Star Fox Could Be a Huge Seller

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Star Fox Could Be a Huge Seller

User Info: xaine866

xaine866
4 years ago#11
Why not an RPG with space travel/combat?

Because, like I said in my comment, 64 fans would hate the game since it doesn't play like or it's not the same as 64.
You don't need a reason to help people.

User Info: FuzzyJello

FuzzyJello
4 years ago#12
There is something to be done with it, absolutely. Assault laid a ton of good groundwork for a mutliplayer setup, and the series is approaching a point where its length of absence could stir up interest on its own.

A question, though; how many high-budget, "contemporary standard" rail shooters have we actually gotten in recent years? The RE Chronicles games and House of the Dead overkill are the only contenders I can think of that shot that high. If anything, Star Fox should be in the region of Fire Emblem, where you can make something impressive for less money by nature of the game's design- perhaps even moreso.

User Info: universaltofu

universaltofu
4 years ago#13
The story would just be a mess though, especially since all the dialogue would be all 'hatee hatee hatee ho barrel roll!'
Recently played : The Banner Saga, Broken Age act 1

User Info: ninjaa1

ninjaa1
4 years ago#14
Not really, people just don't seem to care for nintendo franchises in my opinion (except for people who care enough to buy them of course)this gen. Who's gonna go from having purchased an xbone and ps4 to downgrading a bit for "better" games? Not many except diehards/hardcore gamers. Also beleive they will all have must owns along the line. I personally chose a wii u over a ps4. In time I must get them all, too many good games coming out on all consoles.

Personally I'd buy any new nintendo game that comes out if its good, that's why I have a wii u...oh abd nobody will hear about it of course

User Info: Jack_the_monke7

Jack_the_monke7
4 years ago#15
Every Star Fox topic highlights the key issue this franchise has: fans are all over the place. Half the people say build on Assault, half the people say make it just like 64.

If the game is similar to 64 it'll only have a limited appeal. Modern gamers honestly just aren't too interested in a game that is purely on-rails shooter. There's only so much you can do with that setup. If the game is similar to Assault, well have a better chance for interesting gameplay ideas, but the 64 purists will complain.

Honestly I think Assault and Command both did some great things that should carry on moving forward (Adventures was great, but very unusual for the series). Improved on-foot missions and multiplayer from Assault combined with the branching story and varied different playable characters from Command could make for a great game. 64 is great but the series expanded beyond that and shouldn't be limited so much.
King Boo for Super Smash Bros.
Spread the word, show your support

User Info: Lordrv

Lordrv
4 years ago#16
I loved Starfox Command, didn't care for the GCN Namco developed Starfox game tho.

User Info: Natureboy99

Natureboy99
4 years ago#17
Jack_the_monke7 posted...
Every Star Fox topic highlights the key issue this franchise has: fans are all over the place. Half the people say build on Assault, half the people say make it just like 64.

If the game is similar to 64 it'll only have a limited appeal. Modern gamers honestly just aren't too interested in a game that is purely on-rails shooter. There's only so much you can do with that setup. If the game is similar to Assault, well have a better chance for interesting gameplay ideas, but the 64 purists will complain.

Honestly I think Assault and Command both did some great things that should carry on moving forward (Adventures was great, but very unusual for the series). Improved on-foot missions and multiplayer from Assault combined with the branching story and varied different playable characters from Command could make for a great game. 64 is great but the series expanded beyond that and shouldn't be limited so much.

The funny thing is, Sony is basically making what every star fox fan wants. Its a little known franchise called ratchet and clank. It has rail shooting, plus third person action adventure. Its even on Vita. Oh and they did F-Zero too. Its called wipeout. Both franchises are great, and judging by the state of Nintendo's devs, they won't be topping these franchises any time soon.
Voted class of 2079 most likely to abuse time travel

User Info: Lupinus7

Lupinus7
4 years ago#18
I think that if Nintendo brought Rail Shooters back in a big way, they could be big sellers again. Just look at KI:U, which sold well even with mixed reviews. There could be a huge, untapped market, just waiting for a new Star Fox to satisfy them....

Also, what if it had a co-op mode? Like horde mode from halo or gears? Nintendo won't let kids shoot each other, but a wave-based co-op mode where you shoot down a bunch of enemy ships would probably be fine with them, not to mention fun as hell.

User Info: wombatkidd

wombatkidd
4 years ago#19
Lupinus7 posted...
I think that if Nintendo brought Rail Shooters back in a big way, they could be big sellers again. Just look at KI:U, which sold well even with mixed reviews. There could be a huge, untapped market, just waiting for a new Star Fox to satisfy them....

Also, what if it had a co-op mode? Like horde mode from halo or gears? Nintendo won't let kids shoot each other, but a wave-based co-op mode where you shoot down a bunch of enemy ships would probably be fine with them, not to mention fun as hell.

1: Star Fox will NEVER be a system seller. A new Star Fox game would be a good game, no doubt, but Star Fox hasn't sold at all since the N64. Even the other on rail shooter that you conveniently forgot existed only sold about 1 million copies. (attach rate approx 4.7%)

2: Nintendo will let kids shoot each other. Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer battles.
---
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

User Info: Lupinus7

Lupinus7
4 years ago#20
wombatkidd posted...
Lupinus7 posted...

1: Star Fox will NEVER be a system seller. A new Star Fox game would be a good game, no doubt, but Star Fox hasn't sold at all since the N64. Even the other on rail shooter that you conveniently forgot existed only sold about 1 million copies. (attach rate approx 4.7%)

2: Nintendo will let kids shoot each other. Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer battles.

True, they made another Star Fox rail shooter. It also had very mixed reviews. If they nailed the formula, added new game modes that could appeal to different audiences (horde mode, multiplayer battles, etc.) then it could surprise us. Star Fox is a still a well known brand name, and if it becomes known that Nintendo revived an old franchise, and did so brilliantly, then they might be able to attract a crowd.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Star Fox Could Be a Huge Seller

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived