• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Are Wii U games made on a Blu ray disc?

User Info: Eoin

Eoin
7 years ago#31
digiblaster posted...
I apologise - I must have misunderstood. I remember reading something to do with not supporting Blu-ray and licensing fees were mentioned - I must have gotten mixed up somewhere.

The Wii U doesn't support Blu-ray movies and the discs are not officially Blu-ray discs (in the same way that Wii, Xbox, and Xbox 360 discs aren't officially DVDs). The only difference (in all cases) is the logical structure of the discs - physically they're identical. This is enough of a difference to make the disc technically not a Blu-ray. The fact that it's technically not a Blu-ray also means that Nintendo don't have to pay license fees, while at the same time, they get all the advantages of Blu-ray (good capacity, good read speed, established production system, cheap unit cost).

The downside is that Nintendo can't use the Blu-ray logo on any packaging, and can't call their discs Blu-rays (so they haven't, which is what causes topics like this). On the console side, the lack of licensing means that although they have a Blu-ray drive, they can't call it that, can't use the logo, and can't play Blu-ray movies. These are, I think most people would agree, relatively minor disadvantages from Nintendo's perspective.

digiblaster posted...
I thought the Blu-ray format was owned by Sony (or something to that effect) anyway?

Blu-ray is owned by a legal entity called the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA). Many companies, including Sony, are members of the BDA. Most importantly, Sony are members of pretty much all the patent pools associated with Blu-ray, so for every Blu-ray player or disc sold, they will end up getting some amount of money. Sony do not "control" the BDA - no one company really controls the BDA, it's almost like a democracy, although some key members (including Sony) do wield very disproportionately large amounts of influence.

However Blu-ray is a format with an open license structure. Anyone can buy the license, and nobody can stop them. I've sort of lost count of the amount of people on GameFAQs that I've seen claiming that Microsoft couldn't use Blu-ray because Sony own it (false) or wouldn't use Blu-ray because they don't want to pay money to Sony (they don't want to pay money to anyone, but don't mind paying Sony if that works out to be best for Microsoft).

User Info: Buretsu

Buretsu
7 years ago#32
TheBonfini posted...
Nintendo copying blurays while not giving any credit or fee. Classic.

They worked with Panasonic, you know...
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit

User Info: Eoin

Eoin
7 years ago#33
TheBonfini posted...

I'm unsure what you think Nintendo should have done. They don't have the huge resources devoted to researching and developing new types of optical discs that they'd need to create a competitive disc format. Even if they did, what they'd end up with would be something extremely close to Blu-ray anyway - the constraints of current technology and physics make that inevitable. So they used Blu-ray instead, because it's a perfectly good technology and doesn't need to be invented again. It's as close to a perfect choice for an optical disc format for next generation as there has ever been.

Having made that choice, they are actually legally prevented, by the BDA's licensing arrangements, from saying it's Blu-ray (because it's not, and the BDA own the term "Blu-ray" and limit its use to licensees only).

User Info: Icecreamdunwich

Icecreamdunwich
7 years ago#34
Kind of weird how Nintendo can do things like this and get away with it. If the next Xbox, for example, didn't have DVD or bluray movie playback we would never heard the end of it.

Oh well, just another case of fanboyism ruining a company.

User Info: Devil_wings00

Devil_wings00
7 years ago#35
GloryChaos posted...
Mixorz posted...
Wasn't that part of the reason game devs didn't develop as much on GameCube? Because the disk wasn't easily accessible.

I thought it was because the gamecube disks didn't hold as much space as the Xbox or Ps2 disks.

That and I really don't think disks are a huge factor in how developers make games these days.

GC didn't really miss out on to many third party games either if memory serves me. If it was a multi-plat it almost always came to the GC, PS2 and Xbox.
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).

User Info: TheBonfini

TheBonfini
7 years ago#36
Buretsu posted...
TheBonfini posted...

They worked with Panasonic, you know...

Just mocking the board. There's a Sony is a copycat topic up now.
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Are Wii U games made on a Blu ray disc?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers