• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why Nintendo NX Will be Digital Only

User Info: SampsonM

SampsonM
6 years ago#1
I predicted on this forum several times in the last two years that Nintendo would be the first major console maker to go digital-only -- before Microsoft, before Sony.

Why? Three reasons.

1. First and foremost, money. Microsoft and Sony are not big publishers. They publish flagship games, sure, but the majority of Xbox/PlayStation games are made by third parties. This stands in contrast to Nintendo, which publishes the majority of games sold on its hardware. When a company like Activision sells a game -- digital or disc -- they pay roughly a 20% cut. If it's a disc, the store (Gamestop, Best Buy, etc) gets that 20%. If it's digital, Microsoft or Sony gets it. With Nintendo, if they sell a disc, they pay a 20% cut to the store. If they sell a digital copy, they keep all the money because it's their console. Going fully digital would result, essentially, in a 20% margin improvement on their games, which is huge.

2. Cross hardware compatibility. If they want their games to run on different hardware, establishing an account system similar to Steam makes the most sense.

3. Nintendo isn't interested in the traditional console market, and they haven't been for a long time. They're still going after, primarily, kids and families. Kids now play games on their iPad -- all iPad games are digital-only games. Kids don't care about discs, and in fact, probably find the concept bizarre.

There will probably be a disc-based version of the NX released in certain markets, but I think in the United States, it will be completely digital.
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.

User Info: Paulf001

Paulf001
6 years ago#2
Here is why digital only isn't so good.

1. Many rural areas only have dial up internet.
2. Many places in the US who do have broadband still have very slow speeds taking over a day to download a single game making you leave your machine on all day and not being able to play it while its downloading.
3. Parents will not have the ability to buy a game for their kid. Kid asks mom to get him Mario Kart for his birthday well now she can't because the games are digital only.

SampsonM
6 years ago#3
Paulf001 posted...

2. Many places in the US who do have broadband still have very slow speeds taking over a day to download a single game making you leave your machine on all day and not being able to play it while its downloading.
3. Parents will not have the ability to buy a game for their kid. Kid asks mom to get him Mario Kart for his birthday well now she can't because the games are digital only.

1. People on dialup are not a big part of the video game market. Collecting 20% more outweighs the consequences of alienating a handful of consumers.
2. There are solutions to this, like start playing once the download hits 20%, preloading, etc.
3. How do parents buy their kids iPad games?
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He dont know why they choose him and hes usually too busy to wonder why.

User Info: JellaTins

JellaTins
6 years ago#4
SampsonM posted...
How do parents buy their kids iPad games?

They don't. Most of them are free nowadays.

SampsonM
6 years ago#5
JellaTins posted...
SampsonM posted...
How do parents buy their kids iPad games?

They don't. Most of them are free nowadays.

Minecraft isn't. And that's the most popular kids game.

Also, when I was a kid in the mid 90s, every Christmas I would get a few boxed gifts, and I would get a stocking. The stocking was full of a couple small gifts. Usually, it was a couple CDs, or a couple of books, sometimes a DVD or two. All three of things are now primarily digital-only. So what do parents do? They buy their kids currency cards, or other things (Amiibo, accessories,whatever).

User Info: SoraNoZenith

SoraNoZenith
6 years ago#6
Paulf001 posted...

1. Those same rural areas are more likely to NOT have dial up internet than having retailers.
2. My country has notoriously bad internet and we can download 17 GB Wii U games in less than 6 hours.
3. This isn't the 90s anymore. If the kid can tell his parents where the games are in physical form they can tell their parents where to download.
Fox's current bell-head design sucks.
Yes I'm obsessed.

User Info: I_phantom

I_phantom
6 years ago#7
NX being digital only would be an absolute disaster. The Xbox One's reputation took years to recover from the proposed DRM stuff and the NX would undoubtedly be worse.

User Info: Master_Zebra

Master_Zebra
6 years ago#8
Why the hell most people think the NX will be digital only? Just because the disk-less console patent? The 3DS is a disk-less console yet it isn't digital only. The NX could use SD cards for game storage.

Why must everyone jump into conclusions the moment something gets announced?

User Info: hyrulelsl

hyrulelsl
6 years ago#9
Not buying it if its digital only.
Finally did it.

User Info: PauperPaul

PauperPaul
6 years ago#10
I predict they'll probably go the SD card route rather than full digital. I'm pretty sure they know digital-only would be suicide for the NX. Or maybe they don't, I dunno.

Just being hopeful.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why Nintendo NX Will be Digital Only
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A