on the Wii U. The Wii U is the perfect all-in-one ultimate Nintendo console. Seems like a slam dunker to me...
FE Heroes: Alten 3834889796

User Info: TsundereAmiChan

TsundereAmiChan
3 months ago#80
Caltenburn posted...
Wii U is HD too, way cheaper, games are way cheaper, and you can hack it. Not to mention full backwards compatibility with the Wii, including the gamecube if you hack. You can literally play every smash bros game on the Wii U. The Wii U is the perfect all-in-one ultimate Nintendo console. Seems like a slam dunker to me...

Not every. You can't play Smash 3DS. Though it's not like that's a huge deal.
Come and join the new GameFAQs Sailor Moon board!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1426-anime-and-manga-sailor-moon
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived