• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. So what exactly IS Nintendo's Youtube Policies?

User Info: Mandrew257

Mandrew257
6 years ago#1
I want to start making youtube videos.(just uploaded my first video yesterday actually. see sig if interested! :D), but let's say I wanted to review a game or even just play one, do I need some type of permission? I want to do Smash, but don't know if there'd be consequences. Are we allowed to play older Nintendo games and just not newer ones? What's the deal. And I know something regarding their music is an issue. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Follow me on Youtube! :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC03ZrnvwWtFO_D81dIMSPWA

User Info: DBean

DBean
6 years ago#2
YouTube has this thing called Content ID which prevents you from making money off of a video if it finds that it belongs to a third-party. For instance, I have playthroughs of Mario, Mega Man, and some Castlevania games on my channel. Nintendo has Content ID matched Mario, Capcom for some of the Mega Man, and Konami for Castlevania.

In all three cases, I can still upload gameplay videos just fine. It just comes down to when you try and make money off of them that it becomes a problem. You can upload videos of Mario Kart 8 or Smash just fine without Nintendo having a problem with it. It will just say that there was a match.

Most importantly, a Content ID match isn't the same thing as a copyright strike which can get your channel in trouble. I have two of those because I also put up Mega Man music on my channel that a company that teamed up with Capcom worked on and flexed their muscle after a two-year wait. Oy. That's on me for doing soundtrack uploads instead of going for playthroughs, which most companies don't have a problem with at this point.

User Info: Mandrew257

Mandrew257
6 years ago#3
^So I'm allowed to upload Nintendo games, just can't make money off of them? And I can use their songs ONLY if it's coming directly from the game, and I'm not just uploading the song by itself?
Follow me on Youtube! :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC03ZrnvwWtFO_D81dIMSPWA

DBean
6 years ago#4
I have some Nintendo songs up on my channel, too, so I'm fine on that end. It's just best not to upload music of any kind because you never know when another party will step up to claim stuff. Anytime I've had copyright issues, it's always been because of a non-gaming company.

User Info: 587Deathking

587Deathking
6 years ago#5
If you do like lets play of stuff your voice can drown out the music in the video
What would an A.I know about freedom?

User Info: Ninjaluver

Ninjaluver
6 years ago#6
DBean posted...
YouTube has this thing called Content ID which prevents you from making money off of a video if it finds that it belongs to a third-party. For instance, I have playthroughs of Mario, Mega Man, and some Castlevania games on my channel. Nintendo has Content ID matched Mario, Capcom for some of the Mega Man, and Konami for Castlevania.

In all three cases, I can still upload gameplay videos just fine. It just comes down to when you try and make money off of them that it becomes a problem. You can upload videos of Mario Kart 8 or Smash just fine without Nintendo having a problem with it. It will just say that there was a match.

Most importantly, a Content ID match isn't the same thing as a copyright strike which can get your channel in trouble. I have two of those because I also put up Mega Man music on my channel that a company that teamed up with Capcom worked on and flexed their muscle after a two-year wait. Oy. That's on me for doing soundtrack uploads instead of going for playthroughs, which most companies don't have a problem with at this point.

Why does Youtube have this but Twitch doesn't? Twitch essentially revolves around making money off gameplay content and nobody is fussing about it.

DBean
6 years ago#7
Twitch will flat-out mute whole half hour chunks if you use copyrighted material, so they do.

User Info: Ninjaluver

Ninjaluver
6 years ago#8
DBean posted...
Twitch will flat-out mute whole half hour chunks if you use copyrighted material, so they do.

What? But all the material on twitch is copyrighted......it's all just straight gameplay with sounds/music left in tact.

DBean
6 years ago#9
Some companies don't want you doing certain things. Other people will put on music over the gameplay. If Twitch's auto-flagging thing picks it up, the video will be muted on playback.

User Info: StriderVM

StriderVM
6 years ago#10
The simplest summary is "If you try to make money with your videos with their stuff on it, expect problems."
Hope for the Best. But expect the worst.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. So what exactly IS Nintendo's Youtube Policies?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A