Does this game have the worst companions ever??

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Does this game have the worst companions ever??

User Info: BlazingSpeed

BlazingSpeed
3 years ago#21
prodigydancer posted...
Almost any DA:I CNPC can be summed up in one sentence:

Cassandra: "...but I'm soft and sensitive on the inside."
Leliana: "Would you like to hear about my latest crisis of faith?"
Cullen: "I actually saw a blood mage from afar once and now I can't get over it."
Solas: "Is it obvious enough that I'm a *spoiler*?"
Varric: "How do you spell washed-out?"
Blackwall: "I don't know what fun is so I'm a recruiter for Grey Wardens."
Vivienne: "I hate you because you're not a pro-Circle fascist like myself."
Iron Bull: "Hey stranger, I'm a Qunary spy, let's be friends."
Dorian: "I'm gay 'cus I have daddy issues."
Sera: "My accent is annoying but my personality is even worse."
Cole: "Look at my weird hat."

Companions were already pretty shallow in DA2 but this cardboard crew takes BioWare writing problems to a whole new level. Josephine stands out a little. On DA:I scale I daresay she's almost real person deep. An exception that only emphasized the overall dullness.

And the rest of the game is just as fake. Poorly obscured narrow tunnels everywhere (open world my ass), mute NPCs standing in one place and staring blankly in front of them, boring conversation without a grain of sense, quests nobody cares about in the slightest - not even quest givers, Val Royeaux that looks like one large gay club, sea waves programmed apparently by a 10 years old. Everything is a fake and a lazy fake to boot.

Oh no not again but yeah that was pretty obvious based on the second conversation I had with the guy. Thedas needs some sort of test

Same with Leliana in the first convo she was already falling apart if that "pick a new divine" mess is true then Bioware's writing is really reaching for new low depths.

But yeah, I only played a little bit of DA2 even though I currently own it through a $12 Ultimate edition bundle and yeah not being able to talk to most npc's in DA:I (they just stand there doing nothing...) really takes a lot away from the experience.

Ha! Ha! the "sea waves" that instantly drown the Inquisitor ha! ha!

User Info: saiga6360

saiga6360
3 years ago#22
The only redeeming value of this RPG are the NPCs and their conversations. Find any other CRPG that had as much depth in that area in the last 5 years.

Let me save you the trouble: you won't.

User Info: DeusMortem

DeusMortem
3 years ago#23
I think Cassandra, Cole and Solas are great! Hate Sera, Josephine and Leliana with a passion, though.
I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space -- were it not that I have bad dreams ...

User Info: Pandaren Emperor

Pandaren Emperor
3 years ago#24
prodigydancer posted...
Almost any DA:I CNPC can be summed up in one sentence:

Cassandra: "...but I'm soft and sensitive on the inside."
Leliana: "Would you like to hear about my latest crisis of faith?"
Cullen: "I actually saw a blood mage from afar once and now I can't get over it."
Solas: "Is it obvious enough that I'm a *spoiler*?"
Varric: "How do you spell washed-out?"
Blackwall: "I don't know what fun is so I'm a recruiter for Grey Wardens."
Vivienne: "I hate you because you're not a pro-Circle fascist like myself."
Iron Bull: "Hey stranger, I'm a Qunary spy, let's be friends."
Dorian: "I'm gay 'cus I have daddy issues."
Sera: "My accent is annoying but my personality is even worse."
Cole: "Look at my weird hat."

Companions were already pretty shallow in DA2 but this cardboard crew takes BioWare writing problems to a whole new level. Josephine stands out a little. On DA:I scale I daresay she's almost real person deep. An exception that only emphasized the overall dullness.

And the rest of the game is just as fake. Poorly obscured narrow tunnels everywhere (open world my ass), mute NPCs standing in one place and staring blankly in front of them, boring conversation without a grain of sense, quests nobody cares about in the slightest - not even quest givers, Val Royeaux that looks like one large gay club, sea waves programmed apparently by a 10 years old. Everything is a fake and a lazy fake to boot.

how many open world game are filled with inconsequential NPCs that are so unique, distinctive and memorable? Most of them are just generics that fills the gaps and acts as props. The occasional one that acts as part of a quest stands out slightly, if at all. This happens to all open world games, not just DAI

and DAI hardly has the most unlikeable companions, try DAII, where Anders, Sebastian and Fenris plagues the roster.
Warden: A little hostile, are we?
Sten: Many humans have said that to me. I do not understand it. If I was indeed hostile, you would be bleeding.

User Info: BoopToWin

BoopToWin
3 years ago#25
I actually believe DA:I did a pretty good job of creating characters with multiple layers to them. Several of them I can understand their viewpoints, disagree with them, have them disagree with me, and also like/dislike different things about them all at once. Kinda like with real people.

Oddly enough the companion I like the least is the Iron Bull, which I know is an unpopular opinion. Everything about Bull makes me feel like he's just a cheap/easy joke waiting to happen. I feel like his character was trying too hard to do well...everything. Trying too hard to fit in with the Qun, while also portraying it more positively, while also trying to be nothing like the Qun, while also disliking any pointing out that that's the case. His reactions to asking anything about the Qun/his past give a tone of reluctance/distaste. Granted I can appreciate being annoyed at having to educate someone about your culture, but when you admit to being a spy for a relatively misunderstood group of people/religion you can probably expect some questions. Plus I really just don't like him. "Teehee I'll have sex with anything that moves" type characters take a lot more for me to connect/relate to. With Zevran it was relevant to the kind of life he'd lived, and his character deepens somewhat from that conversation if you romance him. Even if it was kind of a typical "Player settling down for one they truly love" scenario, it helped ground him. With Bull I feel like the identity conflict presented for him in his personal quest had already been resolved before you were involved with it. You just encourage him to cement a decision that he will either live with and seem to be unhappier about, or live with and seem to be happier about. I don't feel his character develops much I guess. He pretty much starts and ends as a walking, drunken, and violent erection. Not that that's inherently bad, it simply doesn't appeal to me. He doesn't seem to connect to you on a very personal level.

But the game's characters give me something to think about/want to discuss, and in that way they did their job. If they were bad or uninteresting I probably wouldn't have anything to say lol.

User Info: clowning

clowning
3 years ago#26
I think the problem is that Bioware's companions are getting stale. They all have some major baggage/emotional issues we have to help them through...I'd like some mature adult companions for a change, not a bunch of mental and emotional teen-agers.
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

User Info: prodigydancer

prodigydancer
3 years ago#27
Pandaren Emperor posted...
and DAI hardly has the most unlikeable companions, try DAII, where Anders, Sebastian and Fenris plagues the roster.

I played DA2. Twice. I was not a fan of Sebastian (for a DLC character he was incredibly bland especially if compared to Shale) but Anders was still more interesting than any of DA:I companions. And Fenris definitely beats Dorian. (Not that "runaway slave" is a very original background but it's better than "noble-born rebel" which is possibly the most worn out cliché of them all.) Merril was the worst. In retrospect she looks like a slightly more coherent and slightly less ugly version of Sera.

At least every DA2 companion had one unique skill tree. Here you don't get even that. OK, Varric still has his crossbow. He probably wouldn't if DA2 never happened.
Biodrones never learn.

User Info: Teepo

Teepo
3 years ago#28
clowning posted...
I think the problem is that Bioware's companions are getting stale. They all have some major baggage/emotional issues we have to help them through...I'd like some mature adult companions for a change, not a bunch of mental and emotional teen-agers.

thats the thing you don't change all of them. You can't change how Sera behaves or her views,, you can't stop Solas from doing what he sets out to do, the best you can do is show him that Elves of the present aren't worthless. What im saying is, unlike in DAO or DA2 were you either harden or soften most allies in this game many of them already have a deeply rooted opinion of themselves and the world that wont change even if you give them some nookie.
Teepo, the Dark Dragon of Destiny.

User Info: jetmasa

jetmasa
3 years ago#29
prodigydancer posted...
Pandaren Emperor posted...

I played DA2. Twice. I was not a fan of Sebastian (for a DLC character he was incredibly bland especially if compared to Shale) but Anders was still more interesting than any of DA:I companions. And Fenris definitely beats Dorian. (Not that "runaway slave" is a very original background but it's better than "noble-born rebel" which is possibly the most worn out cliché of them all.) Merril was the worst. In retrospect she looks like a slightly more coherent and slightly less ugly version of Sera.

At least every DA2 companion had one unique skill tree. Here you don't get even that. OK, Varric still has his crossbow. He probably wouldn't if DA2 never happened.

Each DA:I character has his/her own specialization tree that the others do not have. Although it's not unique in the sense that the Inquisitor can take up the same specialization with the same class.

I agree that Anders is very interesting, though maybe not the most, but still more interesting than Dorian or Vivienne. But Anders can't be more interesting than Solas. Even though Anders has more dimension and his story arc is more developed, Solas clearly has a great potential for a more developed story arc from that cliffhanger ending.

Yes, Sebastian was one-dimensional, and so is Talis, and they're both DLC characters. They both had a story arc with big potential to be explored in DA:I, but bioware didn't even make use of that. The same way they just killed Morrigan's OGB story arc.

It's hard to compare Fenris and Dorian, but just in my humble opinion, Dorian has more layers. But both have great potential for development if Bioware is introducing Tevinter in the next installment.

Merill and Sera are equally annoying to me. Totally different personalities, but kinda same sort. Although I did not like Sera very much, I have to say Sera has more personality (from the way she speaks in her own incoherence, her quirks, mannerisms, world views, etc.). The only thing I liked in Merill that I did not see in Sera was the inner conflict.

The DA:I roster isn't bad at all...

User Info: DeusMortem

DeusMortem
3 years ago#30
The only problem I have with the characters is that they're trying so hard to be politically correct that heterosexual characters become the exception. That's just silly.
I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space -- were it not that I have bad dreams ...
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Does this game have the worst companions ever??

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived