Will my wii u console and gamepad still work in 10+ years?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Will my wii u console and gamepad still work in 10+ years?

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
4 months ago#11
I have older LCD computer monitors that I have been using nonstop for a longer period of time that are still working. So I am not worried about my Wii U gamepad. When the time comes that I am not playing the console much anymore. I will remove the battery from the gamepad, and put the system back in it's box. All of my Nintendo consoles from NES to Wii U are still working properly.

User Info: SaraAB87

SaraAB87
4 months ago#12
Some nintendo consoles don't work if you take the battery out, or the battery dies completely, so you can't just use it with a power cord and a dead battery, but hoarding a battery doesn't work either because lithium batteries lose their charge over time. Best bet is to just look for a battery when the time comes. The chances of some company making batteries for a very long time is very high. My GBA SP will not plug in at all if the battery is removed or a dead battery is placed inside it.
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 3926-4622-6128

User Info: MordecaiRocks

MordecaiRocks
4 months ago#13
My GamePad hardly lasts an hour off a full charge anymore, but I suppose that's to be expected and the battery is probably replaceable.

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
4 months ago#14
excitebike64 posted...
The problem will be the lithium battery.

Good thing that Iwata-Nintendo was customer friendly back then and the battery is easily replaceable.
There are even 3rd party batteries. Same with the 3DS.
Unlike some other "portable" console.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.

User Info: PoorRetroGamer

PoorRetroGamer
4 months ago#15
The old Gamecube I had is broken now, driver got burned like 14 years later after I purchased it back in the first half of 2002. My nephew was playing it since 2010.

I believe the blu-ray reader of WiiU won't last much more than that.

I still have all my consoles working, but the OG XBOX driver is broken and I play from internal HD. I believe with the WiiU will be the same since its totally possible.

Consoles that makes me worried are the PS2 and Sega Dreamcast because these consoles requires modding to play because their reader speed from factory ports are too slow to run games.

Sega Saturn is by far the most resistant disc based console ever made.
Dreamcast is the worst.

Catridge consoles like the N64 its unlikely they will not work in the future.

User Info: DragonKnightFPQ

DragonKnightFPQ
4 months ago#16
Yeah I dont use discs on wii u :) im mainly concerned for the tablet, i never use it unpess its mandatory though

jimi_dini
4 months ago#17
DragonKnightFPQ posted...
Yeah I dont use discs on wii u :) im mainly concerned for the tablet, i never use it unpess its mandatory though

Pro-Tip: you can actually import a gamepad from anywhere and it will work.
It will only NOT work for updating the system. And that's not relevant anymore.

I actually just imported a Japanese Wii U with its own gamepad. So now I have 2 gamepads.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

User Info: TheRushDawg

TheRushDawg
4 months ago#18
DragonKnightFPQ posted...
If well taken care of? Or can it not last like snes, cube, wii etc

SNES, Cube and Wii all last well. SNES in particular has no moving parts. Working SNES units are very common to find.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg

User Info: darklink1017

darklink1017
3 months ago#19
Don't worry about it. In 10 years, even the cheapest PC will be able to emulate the Wii U in case your hardware gets damaged.

Just enjoy what you have right now.
SNOOKI LMAO --->http://i.imgur.com/Pgtkt.gif
RONDA LMAO ---->https://i.imgur.com/duzX4Vn.jpg

jimi_dini
3 months ago#20
darklink1017 posted...
cheapest PC

First of all, I seriously doubt that cheapest PCs (or any PC) will come with a tablet, capable of streaming 60 fps without lag from a PC and with proper analog sticks, proper digipad, proper buttons etc.

Second people still play on a real NES nowadays. You may not understand it, but they want to get the same experience, and not a watered down experience. Like switching to a virtual gamepad by pressing a button and instead of having an actual touchscreen, they would try to do the same with a mouse.

We already know that games like ZombiU suck on all other platforms, because of exactly that. It doesn't play as it was designed to play.

That's like playing Super Mario Bros with a PC keyboard, but even way worse than that.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Will my wii u console and gamepad still work in 10+ years?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived