Did anybody else choose a Wii U over a Switch & what were your reasons?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Did anybody else choose a Wii U over a Switch & what were your reasons?

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
6 months ago#21
@jimi_dini

You're just making stuff up because the facts aren't on your side. Everyone loves the Switch and it is selling like hot cakes.

You say it is objectively bad. Well you're clearly using the word objectively wrong. The fact that it is so popular means it can't possibly be objectively bad.

You say it's not working as well as the Wii + DS? You say that the Wii + DS didn't need marketing? The Wii had a TON of marketing that was very effective. Remember the "Wii would like to play" ads? Those were huge.

The Switch is also selling at a faster pace than the Wii. It is literally the fastest selling Nintendo console ever. These are facts.

You can keep taking pot shots against the system all you want, or you can just buy one and enjoy like the rest of us. Your call dude.

Here's one last fact for you. I own both a Wii U and a Switch and I have barely touched my Wii U since getting the Switch.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg

User Info: JonnyBoyFF

JonnyBoyFF
6 months ago#22
If you're keeping up with every system and place an emphasis on playing the newest games then obviously you'll go with the Switch -- and that's fine and good for you. I do think that it's inevitable that we'll see a new iteration of the Switch at some point in its life, so I'm content with waiting.

Also, as I'm being honest, new games these days rarely -- if ever -- impress me anymore. They can still be fun and intriguing, but we're not talking about an upgrade from the NES to SNES to N64 to GameCube. I don't need to rush out to own a system that can handle 3D environments or something mind blowing. In fact, VR seems like the next step and none of the consoles have nailed it.

I took my time with the 3DS, and I ended up with the New 3DSXL. I missed Four Swords Anniversary Edition, Donkey Kong Original Edition, and the Ambassador Program. That sucks, but I got to get the (seemingly, arguably) best version of the hardware and a huge library to play with.

I took my time with the Wii U, and I missed Miiverse functions, and probably something else, IDK. But I saved some money and I have the entirety of the library to play with now... I've got a couple dozen games and I've got my eye on some more. I don't have anything to complain about because I knew exactly what I was getting.

I could have picked up a Switch. I could play the 5 or so games that interest me and wait as the games trickle out. And I would be happy with that. However, I speculate that I would also want to buy another one at some point. Nintendo nailed iterative upgrades decades before Microsoft picked up on it. I believe there were 7 iterations of GameBoy, and the old DS models play GBA games too, for example.

Anyway, just play what you enjoy. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong here. Side note, IMO, Nintendo should absolutely charge for some online services.
Life's too short to hate! Let's band together!
Become immortal Before it's too late!

TheRushDawg
6 months ago#23
JonnyBoyFF posted...

Also, as I'm being honest, new games these days rarely -- if ever -- impress me anymore. They can still be fun and intriguing, but we're not talking about an upgrade from the NES to SNES to N64 to GameCube. I don't need to rush out to own a system that can handle 3D environments or something mind blowing. In fact, VR seems like the next step and none of the consoles have nailed it.

Anyway, just play what you enjoy. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong here. Side note, IMO, Nintendo should absolutely charge for some online services.

These are both points I agree with.

Having lived through many console generation transitions, I honestly haven't been blown away by the upgrade in console "power" since the 6th generation (the Dreamcast looked LEAGUES better than the N64 / PS1 in 1999).

Overall, you're right that we should just play what we enjoy. Both the Wii U and the Switch are great; I've just personally found the Switch to be a big improvement (not in terms of "power", but in terms of convenience and game library).

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
6 months ago#24
TC after I got settled in with the Wii U I thought this might be my last Nintendo Home Console,
I was right the Switch turned out to be a crappy hybrid so I didn't buy one.
Favs: Persona, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake

User Info: Nodrog77

Nodrog77
6 months ago#25
ArcFan10000 posted...
TC after I got settled in with the Wii U I thought this might be my last Nintendo Home Console,
I was right the Switch turned out to be a crappy hybrid so I didn't buy one.

I love mine.
GT: Bludluvr Where do you get off exceeding the limits of Sex appeal? Now playing Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D World, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

User Info: Nerfed_Me

Nerfed_Me
6 months ago#26
I just got the Wii U in December mostly cause I always wanted to play xenoblade chronicles x cause it looked awesome but didn't want to buy the system just for this game when it was 300 for the system.

If your into future collecting and the prospect of future retro gaming, the Wii U reaks of the modern day sega saturn so 15-20 years later I'm expecting the system and games that aren't ported to the switch to eventually go up in price.

Since the Wii U was in 3rd(last) place like the Saturn in its time there is a lot less systems out there plus the game pad will probably be harder to take care of and upkeep on top of the disc drive maybe dying I'm expecting these things one day will be way more expensive than 360/PS3 systems.
Your so shocked your forever shooked.

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
6 months ago#27
Very True Nerf. It's like that Sega Saturn and thier is not going to be that many systems to go around. A collectors item like the Saturn.
Favs: Persona, Final Fantasy,Tales series PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake

TheRushDawg
6 months ago#28
Wii U will be much more like the Dreamcast than the Saturn. A system that had a great library of exclusives in its time, with many of those exclusives receiving ports to other consoles (in the Wii U's case, mostly the Switch).

It will still be a collectors item, but just like the Dreamcast it won't be nearly as expensive as the Saturn.

User Info: e53w46556

e53w46556
6 months ago#29
DarkMark942 posted...
Lol little kids. One day you'll be grown up and be able to afford multiple consoles, rather than having to "choose" which one mommy and daddy buy lol.

Low income adults that live alone like buying video games, too. Many know how to budget. Go for cheaper options and more can be purchased. Sometimes, cheaper options are the only things possible to invest in or at least the only thing a sensible individual would.

I imagine you probably feel that low income adults should devote every waking minute to escaping their situation. I agree with the sentiment that a person in that economic position should be trying to improve their quality of life if they're unsatisfied, but I disagree with the idea that life for the poor should be all work and no play, especially in this unpredictable world.

If a poor person can invest in their hobbies or luxuries every once in a while without financially crippling themselves, I don't see why they shouldn't.

Now, I'm not trying to put words into your mouth. I'm just trying to address the blatant exclusion of low income players in your post, as if to suggest that you're either financially dependent or making enough to be living comfortably.

As for the topic at hand, I already had a Wii U when Switch was released, but if I had to choose between the two right now, I'd go for the Wii U unless Metroid Prime 4 was out. The Switch has some fun looking games, but most of its heaviest first party hitters don't really appeal to me: I don't like open world games (Breath of the Wild), I'm not a big fan of collectathons (Super Mario Odyssey), I'm not into fighting games (Pokken Tournament DX and ARMS), I prefer my racing games to have more depth and track complexity than randomness (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe), and I prefer an emphasis on single player to multiplayer, especially competitive multiplayer (Splatoon 2, Pokken Tournament DX, ARMS, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe).

Say what you will about the Wii U's first party lineup, but it tended to be more in line with what I enjoy most in games.

User Info: neschest

neschest
6 months ago#30
I bought a Wii U in April. I have about 40 games now.

The reason I did that instead of saving for a switch has primarily to do with 1. Money and 2. Collecting.

1. Buying games new, I find to be a bit expensive, so I prefer used or try to find deals at certain retailers if they have sales. Average Wii u game price < Switch at this time. I could wait for Wii U game prices to be cheaper but then in a few years they will be harder to find in stores or pawn shops.

2. In terms of collecting, the fact that the physical Wii U library is essentially finished, gives an opportunity for doing research and trying to see which games I want to try and find out there and then complete. Also I like that the Wii U library is small.

Plus I only play video games in the house, too self conscious in public.

Those are the reasons I bought a Wii U over Switch.
www.youtube.com/c/neschest
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Did anybody else choose a Wii U over a Switch & what were your reasons?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived