One of the main reasons this system ultimately failed, its bad gimmick.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. One of the main reasons this system ultimately failed, its bad gimmick.

User Info: the_NGW

the_NGW
3 months ago#1
See: Star Fox Zero forcing you to use two screens to play it properly.

The Wii was built around the Wii remote, motion controls being a major factor in console gaming more or less for the first time. It was a fun and interesting gimmick that led to a lot of really fun and casual or cool games that were either built around it (Wii Sports) or implemented it (No More Heroes, MadWorld) well. Casuals ate it up because they could spend their Sunday nights bowling with grandma (not gonna lie, we had a lot of fun passing the remotes around at my grandma's house when we still had regular get togethers there), which really pushed the system sales-wise, which led to it receiving better support than expected and several developers were even open to experimenting with what the system had to offer.

The Wii U had...an expensive controller that had a screen attached to it that offered more frustrating gimmicks than anything helpful when it was being used for anything other than quirky multiplayer options or maps/menu screens. Devs didn't know what to do with it, Nintendo didn't know what to do with it and when they tried something with it, it actively made the game worse because of it (Star Fox Zero). The best thing it offered was off tv play, which is likely at least part of what inspired the Switch, which makes far far better use of its own "gimmick" as a selling point.

I can't recall, but weren't you only able to connect one at a time as well? I seem to remember something about that too.

There really were just no good options for ways to implement the thing. As I said, Star Fox Zero showed one of the biggest reasons it was a bad idea and why most wouldn't work. The best use of it I could think of would be something like Pokemon Snap where you used it like a giant camera and held it up to take pictures or something. Otherwise, yeah it really was just best to use as a menu/inventory/map screen in your hands or something.
GP Vs 2016: Second Place Winner
PSN: ourtheNGW, Now Playing: Elex, Super Mario Odyssey, Doom, Skyrim, Brawlout, Stardew Valley, EDF 4.1, Nine Parchments, Furi

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
3 months ago#2
the_NGW posted...
Devs didn't know what to do with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhDOINfwFEs

That is interesting because as someone that spent a lot of time playing online multiplayer games on other (non-Nintendo) platforms before the Wii U was revealed. I still remember this over one hour Ubisoft developer roundtable showcasing several of their developers and what they were going to do with the Wii U gamepad.

In fact, the first presentation of this show was the Ghost Recon Online demo that motivated me to want to buy the console for several reasons. Having an interactive map on the screen to share information with teammates, and using the gamepad for voice chat and possibly text chat as well. When I first saw this demonstration again as someone that plays a lot of online multiplayer. I saw the potential for a leap forward in online console gaming with this controller.

So I kind of get tired of seeing people say that developers didn't know what to do with the gamepad when from the beginning some of the best ideas in games for what the controller was going to be used for were never made. The Wii U saw nothing but developers holding their games back and making excuses for why they didn't want to bring their software to the console.

That is one of the biggest reasons why it failed. Nintendo also knew that their online presence on home consoles with the Wii was lacking. The Wii U was the perfect opportunity for them to correct this, and they did next to nothing about it. The online social applications were never there to fully support their gamepad, and neither were the games.

The controls in Star Fox Zero were a bad idea that reflects some of the people at Nintendo's backwards thinking. When they should have been using dual screen co-op with the gamepad to make incredible online battles that no one else has done before while keeping the controls for the single player game that people were used to. They were instead too busy trying to force feed a gimmick control method into the series that wasn't fun to immediately pick up and play. This can't be blamed on the hardware. It was a bad design choice.

User Info: excitebike64

excitebike64
3 months ago#3
Like this topic
lovecraft223

User Info: Endgame

Endgame
3 months ago#4
The games themselves being bad is the real reason Wii U failed.

Take away the gamepad gimmicks, and Star Fox Zero would just be a soulless rehash of SF64.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert

User Info: Icewitch

Icewitch
3 months ago#5
Endgame posted...
The games themselves being bad is the real reason Wii U failed.

Take away the gamepad gimmicks, and Star Fox Zero would just be a soulless rehash of SF64.

That's not true at all though since many of the Wii U's biggest games are on or are being ported to Switch and are doing very well there.

Wii U's failure wasn't a software problem, it was the console hardware being crap based around a crappy gimmick.
^.^

User Info: Brianst0rm

Brianst0rm
3 months ago#6
Not reading this wall of text

User Info: the_NGW

the_NGW
3 months ago#7
Brianst0rm posted...
Not reading this wall of text

Wall of text, by definition, has no line breaks.
GP Vs 2016: Second Place Winner
PSN: ourtheNGW, Now Playing: Elex, Super Mario Odyssey, Doom, Skyrim, Brawlout, Stardew Valley, EDF 4.1, Nine Parchments, Furi
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. One of the main reasons this system ultimately failed, its bad gimmick.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived