Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?
(message deleted)

User Info: CyricsServant

CyricsServant
1 month ago#62
Alphrin posted...
The Switch won't be necessary to play a Zelda game for years, probably not for another half decade if they're making another BotW sized game. And who the hell even knows when the Switch will put any of the other Zelda games on VC, or if they'll ever bring over the superior HD versions of WW and TP.

True, but the irony of this argument is that the Wii U isn't necessary for any Zelda game either. Breath of the Wild was a cross-platform release, so the Wii U never got an "exclusive" Zelda. Since I didn't own a Wii U or a Switch, I bought the Switch specifically for access to BotW (among a few other games).

Also, I have to say I like your "enhanced port" argument in favor of the Wii U. It's a decent argument but, again, something of an ironic one. I think before the end of the year, the Switch will be overflowing with enhanced ports, including one or two Zelda ones like Hyrule Warriors. Whether any of the other 3D Zeldas end up migrating, time will tell.

Why do Wii U ports on Switch count against the Wii U when being able to play every single Gamecube game on Wii doesn't count against the Gamecube?

It shouldn't count against the Wii U, and it shouldn't make Wii U owners enjoy their former exclusives any less. All it means is that those of us who haven't bought a Wii U yet have less of an incentive to do so now.

If that makes Wii U owners angry, and if it's the reason why a lot of them are suffering from buyer's remorse right now, then it makes me question how much they actually enjoyed their console in the first place.

User Info: CaptainWario

CaptainWario
1 month ago#63
CyricsServant posted...
Alphrin posted...
The Switch won't be necessary to play a Zelda game for years, probably not for another half decade if they're making another BotW sized game. And who the hell even knows when the Switch will put any of the other Zelda games on VC, or if they'll ever bring over the superior HD versions of WW and TP.

True, but the irony of this argument is that the Wii U isn't necessary for any Zelda game either. Breath of the Wild was a cross-platform release, so the Wii U never got an "exclusive" Zelda. Since I didn't own a Wii U or a Switch, I bought the Switch specifically for access to BotW (among a few other games).

Also, I have to say I like your "enhanced port" argument in favor of the Wii U. It's a decent argument but, again, something of an ironic one. I think before the end of the year, the Switch will be overflowing with enhanced ports, including one or two Zelda ones like Hyrule Warriors. Whether any of the other 3D Zeldas end up migrating, time will tell.

Why do Wii U ports on Switch count against the Wii U when being able to play every single Gamecube game on Wii doesn't count against the Gamecube?

It shouldn't count against the Wii U, and it shouldn't make Wii U owners enjoy their former exclusives any less. All it means is that those of us who haven't bought a Wii U yet have less of an incentive to do so now.

If that makes Wii U owners angry, and if it's the reason why a lot of them are suffering from buyer's remorse right now, then it makes me question how much they actually enjoyed their console in the first place.

Nintendo Wii U owners are salty because they see "deluxe" version of game they bought and had to buy dlc for, release on switch just a few years later ( in some cases 2 years). Nintendo did not use to do that in a such blatent manner, it use to mostly wait a generation between re-release and not pillage the previous console library to feed the next.

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
1 month ago#64
Alphrin posted...

And it's odd you bring up the Gamecube when there are literally zero games on Gamecube that aren't playable on another system. Why do Wii U ports on Switch count against the Wii U when being able to play every single Gamecube game on Wii doesn't count against the Gamecube?

Because the GC games aren't a part of a Wii's library. Me being able to play Super Mario Sunshine on the Wii does not make it a Wii game. The Wii U ports are actually a part of the Switch's library especially since the majority of them are enhanced ports with extra content.
"Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name!" - MF DOOM

User Info: Xoned

Xoned
1 month ago#65
Third party reasons. (Really there is a small bunch of good third party titles on the U that may never see the light of day on Switch) Also, why should I buy a system that has remakes of games I have/can already play, it's insane to spend all this money on a system, and all the games, just to spend more on a new system, and play all the same games, sure you get more content, but it's still the same game, which was essentially Wii U's very same problem(Nintendo did not have enough exclusives, and had to depend on third parties for launch, so for the most part you were asked to pay for a new system, and games you could enjoy on other systems you most likely owned) The only reason the Switch is doing as well as it is is because of portability more than having a list of awesome true exclusives. (Mario, Splatoon 2, Mario/Rabbids game) the rest of the stuff you can find on other systems(That's truly worthy of note)

CyricsServant
1 month ago#66
CaptainWario posted...
CyricsServant posted...
Alphrin posted...

Nintendo Wii U owners are salty because they see "deluxe" version of game they bought and had to buy dlc for, release on switch just a few years later ( in some cases 2 years). Nintendo did not use to do that in a such blatent manner, it use to mostly wait a generation between re-release and not pillage the previous console library to feed the next.

I don't know if I agree with that. Backwards comparability aside, the Wii had a number of gamecube ports that were billed as "new play control!" games, like Pikmin 1-2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Metroid Prime 1-2. And let's not forget that Twilight Princess was delayed so Nintendo could have a cross-platform release.

Even if this is atypical for Nintendo though, what's the issue? It just means more gamers will have the opportunity to play games they missed out on. Wii U owners aren't being deprived of their gameplay experiences, so I don't see why a handful of them (who I'm assuming are a vocal minority) are upset that Switch-only owners are going to get the chance to play the same games. Wii U owners got to play them years before and with a different control scheme (which I assume Wii U owners enjoyed). There's nothing to be salty over.

CyricsServant
1 month ago#67
Xoned posted...
Third party reasons. (Really there is a small bunch of good third party titles on the U that may never see the light of day on Switch) Also, why should I buy a system that has remakes of games I have/can already play, it's insane to spend all this money on a system, and all the games, just to spend more on a new system, and play all the same games, sure you get more content, but it's still the same game, which was essentially Wii U's very same problem(Nintendo did not have enough exclusives, and had to depend on third parties for launch, so for the most part you were asked to pay for a new system, and games you could enjoy on other systems you most likely owned) The only reason the Switch is doing as well as it is is because of portability more than having a list of awesome true exclusives. (Mario, Splatoon 2, Mario/Rabbids game) the rest of the stuff you can find on other systems(That's truly worthy of note)

I agree that you shouldn't buy a system until it has enough content to entertain you. That's why I took a pass on the Wii U.

That being said though, I don't agree that Portability is the main selling point of the Switch. I think it has a lot more to do with the content. The Switch is only a year old, and it already has new Mario, Zelda, Splatoon and Xenosaga games, with a new Kirby game just around the corner. The Mario and Zelda games are also two of the most critically acclaimed video games of not just 2017, but of all time. I bought my system for the software, and I know a lot of other people have too. The portability thing is probably big in Japan, but I have yet to see a single person playing a Switch on public transportation. It really is the software pushing the system.

User Info: Arcade2

Arcade2
1 month ago#68
I'm getting to where I visit this board less and less. Instead of enjoying the Wii U or talking about it, people are too busy complaining about ports to the Switch. Why?

Does the fact people playing games they may have never played upset you? Does it bother you these games aren't exclusive anymore?

Nintendo moved on from the Wii U a while back. Don't let what they do with their newest console upset you this much. These games have been out for a while, many of us having already played them.

I own both consoles, but I promise if I was Wii U only I wouldn't care, cause I'm playing the Wii U. If you don't have a Switch or even want one, then why let ports bother you this much? Maybe it's cause I'm from a different gaming generation but I truly don't get this at all. Just play your games and have fun.

User Info: Ben111

Ben111
1 month ago#69
Arcade2 posted...
I'm getting to where I visit this board less and less. Instead of enjoying the Wii U or talking about it, people are too busy complaining about ports to the Switch. Why?

Does the fact people playing games they may have never played upset you? Does it bother you these games aren't exclusive anymore?

Nintendo moved on from the Wii U a while back. Don't let what they do with their newest console upset you this much. These games have been out for a while, many of us having already played them.

I own both consoles, but I promise if I was Wii U only I wouldn't care, cause I'm playing the Wii U. If you don't have a Switch or even want one, then why let ports bother you this much? Maybe it's cause I'm from a different gaming generation but I truly don't get this at all. Just play your games and have fun.

What’s annoying is that nintendo releases the same game with extra content that could of been like 5-20$ dlc as a full price game. That practice is very anti consumer to people who bought the original versions.
My 3ds friend code is 2852-7795-4118

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
1 month ago#70
Ben111 posted...
Arcade2 posted...

What’s annoying is that nintendo releases the same game with extra content that could of been like 5-20$ dlc as a full price game. That practice is very anti consumer to people who bought the original versions.

The Wii U was a massive commercial failure while the Switch has the potential to become one of the best selling consoles of all time. Ported the popular Wii U games to the Switch will breathe new life in those games and give players who avoided the Wii U a chance to finally play those games. No point on making it DLC for Wii U when it's a dead system that won't sell regardless. Why should Nintendo try to appeal to a vocal minority of Wii U fans? You do what's best for business.
"Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name!" - MF DOOM
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Honestly, why own a Wii U now that the Switch is getting the best ports?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived