So remind me again what was wrong with Sonic Lost worlds?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. So remind me again what was wrong with Sonic Lost worlds?

User Info: Brettsky128

Brettsky128
6 months ago#31
Beating a level in Sonic Lost World is like falling down the stairs and landing on your feet. Sure, at the end you're standing, but getting there was all wrong.
Xbox: brettsky128 - PS: brettsky128 - Switch: brettsky128 - Steam: brettsky128 - GoG: brettsky128 gfaqs: brettsky128 - Youtube: brettsky128...

User Info: SwitchNinja2

SwitchNinja2
6 months ago#32
yahya_no_1 posted...
I read the posts, either sonic fans are hopeless (which seems to be the case), were hell bent on getting a 2D game or they were expecting another Sonic generation.

I guess the series is where it is right now due to the fans refusing to go beyond the 2D platform, and Sega screwing it up not helping, but this one is good, it's fun, simple and I can see a second shot at this would work.

Mario odyssey isn't that far off from this game in terms of content, but when it comes to Nintendo fans, they will go as far as defending color splash

Color Splash is atrocious in so many ways. The only redeeming factors are its dialogue and art style and even they get old after a while.
Ah, GameFAQs. The home of saltiness.

User Info: Seacliff217

Seacliff217
6 months ago#33
Tenchi UK posted...

with forces it was an odd case, in that they were using a formula which had worked before but the execution was off, at least in regards to the sonic and classic stages.

With forces, the issue is Sega thought they could make a Sonic game by just checking off boxes, but took nothing into consideration when it came to flow or execution.

The fact that none of the level designers worked on a previous boost game made that obvious to me.

It's a messy hodgepodge, the worst offender of the previous spaghetti sauce example in the worst possible way. Bringing back boost and trying to expand on those mechanics was initially a good idea, but they ended up removing drifting and more dynamic level gimmicks to please those who want to constantly go fast. They wanted to appease those wanting darker stories with edgier themes, but they also wanted to appease those with more lighthearted stories by making sure Sonic doesn't take anything seriously in game. They wanted to appease new audiences with the Avatar, but they also wanted to appease classic fans with classic Sonic.

And how they implement said mechanics was done by a checklist and nothing more. "How do we make sure Classic Sonic feels like Mania? Just give him the drop dash, that's enough, right?"

Lost World is only just a bit better of a hodgepodge melting pot. They tried to appease classic fans by bringing back older terms like Badnick. They tried to appease Color fans by bringing back the wisps. They tried to appease Mario fans with the change in art style (for the Nth time) and spherical platforms like Galaxy. And they tried to appease those wanting a darker story and a simpler one at the same time, which ultimately leaves a lot of flat characters and loose ends.

I wouldn't mind the change if they just... stuck with it. Improve on it to make it control better and play better with better levels. But nope, just because in it's more unpolished state players aren't liking its mechanics, it apparently means they never will. Sega never looks past the drawing board, it's either black or white to them. Never an array or at least a spectrum.

User Info: Tenchi UK

Tenchi UK
6 months ago#34
Seacliff217 posted...
The fact that none of the level designers worked on a previous boost game made that obvious to me.

yeah the level design certainly felt like it took a hit. there were a lot fewer extra routes than generations and the stages didnt feel like they flowed as well, with each segment being seperated by grind rails or those rings which flung you about.
Pear into Peaches!

User Info: IngSlayer

IngSlayer
6 months ago#35
"ahyuk sonic fans never satisfied"

The morons that say this s*** are the ones that are hopeless. They're like the waiter that always f***s up the orders in obvious ways yet is too stupid to figure out what he did wrong.

User Info: Veemon_X

Veemon_X
6 months ago#36
I have the 3DS version. I like it, but I don't like the bonus stages. Gyroscopic controls just aren't fun.
Phone designer A: I have an idea! Let's get rid of the headphone jacks!
Phone designer B: Hell yeah! Full steam ahead on the derp train!

User Info: Mr_Rudd

Mr_Rudd
5 months ago#37
yahya_no_1 posted...
I just got it, and it's pretty fun, why were the fans pissed about this? it's miles better than the last 2 sonic games lol

lol, f*** no. Sonic Forces and especially Sonic Mania s*** all over the travesty that is Lost World. Most half-assed attempt at riffing Mario I've ever seen.

User Info: Veemon_X

Veemon_X
5 months ago#38
Mr_Rudd posted...
yahya_no_1 posted...
I just got it, and it's pretty fun, why were the fans pissed about this? it's miles better than the last 2 sonic games lol

lol, f*** no. Sonic Forces and especially Sonic Mania s*** all over the travesty that is Lost World. Most half-assed attempt at riffing Mario I've ever seen.

Sonic Mania at least. I found Lost World more enjoyable than Sonic Forces.
Phone designer A: I have an idea! Let's get rid of the headphone jacks!
Phone designer B: Hell yeah! Full steam ahead on the derp train!
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. So remind me again what was wrong with Sonic Lost worlds?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived