• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can a Wii U be connected to a PC/laptop?

User Info: Paprika2215

Paprika2215
6 years ago#1
Yo!

So I've got a new Wii U for my birthday! I'm super thrilled, and as I'm typing this post the console is performing its first update before it'll allow me to connect to the internet and sync the Nintendo Network ID with my 3DS XL's.

My question is a simple one: can I connect the Wii U to my laptop with a HDMI cord? Our neighbor (he's pretty knowledgeable with technology) thinks it should work. Our TV sits beneath a skylight and thanks to all the sun you can barely see what's going on on the screen. The same goes for the Wii U's touch screen...

I really hope this'll work. I do have another TV I could use solely for my new Wii U, but the other one is a HDTV and this one isn't. I thought an HDTV should go very well with the Wii U's HD graphical capabilities! I suppose I'll find out soon enough. If anyone knows about this or has perhaps even tried it before, please tell me how I should go about this. :)

Paprika2215, over and out!
"Not knowing what a funyarinpa is is blasphemous."
--Junpei, from the visual novel game, 'Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors'

User Info: SyCo_VeNoM

SyCo_VeNoM
6 years ago#2
well if the laptop allows HDMI in, and will display the image on the screen like a TV sure as in theory it would just function as a screen... but I just never seen a laptop with that though.
AstralFrost: I need to be able to say that PSN alone outsold every aspect of the competition otherwise I don't think I can live with myself.

User Info: Eoin

Eoin
6 years ago#3
It's rare for laptop HDMI ports to work as input ports - almost all of them are exclusively for outputting from the laptop to another display.

This makes connecting any console to a laptop quite difficult and inconvenient to the point where it simply might not be worth it. The most common way of doing this is through a capture card, which takes a HDMI input and can send it to a laptop over USB - they're intended for recording/streaming but they also allow the console's output to be viewed on a laptop screen.

They're generally not super-expensive but there's lots of makes and models and the quality and reliability might be dodgy, especially for cheaper ones, to the extent that it might be easier just to buy a monitor.

User Info: smashmaster1111

smashmaster1111
6 years ago#4
only if you have hdmi in ports on the device. Most computers do not have this since typically you want output from your computer. I had a computer with some video in ports on it once, but it had been advertised partially as a multimedia computer and other then that one i've never had a computer with that built in

Paprika2215
6 years ago#5
Well, my laptop is a new model, and it most certainly has a port for a HDMI cord. The question is now: will my laptop handle HD graphics?

I have several options at my disposal in my home. We own an awesome 3D TV, but it has been awkwardly positioned beneath one of our living room's skylights, which makes it very difficult to see what's happening on-screen. The same goes for the Wii U gamepad, of course, because to be able to see the screen clearly I have to sit right below that very same skylight. Why has my mother put the TV there in the first place? It's very inconvenient, lolz.

My second option is a TV monitor I have once used as a computer screen. At the moment all power sockets are occupied, but perhaps I can find some way around that obstacle. We just don't know which power cords to remove and which ones to leave alone.

So that's why I'm asking about a laptop connection. I suppose I'll just have to try it out and see how things go or something? Before I do, I want to know if this can cause damage to my laptop and/or Wii U in any way, because if that's possible I obviously won't go through with this idea. :P
--Junpei, from the visual novel game, 'Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors'

User Info: Eoin

Eoin
6 years ago#6
Paprika2215 posted...
Well, my laptop is a new model, and it most certainly has a port for a HDMI cord.

We know your laptop has a HDMI port. However, it is almost certainly an output port, not an input port. It is therefore unlikely to be any good to you.

User Info: ArroganceMalice

ArroganceMalice
6 years ago#7
Paprika2215 posted...
Well, my laptop is a new model, and it most certainly has a port for a HDMI cord. The question is now: will my laptop handle HD graphics?

I have several options at my disposal in my home. We own an awesome 3D TV, but it has been awkwardly positioned beneath one of our living room's skylights, which makes it very difficult to see what's happening on-screen. The same goes for the Wii U gamepad, of course, because to be able to see the screen clearly I have to sit right below that very same skylight. Why has my mother put the TV there in the first place? It's very inconvenient, lolz.

My second option is a TV monitor I have once used as a computer screen. At the moment all power sockets are occupied, but perhaps I can find some way around that obstacle. We just don't know which power cords to remove and which ones to leave alone.

So that's why I'm asking about a laptop connection. I suppose I'll just have to try it out and see how things go or something? Before I do, I want to know if this can cause damage to my laptop and/or Wii U in any way, because if that's possible I obviously won't go through with this idea. :P

The laptop won't have anything to do with the graphics? Why do you think it will?
"We each play out the parts fate has written for us. Free will is an illusion."
I have never seen the truth hurt more than here on GameFAQs.

Paprika2215
6 years ago#8
Eoin posted...
Paprika2215 posted...
Well, my laptop is a new model, and it most certainly has a port for a HDMI cord.

We know your laptop has a HDMI port. However, it is almost certainly an output port, not an input port. It is therefore unlikely to be any good to you.

Hmm, that's a shame. Is it still worth it to give it a try anyways? Thanks for your help, Eoin!

ArroganceMalice posted...
Paprika2215 posted...

The laptop won't have anything to do with the graphics? Why do you think it will?

'Cause I'm not much of a tech geek, heheh. :P I just thought so because I've used a Nintendo DS emulator recently, and the game I played was all laggy (even the sound/music) if I didn't plug the charger in. It seemed like my laptop just couldn't handle the pressure, haha.

User Info: Steelix500

Steelix500
6 years ago#9
Just try it. It's not like your laptop will be damaged if it doesn't work.

User Info: BlueDsc

BlueDsc
6 years ago#10
Steelix500 posted...
Just try it. It's not like your laptop will be damaged if it doesn't work.

*Kaboom*
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can a Wii U be connected to a PC/laptop?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A