How are Ubisoft and Nintendo any different?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. How are Ubisoft and Nintendo any different?

User Info: Lefty128k

Lefty128k
3 years ago#111
pokemega32 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
Any Nintendo game, at this point. Since they actually have the resources to include all those things and refuse to. They leave out all of that so they can do things like make 6+ games a year with Mario in it to make a quick buck off their customers.

1. You act like voice acting and graphics somehow heavily slow down development.

2. There's nothing wrong with the graphics in any of the games you listed.

3. Nearly all of those games are made by entirely different development teams and two of them weren't even made by Nintendo.

4. Online multiplayer wouldn't even make sense in some of those games, like Mario & Luigi.

Putting work into graphics to make them more modern, and providing for voice actors is obviously going to take more time.

I didn't say they were wrong, I said they weren't modern and thus consequently cheap to produce.

They all involve Nintendo properties. Nintendo doesn't just freely give permission for companies to use them willy-nilly.

Maybe not that game, but most of the games it does make sense for lack modern online features. 3D World for instance.

Lefty128k
3 years ago#112
strawhatmonty97 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
pokemega32 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
I didn't say rushed or no effort, I said low dev times.

You said shovelware. Shovelware is rushed games with little to no effort.

By that I mean intentionally low dev times, due to the sheer lack of work these games take. Without modern graphics you've cut out a large chunk of time right there, no voice cuts out time and money, minimal online efforts even more so.

So by your definition, any game that doesn't have "modern" (realistic?) graphics, voice-acting and online, is basically shovelware?

Shovelware can speak to quantity or quality, not just quality.

Any Nintendo game, at this point. Since they actually have the resources to include all those things and refuse to. They leave out all of that so they can do things like make 6+ games a year with Mario in it to make a quick buck off their customers.

I don't think quantity is an Issue. From a first glance it's "look at all these Mario games" but all of them are part of a series that had not had a previous entry in a decent amount of time. Mario and Luigi's last game was a couple years ago. The Mario VS DK series last game was around 2011 2012, New Super Mario Bros games are part of a series with a once per system schedule, Luigi U was DLC with a good amount of content. Mario Kart Kart's last game was in 2011 and is part of a once per system schedule Dr. Luigi is... a quick game to pull off a year of luigi thing? I mean the last Dr. Mario game, if I'm not mistaken, was a DSi title. Super Mario 3D World is supposed to be part of the main mario series which happens once a system but I kinda want something else. I love 3D World but I want the charm of the past Mario games.

Anyway, one game that can actually be considered milked is Mario Party. 4 of em' on the gamecube alone. Point is you won't see another MK, 3DW or NSMB game until the next system.

You miss the point entirely.

Mario "himself" is the thing being shoveled out to you to make a quick buck.

User Info: pokemega32

pokemega32
3 years ago#113
Lefty128k posted...
Putting work into graphics to make them more modern, and providing for voice actors is obviously going to take more time.

But they take next to no time at all in comparison to creating the actual gameplay.

Saying that the game counts as shovelware because they didn't hire voice actors and didn't make the graphics amazing is kind of insane.

Those are the least important parts of game development.

I didn't say they were wrong, I said they weren't modern and thus consequently cheap to produce.

What do you even mean by "modern"? What graphics are you comparing them to?

They all involve Nintendo properties. Nintendo doesn't just freely give permission for companies to use them willy-nilly.

...what?

I'm pointing out that the number of games released means nothing in terms of development time/effort when entirely different development teams are making them.

Maybe not that game, but most of the games it does make sense for lack modern online features. 3D World for instance.

Luigi's Mansion, Dr. Luigi & Mario & Sonic all have online multiplayer.

So 3D World and Mario Party are the only two that lack it.
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories

Lefty128k
3 years ago#114
pokemega32 posted...
Lefty128k posted...

But they take next to no time at all in comparison to creating the actual gameplay.

Saying that the game counts as shovelware because they didn't hire voice actors and didn't make the graphics amazing is kind of insane.

Those are the least important parts of game development.

What do you even mean by "modern"? What graphics are you comparing them to?

...what?

I'm pointing out that the number of games released means nothing in terms of development time/effort when entirely different development teams are making them.

Luigi's Mansion, Dr. Luigi & Mario & Sonic all have online multiplayer.

So 3D World and Mario Party are the only two that lack it.

Yes they do, it takes lots of time to tune graphics to the desired level of performance. You're just making nonsense declarations about development priorities.

That would be insane, if I were saying that. I'm not, you're just suffering from Nintendo fanboy induced illiteracy. What I said was that since it's Nintendo who can afford that stuff, but don't...that makes it shovelware. They skip steps to cut down dev time and cost so they can pump out title after title.

Again, you're just making blanket declarations of how you think development priorities work. While my argument stems on the logical and obvious truth that cutting out stuff makes games cheaper to produce.

You don't understand what graphics I'm comparing Nintendo games to if I say modern graphics?
Pull out a dictionary and learn what 'modern' means.

Yeah, and all three of those games have low-budget online modes. Exactly the kind of thing Nintendo would do. Don't act like that puts them in league with CoD or GTAonline. You can't even voice chat in MK8 during the race when you'd want to coordinate the most. Another low-budget move.

User Info: Mattatron42

Mattatron42
3 years ago#115
No voice over work and/or realistic graphics makes a game shovelware now? Lefty you really need a dictionary. And didn't this whole argument stem from me saying ubisoft put out more shovelware than nintendo, keyword being more, has anyone even disputed that claim?
3ds fc: 4940-5666-3487 psnID: Mattatron36
NNID: Mattatron

User Info: pokemega32

pokemega32
3 years ago#116
I give up. I have no idea how to respond anymore.

No. I am not just making blanket statements. It goes without saying that the graphics take a lot less work than the combined entire rest of the game's development. It's just common sense.

And again, I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of "modern graphics." Super Mario 3D World looks pretty great. I'm not sure if you're arguing that it should look like a PS4/Xbox One game (which the Wii U is literally incapable of handling) or if Mario should look realistic.

The fact that you changed your argument from "The games don't have online multiplayer" to "The online isn't good enough" despite seemingly not even knowing they had any implies you're just trolling.

The idea that if a company could afford voice acting, marginally better graphics and online multiplayer but decided not to include them does not make a game shovelware, and it's completely insane to think that.
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories

User Info: Mattatron42

Mattatron42
3 years ago#117
pokemega32 posted...

No. I am not just making blanket statements. It goes without saying that the graphics take a lot less work than the combined entire rest of the game's development. It's just common sense.

And again, I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of "modern graphics." Super Mario 3D World looks pretty great. I'm not sure if you're arguing that it should look like a PS4/Xbox One game (which the Wii U is literally incapable of handling) or if Mario should look realistic.

The fact that you changed your argument from "The games don't have online multiplayer" to "The online isn't good enough" despite seemingly not even knowing they had any implies you're just trolling.

The idea that if a company could afford voice acting, marginally better graphics and online multiplayer but decided not to include them does not make a game shovelware, and it's completely insane to think that.

It is Lefty he will stick to his argument no matter how wrong it is, it got so bad he claimed any game without voice overs are shovelware, which is ridiculous. He is trolling this board almost everyday, you'd be wise to not even engage in any discussions with lefty.
3ds fc: 4940-5666-3487 psnID: Mattatron36
NNID: Mattatron

User Info: Granadico_

Granadico_
3 years ago#118
Mattatron42 posted...
pokemega32 posted...

It is Lefty he will stick to his argument no matter how wrong it is, it got so bad he claimed any game without voice overs are shovelware, which is ridiculous. He is trolling this board almost everyday, you'd be wise to not even engage in any discussions with lefty.

Yeah just ignore Lefty. He's blatantly admitted to learning how to insult people without getting modded. He's also claimed Mario Kart is a rip off of Pole Position because they both feature karts. Along with a myriad of other terrible things.

User Info: Zerothma

Zerothma
3 years ago#119
Lefty128k posted...
PrincessTsuki posted...
PS4Warrior posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
PS4Warrior posted...
No falling here. No one has even tackled my argument. If what i'm saying is incorrect then you'd think you guys would be falling head over heels to dispute it, but nope. Nothing.

No need for tackling. You fell on your own.

So tell me then. How is Ubisoft making Horsez petz or whatever any different then Nintendo putting Nintendogs and Cats on their handhelds? How is making Just Dance, or any other music based game shovelware when Nintendo put out Wii Music? It's literally the same thing.

Simple. How many generations of Nintendogs have there been? 2 (7 games total). How many versions of Wii Music are there? 1.

Now, how many Just Dance, Raving Rabbids, Imagine, and Petz games have been released?

Nintendo makes bad games when they try something new. Ubisoft makes bad games to make a quick buck off of casuals.

Nintendo 2013 releases:

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario Kart Arcade GP DX
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move
Super Mario 3D World
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Mario Party: Island Tour
Dr. Luigi
NES Remix

At least 7 of these have Mario in it as a major character, 6 of them are well within the Mario "property".

You say Ubisoft makes bad games to make a quick buck off of casuals.
Nintendo shoves Mario in everything to make a quick buck off of fanboys.

Aww look guys, Lefty is trying to make that list again! Looks like he wants to join PS4Warrior flat on his face, just like last time he tried to make the list.

Go on, we're still waiting for your legendary list!
3DS FC: 3909 - 7680 - 8446
"A delayed game is eventually good, while a bad game is bad forever."-Shigeru Miyamoto

User Info: R_Hunter

R_Hunter
3 years ago#120
Ah Lefty. He keeps making laughable posts, but he still keeps going. You have to admire that tenacity.
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. How are Ubisoft and Nintendo any different?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived