• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Star Fox 0 is far and away my least favorite Star Fox title

User Info: TheBLD

TheBLD
3 years ago#1
So we've heard about the lack of content. The divisive control scheme. The middling graphics. But how does the game that's actually there compare to past Star Fox titles?

Pretty poorly. No, very poorly.

Let's talk about what this game's got, first of all. Star Fox 64 focused on on-rails action, with some healthy variety in all-range mode, and a few alternate vehicles that were also on-rails. Starfox Assault had a lot less on-rails, and even those who like the game tend to agree it should have had more on-rails stuff.

But Star Fox 0 has fixed that, right? No. If anything it's worse. I played through what I believe to be the default path of the game (as in, no special unlocks to secret stages, and I spent maybe 10% of my playtime actually going through on-rails stuff. And that's generous. There's simply a lot more "alternative" gameplay missions, and they all take much longer to finagle with than the fast-paced rails segments.

And even so, this game is about a 4-hour experience, at best. Most of this time is spent aimlessly drifting around while waiting for an all-range mode boss to get into a position that lets you hit them. Or clutzing around with the walker controls in terrible cramped-quarters segments. And for being so short, it's absolutely shameful that you play through Corneria twice. Not like, a different part of Corneria or anything. Literally the same exact route as the starting level, but with more/different enemies.

Notably, none of that on-rails time includes boss battles. Because there are no on-rails boss battles in the default path - and I'd be surprised if there were any in the other levels I've missed, for that matter. Oh, and just under half of the default path's levels don't have any bosses at all. Just a sudden, anti-climactic end.

What strikes me as oddest is that several of the boss battles you fight in all-range mode feel like they should have been on-rails fights. Maybe that's because they're pretty much just the same bosses from 64. The ones that were on-rails. But they're not, here. I mean, the bosses kind of sort of move with you at some points to make it seem pseudo on-rails, but it just doesn't control the same.

Speaking of controls - in theory, they work OK. I found myself recalibrating the gamepad a LOT more than I ever did for Splatoon or other games, and I can't figure why that is. I have to agree with the reviewers who said they really aren't necessary, though. And the game designers seemed to agree because they force the gimmick on you constantly. So frequently during boss battles and cutscenes, the TV screen pans out to a cinematic view. In theory, this is supposed to give you the "big picture", but in practice these shots are at such odd angles that it's impossible to control while actually watching the scene. So instead you're forced to keep your eyes glued to the bottom screen just to avoid crashing in the middle of a cutscene. Also, the walker's controls suck. Or rather, they're OK in wider areas but the game always makes you do these really s***ty platform segments with it and it's just not fun.

The dialogue is good, but I walked away feeling like it was a bit sparser than the N64 game's script. But the banter that is there is solid as ever, and Kat in particular got away with some very funny lines.

As for the rest of the sound design though? There was some good music somewhere under there, but it's buried underneath the gamepad audio. The gamepad in this game plays the audio for your wingmate's voices, alongside a variety of very loud engine and swoosh SFX that really obscure the TV's audio if you're sitting even a few feet away from your television. And there's no option to disable this, and voices ONLY play through the gamepad. So you've got to do some finagling with the volume on both your TV and gamepad to get all of the sound to an acceptable balance.
01067-72704
92980-02562

TheBLD
3 years ago#2
My favorite level was a fast-paced one towards the end, where your ship moves in double time. Unfortunately this part is over very quickly, and you'll find yourself spending 2 or 3 times as long as you spent on the on-rails section whittling down a bland boss that rips off one of the very earlygame bosses from 64.

Overall, the whole package is just abysmal. I went into this not knowing what to expect, and found myself actually really enjoying the first stage. I got the hang of the controls, and looked forward to what the rest of the game had in store. The answer, as it turns out, was disappointment.

I would not buy this game if I could go back and prevent it. I could not recommend to you any Starfox game less than I would this game. And I don't speak very fondly of Assault and Command, either, so that's a pretty low bar to fail.
01067-72704
92980-02562

User Info: Avirosb

Avirosb
3 years ago#3
So what I got from this is that your don't really like Star Fox games all that much.
Ever get the feeling GameFAQs admins likes jumping to conclusions more than reading? How's that for an original internet complaint =\

TheBLD
3 years ago#4
Avirosb posted...
So what I got from this is that your don't really like Star Fox games all that much.

I adore the original, 64, and some parts of Assault. 0 is lacking so much of what made those games fun.
01067-72704
92980-02562

Avirosb
3 years ago#5
TheBLD posted...
Avirosb posted...
adore the original, 64, and some parts of Assault. 0 is lacking so much of what made those games fun.
Such as? 64 doesn't seem particularly engaging to me,someone with no particular interest in rail shooters.

How long did it take to beat those games?
Ever get the feeling GameFAQs admins likes jumping to conclusions more than reading? How's that for an original internet complaint =\

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
3 years ago#6
Avirosb posted...
How long did it take to beat those games?

Initial clear for Starfox 64 can usually be 2-3 hours, depending on how good you are.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

User Info: nonexistinghero

nonexistinghero
3 years ago#7
Guys from GameXplain and the Completionist are saying it takes like 10-20 hours to get used to the controls and to get a good feel for it --> TC pretends he mastered the controls after 4 or so hours.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

User Info: ukokira1

ukokira1
3 years ago#8
nonexistinghero posted...
Guys from GameXplain and the Completionist are saying it takes like 10-20 hours to get used to the controls and to get a good feel for it --> TC pretends he mastered the controls after 4 or so hours.

It took about an hour for me.

It's not that hard=get good.
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.23

User Info: Jumpmandk

Jumpmandk
3 years ago#9
Thanks for the review TC, as your thoughts appear to be spot on from what I have read from others and seen in video's. Why "N" is hell bent on just ruining games that where fine as they where is beyond my understanding, but at this point I hardly buy any games from them anymore, as games from previous generations are so much better.

I'm all for making changes that add to, or improve existing games, but what these guys are currently doing just doesn't seem to work 9 out of 10 times. A game like this should have taken 12 months to release, then it wouldn't be so bad, but taking years to release mediocre titles is just bad.

I've always loved this company, and still do to a much smaller degree, but at this point, I'm just not really interested in much they do any more. From region locking, to changing games, not offering systems and LE here that other countries get, I'm just about done giving these guys a dime.

Avirosb
3 years ago#10
Jumpmandk posted...
Thanks for the review TC, as your thoughts appear to be spot on from what I have read from others and seen in video's.
Why "N" is hell bent on just ruining games that where fine as they where is beyond my understanding,
By making them longer?
People tell me Star Fox 64 was shorter.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Star Fox 0 is far and away my least favorite Star Fox title
  • Topic Archived